Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.4 - for UAD v1.5.1.6

o Barão

2 hours ago, McWeaksauce said:

Not sure if you reverted the values back to stock yet, but it's still happening every now and then.

Invisible.png

I already changed the reveal mechanics to stock values, and I have no idea what is causing that. And I am not seeing anyone reporting that in stock game, so must be something from the mod.

• You are seeing the same in custom battles?
  • Happens more with small ships?
  • Happens in all eras?
Edited by o Barão

Not sure if this is a bug or intended, if it's because of the mod or vanilla:

Whenever I unlock a new technology, in this case Harvey Armor, and I try to copy an existing ship to create a new ship to slap the armor on it, the new technology doesn't show up.

This isn't me trying to do a refit but simply copy the design and create a new one.

Incidentally, trying to refit actually shows the new armor so copying the design not showing it has to be some bug right?

Edited by DyonisX

4 hours ago, o Barão said:

0.9.5.1 N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.8r3

Hey Barao, the gamelabs forums isn't letting me send you DMs, if I sent you my discord account information would you be willing to send me a friend invite? I had some ship / unity related questions not directly related to this mod

1 hour ago, DyonisX said:

Not sure if this is a bug or intended, if it's because of the mod or vanilla:

Whenever I unlock a new technology, in this case Harvey Armor, and I try to copy an existing ship to create a new ship to slap the armor on it, the new technology doesn't show up.

This isn't me trying to do a refit but simply copy the design and create a new one.

Incidentally, trying to refit actually shows the new armor so copying the design not showing it has to be some bug right?

not a bug, if you are copying a design from before the tech was unlocked, the copy will not have the tech unlocked.

That is most likely something from stock game. I fail to see where my mod could have any influence, how that mechanic works.

1 hour ago, admiralsnackbar said:

Hey Barao, the gamelabs forums isn't letting me send you DMs, if I sent you my discord account information would you be willing to send me a friend invite? I had some ship / unity related questions not directly related to this mod

Interesting, here also gives me an error when trying to open your profile. Sure, send me your discord account info and I will send an invite.

2 minutes ago, o Barão said:

That is most likely something from stock game. I fail to see where my mod could have any influence, how that mechanic works.

Interesting, here also gives me an error when trying to open your profile. Sure, send me your discord account info and I will send an invite.

admiralsnackbar916

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 10:30 AM, o Barão said:

N.A.R. v1.0 preview W.I.P.

British BB hull rework:
- Dreadnought II package, reworked to resemble more the Colossus and Neptune class.
- Dreadnought III hull changed to resemble more the Orion class and KGV (1911) class.
- Dreadnought IV package, reworked to resemble more the Iron Duke and Queen Elizabeth class.
- Dreadnought V package, reworked to resemble more the Revenge Class.

A4zgdoD.jpg

kQfgbh8.jpg

NrDNI9b.jpg

very cool! was thinking of doing a British campaign next and these hulls are a better fit historically for sure. Bit of feedback on the dread 3, could the front towers advanced 5, 6, 7 be scaled down a tad? You have to bulk out the beam considerably to fit 6 and 7 at all.  Maybe just scale them big enough to fit 15in guns, thats all they would need.

Have you experimented at all with hull combinations not currently in game? like if you took your British dread 4 with its aft deck step down being more squat, and did away with the case mates, i don't think such a hull exists in game.

4 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

Bit of feedback on the dread 3, could the front towers advanced 5, 6, 7 be scaled down a tad? You have to bulk out the beam considerably to fit 6 and 7 at all.  Maybe just scale them big enough to fit 15in guns, thats all they would need.

That is not an issue. Just a requirement to use those towers in that hull. If you want to use a smaller beam, then use other towers. Also, would ruin the visual aspect of using a max beam if we take into consideration the historical ship design.

4 hours ago, Fangoriously said:

Have you experimented at all with hull combinations not currently in game? like if you took your British dread 4 with its aft deck step down being more squat, and did away with the case mates, i don't think such a hull exists in game.

With all hull combinations? No, I didn't, but I don't know a better hull to be used for these ships. And I saw probably most of them. But as I said this is a W.I.P. I only release them earlier because the devs launched an update. If I find a better option, I will change.

