Game-Labs Forum

Pirates as Privateers

To the developers.

I originally posted this idea on a Open World thread regarding Port Battles and wanted to run it by all of you for your opinion.

There seemed to be a few members who were against the idea of Pirates being eligible for Port Battles for the reason that they are not considered a Nation within the game. How about haviang the ability for any Nation to hire Pirates as Privateers in Port Battles? Any Nation could hire them for the defense of or the attacking of, a Port. The Pirate then becomes (just for the Port Battle instance) a Privateer for the Nation who hires him. The Privateer is compensated with either Gold or a high quality Crafted ship from this Nation.

It would also help in utilizing the availability of a larger pool of players who are online, who could then be enlisted for the formation of a Port Battle instance. 

• Like 2

Privateers, privateering, and Letters of Marque (LoMs especially) need to be an integral and unique part of the game, NA has the capability to make this mechanic far more dynamic that PotBS, and I hope they do. 

I like the idea of giving out LoMs (and possibly pardons) for the sake of PBs, but why not outside that. In fact, Pardons and LoMs should be available all the time, but become easier to acquire preceding a PB. 

What be this sillyness i say?

Rats have towns and such, sure sounds pretty eligible if you ask me!

Aye, this be true, but pirates also don't much like the idea o' facin' a fleet of lineships in our wee little sloops and snows. I suggest ye take a gander at me posts regardin' this issue, and how Pirates should be the most unique faction in the game:

An Approach to Piracy

The Case Against a Pirate "Nation"

Pirate Havens, Port Security, and Trade Regulations

• Like 5

Privateers, privateering, and Letters of Marque (LoMs especially) need to be an integral and unique part of the game, NA has the capability to make this mechanic far more dynamic that PotBS, and I hope they do. 

I like the idea of giving out LoMs (and possibly pardons) for the sake of PBs, but why not outside that. In fact, Pardons and LoMs should be available all the time, but become easier to acquire preceding a PB. 

Aye, this be true, but pirates also don't much like the idea o' facin' a fleet of lineships in our wee little sloops and snows. I suggest ye take a gander at me posts regardin' this issue, and how Pirates should be the most unique faction in the game:

An Approach to Piracy

The Case Against a Pirate "Nation"

Pirate Havens, Port Security, and Trade Regulations

+1