Game-Labs Forum

Pls, make sails look more real.

a flaping sail is stalling and as usefull for sailing like an flag.

a completly filled sail is solid.

I didn't say they should flap all the time. (Some sails in your video still flap) Even "filled sails" still sway, tremble and stir slightly, like this:https://youtu.be/JfqzMgkTJzg?t=191  Because they are made out of sailcloth, not cardboard.

The rig is a dynamic structure: yards sway, lines vibrate, gusts shake the luff and leach, even when sailing close-hauled, or on a bowline with the rig hard up against the wind.   

For the game, it might be enough to add a little bit of relative motion in the yards to liven up the motion.  Perhaps more when rolling and pitching, less when sailing close-hauled.

Perfect animations are expensive in terms of system resources and man-hours.

It would be nice to have an occasional shiver to the sails, however. Just something that would only render up close, on your own vessel.

We also need proper placement and textures for the reef bands, and the edges of some sails look like something that you'd see on a modern daysailer, where there should be a boltrope.

• Like 1

Heck, I'd settle for the shrouds not to pierce the sails/yards when braced close hauled.  Flapping sails and relative motion between the yards is WAY down on my list.  At least they do back when proper, but this can just exacerbate the issue with standing the rigging.

Heck, I'd settle for the shrouds not to pierce the sails/yards when braced close hauled.  

That's a geometrical impossibility unless the yards themselves are given six degrees of freedom, able to sag down and forward of their masts dynamically, and deform the slackened shrouds (which accordingly become curved, with the hundreds of individual ratlines adapting to the changing shape).

In other words, ludicrously hardware and labor-intensive.

There are some small improvements that can be made, however. Cut down on the leech of jibs to prevent unnecessary clipping with the topsails, make the leeward backstays temporarily disappear or deform on fore/aft vessels.