Game-Labs Forum

Hailing ships/Inspecting ships for contraband.

Currently you hail a trader ship and you automatically see if they have contraband I suggest instead you receive the option of telling the trader to stop for inspection or be sent to davey jones locker.

The AI/Player can choose to keep sailing or not and risk being caught and sunk or submit to inspection. And from there you crew boards ship and for random chance find contraband you can initiate boarding combat and take the ship and contraband and prisoners.

the question is: what is the act of inspection and how do you know if it is contraband or not.

if the player does not have contraband he will stop happily if he does have contraband he won't stop ever because any check will find the goods. Thus logically we can just show if he has contraband and you can decide on the chase yourself.

Yesterday i brought up an english traders brig with contraband, after successful fighting (grateful noob i was) there was nothing in their hold BUT they had ships upgrades with them. Classic contraband were goods for war equipment etc. If we could trade rifles etc. & everytimes we load these goods and then we change into a ship with contraband, that would be a nice idea.. :) Greetz, Allons! 

the question is: what is the act of inspection and how do you know if it is contraband or not.

if the player does not have contraband he will stop happily if he does have contraband he won't stop ever because any check will find the goods. Thus logically we can just show if he has contraband and you can decide on the chase yourself.

I would suggest that you need to get very close on OW to reveal contraband goods. That way smugglers can skirt the line between "playing it cool" around players of their own nation and actively avoiding them (thus making it obvious they are smuggling). The "I see you therefore I know you are a smuggler" model does not really support smuggling as a form of gameplay.

Yesterday i brought up an english traders brig with contraband, after successful fighting (grateful noob i was) there was nothing in their hold BUT they had ships upgrades with them. Classic contraband were goods for war equipment etc. If we could trade rifles etc. & everytimes we load these goods and then we change into a ship with contraband, that would be a nice idea.. :) Greetz, Allons! 

Loot tables are not yet connected to traders.. its coming in one of the next patches