I've been trying out NAR for a couple of days, but for some reason i'm getting seemingly a lot more recoil than in vanilla.
It's 1910 and i'm using a 34k tons german dreadnought III with 5x2 mk3 12"/50, but even when only the 2 forward turrets fire i get a -80% recoil debuff and i can barely hit anything with them.
Is this due to changes that NAR introduces or is it a hardcoded uad thing?

2 minutes ago, Aurora said:

I've been trying out NAR for a couple of days, but for some reason i'm getting seemingly a lot more recoil than in vanilla.
It's 1910 and i'm using a 34k tons german dreadnought III with 5x2 mk3 12"/50, but even when only the 2 forward turrets fire i get a -80% recoil debuff and i can barely hit anything with them.
Is this due to changes that NAR introduces or is it a hardcoded uad thing?

The recoil values are the same as stock game.

For anyone interested in editing, these are the values, and are the same for stock game and N.A.R. You will find them in the "params" file.

gun_recoil_factor,2.5,gun recoil factor,,,,,,,
gun_recoil_maxfactor,0.5,gun recoil maxfactor,,,,,,,
gun_recoil_dissipating_speed,0.0004,gun recoil dissipating speed,,0.000011,,,,,

37 minutes ago, o Barão said:

The recoil values are the same as stock game.

For anyone interested in editing, these are the values, and are the same for stock game and N.A.R. You will find them in the "params" file.

gun_recoil_factor,2.5,gun recoil factor,,,,,,,
gun_recoil_maxfactor,0.5,gun recoil maxfactor,,,,,,,
gun_recoil_dissipating_speed,0.0004,gun recoil dissipating speed,,0.000011,,,,,

Ok neat, so it's just the game that goes way too hard on recoil, i'll have some fun changing it then, thanks!

Also, where is the params file? I can't seem to find it.
Found it in the assets

Edited by Aurora

33 minutes ago, Aurora said:

Also, where is the params file? I can't seem to find it.

Inside the resource.assets file

Little guide to mod stuff in UAD.

1) download UABEA https://github.com/nesrak1/UABEA
2) open resource.assets in this location with UABEA C:\....\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data
3) Filter to only see the text files.
4) export and edit in excel or notepad++ plus CSVLint plug in
5) import the changes back to UABEA and update the resource,assets file.

Note: because the devs are still working on the game, I recommend using a text file comparison tool to make it easier to update your work. "Meld" is what I use and works great.
https://meldmerge.org/?utm_source=Logiciels.Pro

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Kerbo said:

if it possible, could you please share the version of this mod that is compatible with v1.3.9.5?

I only support the live version.

0.9.5.2 N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.8r4
  • Ships speed in the campaign map is now 2x in comparison with stock game. Feedback about this is appreciated.

• Like 2

On 7/27/2023 at 5:58 AM, o Barão said:

I already changed the reveal mechanics to stock values, and I have no idea what is causing that. And I am not seeing anyone reporting that in stock game, so must be something from the mod.

• You are seeing the same in custom battles?
  • Happens more with small ships?
  • Happens in all eras?

In my experience it happened more the smaller the ship.

The game seems to randomly bug out when a ship is outside legacy spotting range and gets revealed by the new-ish gun spotting mechanic.

It happens more often the more times a ship gets revealed and hides after firing.

If I had to bet, I'd say it happens the most with small ships cause they're the most prone to spending long periods of time getting continuously revealed and hidden, whilst BBs get quickly spotted and have slow fire rates, so they rarely stay in spotting limbo for more than 2 salvos; CLs and DDs on the other hand can easily get revealed and hidden 20 times within a minute.

Even if the bug is unique to your mod, I still wouldn't blame you nor the mod for it. The whole mechanic is a mess. I'm usually all for new stuff but in it's current state it's actively detrimental to the game. If you want an example of the same mechanic done well, look at World of Warships: they get a lingering debuff so they don't instantly hide again after firing.

Even if it does let my ships fire back sometimes, I'd rather deal with the old invisible ships than have enemies magically materialise for half a second and then instantly go stealth mode again.

