Game-Labs Forum

[Mod] The Dreadnought Improvement Project v1.13.10 for UAD 1.5.1.6

brothermunro

3 hours ago, Halsey said:

Is there any intent to revise the accuracy achievable via design and tech selection?  My understanding of this mod is that engagement ranges are farther than vanilla, however since the latest UAD patch accuracy is extremely low, with 10% hit rates really only achievable at less than 30k-20k yards which is about the same as vanilla despite veteran crews, gen 3 radar, Stereo 5 range finders and the powder that gives base accuracy buffs (tube powder 2 iirc).  Specifically, endgame tech rangefinders and radar seem to have very little effect on overall accuracy across the board which is bizarre.  Is this the mod working as intended or a consequence of the latest patch changes?

1.5 made significant changes to how aiming works, it now scales on distance vs the range of your guns. From my own testing high end late game ships can get 10-20% per shell hit chances at 20-30km which on a full salvo of 8/9 guns means that the salvo hit chance is pretty high. Given historical battle ranges in WW2 were frequently less than 20km, with the longest hits around the 25km mark this seems ok to me. Possibly the only issue I have at the moment is that I feel that the penetration of the guns, especially the battleship guns, is a little too high. I cannot fix that without breaking saves and designs so looking at that is for the next major update.

I will also say that tube powder in DIP works a bit differently to vanilla; it is a lower velocity, lower ranged propellant that is safer than cordite. The base accuracy boost and range malus work together to make tube power the superior choice for a brawler not a sniper.

59 minutes ago, brothermunro said:

1.5 made significant changes to how aiming works, it now scales on distance vs the range of your guns. From my own testing high end late game ships can get 10-20% per shell hit chances at 20-30km which on a full salvo of 8/9 guns means that the salvo hit chance is pretty high.

fair enough... I guess it remains that it's still weird to me, that gunkeeper, rangefinder, radar techs and crew skills now do so little to affect accuracy where as previously radar and rangefinding were decisive factors in gunnery accuracy.

• brothermunro changed the title to [Mod] The Dreadnought Improvement Project v1.7.6 for UAD 1.5.0.5
11 hours ago, brothermunro said:

Mod seems to be working fine on 1.5.0.4R just redownload and reinstall :) @McGib I'm looking into the issue you described at the moment! Edit: I'm not seeing this behaviour in my own French campaign which has been going since the beta. I'm going to put it up on my discord and the nexus page and see if I can get some others with this problem to help me narrow down what is causing it.

That had been a fresh install but I will try again with todays update.

2 hours ago, Halsey said:

fair enough... I guess it remains that it's still weird to me, that gunkeeper, rangefinder, radar techs and crew skills now do so little to affect accuracy where as previously radar and rangefinding were decisive factors in gunnery accuracy.

That’s mostly down to the range found bonus which has dominated all things aiming related for some time 😅

On 3/17/2024 at 1:57 AM, brothermunro said:

This happens in vanilla too it just isn’t quite as visible because ships in DIP don’t have formula 1 levels of grip 😅

Quick question, is the grip able to be adjusted in the resource.assets file or is that an internal game code thing?

I haven't tweaked those in a while, but what I'm using now is fairly good. (vanilla in paranthesis)

#,,Speed,,,,,,,
rotation_speed_mod,0.5,modifier for ship's rotation speed,0.3,,,,,, (1.35)
rotation_speed_change,0.08,modifier for ship's rotation change speed,0.05,,,,,, (0.077)
acceleration_mod,0.071,modifier for ship's acceleration,1,,,,,, (0.075)
deceleration_mod,0.18,modifier for ship's deceleration,2,,,,,, (0.16)

As you can see, not that much difference, except for the rotation speed.
I was thinking of doing another run on these numbers this weekend

Edited by MDHansen

• brothermunro changed the title to [Mod] The Dreadnought Improvement Project v1.7.6 for UAD 1.5.0.5 (Opt)
  • brothermunro changed the title to [Mod] The Dreadnought Improvement Project v1.7.6 for UAD 1.5.0.5 (Opt & Opt x2)
10 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Brothermunro, is it your mod causing ships to drop out of "scout" and charge into the enemies or just the UAD being UAD?

No I haven't changed the AI behaviour, I think I did make some slight adjustments to how far away from the flagship scouts will go but that didn't cause them to yolo into the enemy before!

Thanks @brothermunro and @MDHansen !  The acceleration_mod and deceleration_mod params were exactly what I was searching for.

Through some experimentation I found my happy medium I think.  Using my 10 CA 1930's cruiser division as an example here.

I was able to find and alter the acceleration and deceleration mod params to what @MDHansen has above.  Then I also broke the division up into three.  First is Battle line of 3, second is follow of 3, and last is follow of 4.  Not a 1 to 1, but it behaves how I expect and want at speeds above 26 knots without the last few in the formation breaking the sound barrier.

Thanks again for your help to you both!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Dutchy said:

Brothermunro, is it your mod causing ships to drop out of "scout" and charge into the enemies or just the UAD being UAD?

This is now intended behavior by the devs.  It is hinted to in 1.5.0.1 patch notes.  Basically screens and scouts will now try to intercept threats to whatever division they are guarding.

"""
Division AI balanced to be less aggressive for ships in Screen/Scout mode. They should attack at a better distance not suicidally.
"""

• brothermunro changed the title to [Mod] The Dreadnought Improvement Project v1.7.6 for UAD 1.5.0.5 (Opt/Opt x2/Opt x3)
On 3/23/2024 at 6:59 AM, brothermunro said:

No I haven't changed the AI behaviour, I think I did make some slight adjustments to how far away from the flagship scouts will go but that didn't cause them to yolo into the enemy before!

i was hoping it was something you did so it would get fixed somewhat fast
Its a bit anoying how, mostly my destroyers, are charging into the enemies without a care for their life
Anyway, cheers for the mod

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MahelRussel said:

Brothermunro, may I ask what you altered to make Naval invasions somewhat easier for the invader?

Thanks!

Two things, I increased attacker power in params (it doesn’t do much but it does lower the required tonnage a bit) and I also made the port strike damage 90% so if it’s a one port province strike it once, then invade and it should be doable.

• Thanks 1

• brothermunro changed the title to [Mod] The Dreadnought Improvement Project v1.7.6 for UAD 1.5.0.5 (Opt/Opt x2/Opt x3/Opt x4)

I have never seen this before but on my new campaign I'm around 1910 tech. It is IMPOSSIBLE to keep formations together... ship size, ship speed, formation size is irrelevant, like 80% of my formations go lobotomy mode even on a straight course... ships crash into each other a single formation of four ships in line ahead will bunch up and go in four different directions... It legit is making battles unplayable.  Anyone else running into this? See below for two examples.

Broken Formation.jpg

• brothermunro changed the title to [Mod] The Dreadnought Improvement Project v1.8.0 for UAD 1.5.0.5 Opt x4
3 hours ago, halofanjames said:

I feel like this is a no but I want to ask so nick doesn't say "if you're using mods it's not a bug we can fix" does this mod in any way affect pathfinding

pathfinding is not something we can change or alter per now. We can do some tweaks in the files we have access to, but the actual pathfinding is sadly out of our reach

Edited by MDHansen