Game-Labs Forum

Does the size of the cannon affect how easily they are destroyed?

Fellow Captains and Honorable Admirals,

I apologize for putting this in general discussions.  This may even be covered already

I am enquiring about how dificult it will be to dismount our enemies' cannons in relation to their size.

While chosing my cannon weight and showing the constructor to a friend, they asked, "Does the size of the cannon affect how easily they are destroyed?" 

I had no good answer and look for it here.  I have not noticed enemy cannons, nor even my own, being knocked out of commision very often, let alone at a different rate for different gun sizes.

A larger gun would require more volume of space, including the tools required to operate the weapon effectively.  Even a 6 pound ball could disable a heavy gun if directly hitting a carrriage, wheel, harness, block or even barrel.  Not to mention the crew.

The question isn't the damage a shot would do to the gun but how easy can it be hit in the first place.

There should be a correlation to how large the game's "hit box" is for cannons.

This is not a very important issue as the battle mechanics are already extremely enjoyeable and I understand sea trials 2 is officially over, but this could be implemented before the final product if it is not already on the schedule.  

Edited by optimisticist
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

after using my brig to de-canon bigger ship, using the surprise as an example. I got it down from 38 guns to 5 guns. I note that you only destroy the gun when your canon ball hit the gun directly, But the weird thing is that I can destroy a canon with grape shop. I hope the dev add the canon health in this state so we can see how our canon affect the enemy guns. 

• Like 2