All that being said, I haven't seen the bug since you reverted to vanilla values. I'm not doubting the bug is still there, but it most surely isn't as prevalent anymore (since with a smaller spotting debuff, ships spend less time in spotting limbo and the bug gets less chances of showing up).

Maybe try setting the modifier to zero so the mechanic isn't used at all? If only as a stop-gap measure until the devs make it actually usable.

It's a very nice mechanic in theory, but it sadly falls into the badly implemented basket in it's current state.

Aaaaaaaaaaall of that aside, if I were to submit a tested rebalance to government modifiers, would you consider merging the changes to the main mod?
I'm open to any guidelines and to spend the time to playtest it.
As for why the change: I've said it before, communism for China and the USSR is a death sentence for long campaigns and France/USA play in easy mode. I've played multiple long campaigns with China and I assure you it's not even close. France rofl stomps with infinity money, while if you start with China or the USSR in 1890 you're flat out screwed, since the growth penalty kneecaps you and the unrest "bonus" guarantees you'll never get out of commie hell.
It may be somewhat historically accurate but it's extremely bad gameplay-wise. Also the historical thing is mute for long campaigns when the Ottoman and Austro-Hungarian Empires can and will be still alive by 1950.
They don't get crippling unrest modifiers, so why should the Soviet and Chinese get crippling economy modifiers?

Absolutely love your mod, cheers!

Edited by clavernever
  • Like 2

hello modder

The size of the British secondary guns is huge compared to the superstructure.

Any plans to fix it?

Pictured are the 4-inch and 3-inch guns in the hull of Heavy Cruiser III.

20230729122558_1.jpg

Edited by ckdhald4

7 hours ago, clavernever said:

All that being said, I haven't seen the bug since you reverted to vanilla values. I'm not doubting the bug is still there, but it most surely isn't as prevalent anymore (since with a smaller spotting debuff, ships spend less time in spotting limbo and the bug gets less chances of showing up).

Maybe try setting the modifier to zero so the mechanic isn't used at all? If only as a stop-gap measure until the devs make it actually usable.

It's a very nice mechanic in theory, but it sadly falls into the badly implemented basket in it's current state.

o7!

Ok, that is nice to know. Thanks.

About the mechanic, is implemented in an arcade way. Does not take into account if it is happening during daylight or at night, the gun caliber and the position related to the sun. But I am not complaining or nitpicking, In fact what I am saying only would add more variables that would push the CPU even more. I am sure the devs only implemented as a solution to please some players that were crying about being shot from invisible ships. And I think this was made before the spotting rework from the devs. Since the 5% stock values is not causing any issues, I will not touch that thing anymore. :D

Does it make sense that there's a cruise speed aim bonus but there isn't one for sitting still at 0?

Yes, because you are using the ship force to counter or diminish, at some degree, the different types of ship motion caused by waves, if you are sailing in the right direction, that is. But I am no sailor expert. Probably someone, with much more nautical knowledge than me, can give you a better explanation.

10 hours ago, clavernever said:

Aaaaaaaaaaall of that aside, if I were to submit a tested rebalance to government modifiers, would you consider merging the changes to the main mod?

I'm open to any guidelines and to spend the time to playtest it.

No need to test anything. All the gov modifiers were rebalanced in N.A.R. many updates ago. The differences are smaller if we compare with stock game values.

As for why the change: I've said it before, communism for China and the USSR is a death sentence for long campaigns and France/USA play in easy mode.

Interesting, because on the steam forums, there were players complaining that now China is the easy nation to play because of the new changes to home territories.

And I will add, that having difference between nations is not an issue. It is the opposite. It is not only realistic, but also provides different challenges, that forces the player to adapt, and makes the campaign replayability much more interesting. To play with the USA is not the same to play as Spain, and this is great.

They don't get crippling unrest modifiers, so why should the Soviet and Chinese get crippling economy modifiers?

Simple, because communism failed as an ideology that would bring a better wealth fare for the country or a better life condition for the citizens. For the most part of the XX century, it was tested in Russia, China some other 3rd world countries, and in all cases it failed miserably and in some extreme situations with nasty consequences for the population.

Edited by o Barão