Game-Labs Forum

'Amazon' Beautiful French Ship (With Plans)

If I had to chose a paint scheme for La Panthère, I'd go for either blue or red for the stern and quarter badges. The La Dauphine reconstruction team did a nice job with the vermillion (or red ocre) for the inner works, most models feature a red that´s much too bright.

By the way, I recently wrote a small article about La Panthère and her british 'daugthers' for a german forum and I was quite surprised how numerous the ships built to her lines were, 52 in total, the last one being launched in 1813.  For comparison, of the more famous Ledas (based on the french L' Hébé), there were 47.

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Malachi said:

If I had to chose a paint scheme for La Panthère, I'd go for either blue or red for the stern and quarter badges. The La Dauphine reconstruction team did a nice job with the vermillion (or red ocre) for the inner works, most models feature a red that´s much too bright.

Happy to have news from you ! 🙂

Speaking of paint scheme, have you read those 2 interesting posts by Surcouf about the 'red' colour in the French Navy, here and here ?

43 minutes ago, Malachi said:

By the way, I recently wrote a small article about La Panthère and her british 'daugthers' for a german forum and I was quite surprised how numerous the ships built to her lines were, 52 in total, the last one being built in 1813.  For comparison, of the more famous Ledas (based on the french L' Hébé), there were 47.

52 ! Amazing.

A link to your article will certainly interest German-speaking ppl and google-translators.

Happy to have news from you ! 🙂

Yeah, I've been away for quite some time. 

And I read Surcouf´s posts and he´s spot on with the less bright red. But that´s to be expected, it´s Surcouf, after all :P

A link to your article will certainly interest German-speaking ppl and google-translators.

I´d have linked it, but it isn´t visible for non-members, sorry. But here´s a small overview of the ships built to the lines of La Panthère/Amazon I made for the article.

It´s in german, obviously, but most of it should be self-explanatory. (K) means carronade, the (+1) is the Ranger, which was slightly longer than the rest of the Cormorant revived - class. Speaking of which, they and the Thais - class had a ridiculous broadside weight for their size, 332 pounds for the former and 327 for the latter.

And they didn´t look bad, either (that´s a draught for the Thais-class Comet)

Edited by Malachi
  • Like 2