Game-Labs Forum

Noob Ego Greater Than Noob Skills?.... Survey says...

BobW-Bristol-RI-US

So, in my 2nd day of OW... sailin' my l'il Lynx to and fro (dodging larger armed vessels) looking for trader brigs.... enter a battle, offer to help - larger (more experienced) player offers me a wonderful gift of the surrendered Snow (greatly appreciative... would skip four or five ship steps of 'grind')... then on the way home (now a little cocky) am waylaid by what appears to be a single Lynx Pirate, then (too late - battle's started) I realize it's actually FOUR pirate vessels, and even after sinking two (AI obviously much better in OW), I succumb to my wooden wounds.... so I lose my prize Snow, and am back to the Lynx once more.

Lessons (? open to suggestions from all)... should have 'teleported' home immediately - had too small a crew to sail/fight effectively, also had damage from initial (prize) encounter...  could have slowly improved from the Snow level instead of retrograding back to Lynx.

Questions: Does the game know that I'm sailing a prize and 'sic the AI pirates, hostiles on ya because you're sailing a prize? Or is it that (what I suspect) that I was just dumb and full of ego?

How do I know if I'm about to run into a fleet of pirates when hailed it just says Lynx pirate? Did I miss something in the OW UI that tells me this?

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE, GREAT GAME.

Regards all,

Muttley

Bristol, RI, US

In a Lynx... (row, row, row your boat...)

Edited by BobW-Bristol-RI-US
  • Like 1

Sir Muttley,

Welcome to Naval Action !  I came in with the second group of OW invites....I've moved up to a Cutter and have a couple spare Lynx's lying about, but I'm one broke Jr. Lt.  That being said, I'm enjoying this game immensely!  I'm a casual player and get a limited amount of time game time in each week due to RL work.  I would recommend to all new players to spend time in the forums.  There are a lot of very experienced and helpful people here.

Did you do something wrong when you got sunk?   No !  That's the great thing about computer games and simulators....we can die over and over again getting smarter each time.  You'll see a lot of stuff on the forums about making this segment or that segment "more balanced".  "I got jumped by three pirates...that's so unfair".  I say that's great!  Just like in RL, you got to be careful.  It's a big, bad, mean world.  There is always someone faster, stronger or smarter than you out in the OW looking to eat you. Just like RL history...one faction, country, group was picking on and taking over another.  When to run?   When to fight....?  that's the question...not just in NA, but in life...is it not.

And another thing....at some point we are all going to get busted down to private as different phases of Alpha testing continue.  So everything you have now....is just temporary.....like safety...or wealth....or health, just like in RL.  You can't take any of it with you in the end.

Go forth....have fun...try new stuff.   Remember also....just like life, there's no instruction manual for NA OW right now.  We are all just making it up as we go along.

With respects to all,

Dean

Ya - Didn't notice anything in the UI about multiple ships/fleet - thought it was just one Lynx - so I must've missed any other multi-ship info visually (honestly I don't recall if I actually 'hailed' it, or if was one of those jump on you 'So and So is battling you in ## sec' popups)

And as far as sending the Snow home as a prize... seems like my reaction to getting at this time was almost like the 'bait car' TV show reaction in the ghetto...  was enjoying the 'Cadillac' Snow  experience far too much to have realized I should have sent anything home.... (I didn't even know it had damage until the pirate fiasco).

Lesson learned. Thanks for weighing in all. Back to the grind. But what a lovely grind OW is.

Regards,

Muttley

• Like 3