Game-Labs Forum

This game compared to unchartered watersJust as UWO, quests are given by the well to do, and these

Hi, new to the forums and havent seen much of the game yet apart from the odd video.

A few years back I played the MMO uncharted waters, which although very outdated had some excellent gameplay mechanics.

These being

• The crafting system
  • The players market/trading system.
  • The exploration / quest system, grinding through books at libraries etc
  • The salvage system, pulling up wrecks from the sea floor.

Its downside was 

• Ship to ship combat
  • Monotony of land exploration

I cannot help to notice some of the similarities with this game and am assuming some of the concepts for this game had foundations in UWO.

I have been waiting for a modern day version of that game for some time now and am really hoping this fits the bill.

Having logged many hours at that game, and spent a long time pondering on how I would make the game if i had the time and assets, the following was my overall concept.

Very basic, don't want to go into depth.

a) The world, would not be "Earth" where every player knows where every continent, island and port is.(This means real exploration)

1. Exploration distance is massively restricted due to the type of ship you had
  2. Some places are simply not accessible until later patches/updates are made making additional areas available so newcomers to the game 8 months after release could still be the first to find an island or a sculpture or a waterfall etc
  3. Finding "Discoveries", lets say the Pyramids, which could be anywhere in the world would be a One off discovery found by one player and this would be announced in the "News". Once discovered, that player becomes famous for that discovery. And there are literally thousands of "Discoveries" to be made and continuous new ones added by the devs that have been made available for discovery due to a storm or a flood or an earthquake etc
  4. No silly sea monsters, krakkans etc, much better to have sever storms or rogue waves or the odd whirlpool to wreck the odd ship

B) Ship salvage.

1. If a player ship sinks, it should remain at the bottom until discovered and successfully salvaged by another player
  2. And ofcourse quest salvage sites

c) Exploration

1. Very similar to UWO. Quests are given by the wealthy nobility and could be anything from
    1. Discovery of an animal, plant, herb, spice, relic, island, archeological dig
    2. research done by reading through books in libraries or questioning local A.I character
  2. Rewards given in money and entries added into the "News" for all eternity

d) Crafting: Exactly like UWO, great system

1. Apprentices can gain additional crafting levels by working with a master craftsment etc
  2. Master craftsmen have the "Rare" chance of crafting a very unique or high quality objects or researching to discover a new tech or higher level object

e) Sea combat

1. Seems you have that pretty well covered here, it was a major flaw in UWO

f) Trading.

1. UWO allowed the ability to sit in a market square and trade with passers by, just as you would find in a london market with the grocer shouting out his wares, this was a great immersion element.
  2. It also had communal Guild selling centres where your wares could be bought while you were offline.
  3. It would have been nice to be able to buy/rent a shop at one of the many civilisation centres and for example be a specailised shop selling Cannons, or sails etc.

The most important element required I believe is non repetitive gameplay, so once the "Pyramids" had been discovered, they weren't then discovered a week later when the quest was given out again. So just as in real life, discovered once and remembered forever. There are literally millions of different things that can be discovered, insects, birds, fauna, civilisations, so there really is no need for repetition like this and the discovery object, lets say a Zebra only needs to exist in the world from the point where a quest has been created to find it until the point of its discovery, so you dont need these millions of entities in the virtual world all at the same time.

If this game develops into anything like my rough concept, then i think you have a major bread winner.

Keeping a close eye on the development and thanks for bringing this into the 21st century  :)

• Like 2

Welcome on the forums.

I just had a look at uncharted waters to get an idea on what you are talking about.

What you could see in the videos in this forum is ship combat. And that is pretty neat. It aint klick'n win like most MMOs do.

You have to learn all the basics and master them. Fighting players will give you new challenges everythime you enter a fight. So there is not a lot repertition to worry about.

NPCs are another thing. But devs are workin gon improvements wich can make it more fun and more challenging to fight the AI.

About the exploration thing I can tell you how devs think about the Open World size:

we want people to get lost

You can take that literally and imagine how big the open world has to be to achieve this statement.

The Open World builds are early ones. And many things may be incorporated into the final game. In a far future I am afraid.

Crafting is a big wish of the community and devs will have a look at it for sure. But one step after the other.

OW is coming in the 'nearer' future and the testers can have a look at that for temselvs.

I can refer you to the Open World Subforum. I may as well move this topic to that subforum.

Feel free to add your thoughts in the already existing discussions. Plenty of what you ask for is beeing discussed over ;)

OMG!

No way, a fellow UWO Player, I haven't played for months after I reached lvl 69//70/52, I took a hiatus from the game! I started playing waaaaaaaaaaaay back on 2012 so it's basically 3 years by now. 

And I agree, completely agree. I hope Game-Labs take a LOOK at UWO because it has one of the greatest system for open world! The crafting is grindy, but ... if crafting is that easy to accomplish then what's an ingame economy? And the adventure is just completely perfect :)

I just hope it can reach UWO's level someday because UWO covers the whole Earth haha

@ArchAngelWC

UWO used to be a good game untill the developers got moneyhungry and added the dungeons and NC cash ships. Before that is was a great game which took effort to accomplish something. The current status of UWO is a broken pay-to-win game brought down by the developers themselves...

Got my hopes up for Naval Action, if the economy and exploration is as good as "pre-dungeon" UWO I'll be hooked for years to come

• 3 weeks later...

I used to play UWO back in the day, the Open World right now reminds me a lot of it, particularly finding all the ports for the first time.

I will say that the combat in Naval Action is significantly better than UWO's.

I'm quite sorry if I'm raising this topic from the dead but yep, I can guarantee that the combat for this game is much much better than UWO. Once this game comes out, there will be a massive migration from UWO to this game, UWO is a great game itself but it's getting old right now, Naval Action -- hoping that it won't go pay to win and that the development will further go on -- will be its replacement as the king of nautical MMORPG.