Game-Labs Forum

Open ports to other nations.

I think many people will support this and I will too. Open ports to other nations, set up governors (players) and let them decide what to do, control traffic in and out of ports. Governors should be able to set up tax for each nation, close or open doors and use national tensions as a guide, but not as forced action that prohibits and closes all ports for all other nations. Historically Port Royal governor would allow 'Privateers' (aka Pirates) trade and operate in British port.

What about pirates?

Developers let's make it more interesting and introduce a package for PIrates that will let them become legal mercenaries for Nationals. Once package purchased they will become Privateers, but always can go back to Pirates and repeat. Package cost should be limited to Game Store Only.  

Feel free to share ideas.

This suggestion touches Open Ports, Governors, Pirates and Mercenary topics. 

• Like 2

I'm interested in this idea, especially receiving letter of marques to gain privateer status with a certain Nation. 

It is my opinion that ports of other nations should be open to traders of other nations so long as the diplomatic status of the countries are friendly at the time of entering port. A man-o'war should never be able to enter the port of another nation, friendly or not. An individual sailing in an commerce vessel should be granted entry however. This could also open up the idea of alliances/relations based upon economic reasons instead of just constant warmongering. 

• Like 1

I'm interested in this idea, especially receiving letter of marques to gain privateer status with a certain Nation. 

It is my opinion that ports of other nations should be open to traders of other nations so long as the diplomatic status of the countries are friendly at the time of entering port. A man-o'war should never be able to enter the port of another nation, friendly or not. An individual sailing in an commerce vessel should be granted entry however. This could also open up the idea of alliances/relations based upon economic reasons instead of just constant warmongering. 

Warships could sail into a harbor only if country or port lets them. In this case to make everyone happy only Trade Capitals should allow warships inside ports. Such ports should be very well armed and maintain fleets outside the port. So, any Warship who wants to dock in those ports is being inspected and watched closely before entering docks. This eliminates any risk to take over the port. Governor can also set up extra tax for storing a Warship in their port. 

I agree, allow ports to be accessible to everyone: this would eliminate the need for the rather superfluous "Neutral" nation and ports. However, there should be some  levels of restriction to this accessibility, especially between nations that are at war. I have outlined how this could be done in an earlier thread;

This would allow traders and pirates almost unlimited access to all ports, should they wish to risk it, but naval captains would be limited to allied, peaceful and some neutral ports. 

Let's take a look at Sid Meier's: Pirates! for example, (mostly for the pirate point of view); in a game where you are more a privateer than a pirate, you can access all ports, as long as you have not been actively hunting around them. Start attacking French shipping around Martinique? Then you can still access the port, but the trader will probably not want to do business with you. Continue attacking French ships in those waters, and the next time you enter port, you will be prompted to either leave, sneak into the port (giving limited access to facilities and a rather fun mini-game), or to attack the city (if pirate # vs. Troop numbers are comparable. Also accompanied by a rather nice battle mini-game)

Developers let's make it more interesting and introduce a package for PIrates that will let them become legal mercenaries for Nationals. Once package purchased they will become Privateers, but always can go back to Pirates and repeat. Package cost should be limited to Game Store Only. 

Are you suggesting that Pirates can become Privateer only by paying with real-life money? Please clarify if I have misunderstood, but if this is the case, I am wholly against it. 1, Privateering has the potential in this game to be so much more than a simple career choice or Pay-2-Win mechanic. 2. This could easily be abused by "wallet warriors", especially if there is no "cooldown" time to stop players from nation hopping. The latter instance is also possible if this system is implemented w/o real money.

There needs to be a system that allows LoMs to be given out based on the character's reputation and history. is a player notorious for flipping sides and not folloeing a LoM? Then less nations will be willing to offer him one. And that's just it; nations should be offering LoMs to lucky pirates (they should be purchasable only to non-pirates). I have outlined my concept of LoMs here as well:

Cheers

Agree 100% with Wind on the ability to hire Pirates by National. This idea has been around this forum for a long time now. Maybe it could be implemented, at the very least on a trial basis, to see if it can work