Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.4 - for UAD v1.5.1.6

o Barão

16 hours ago, lemanruss said:

Is it possible to add some soviet battleships from wows. I really like the Kremlin class hull.

We don't have those towers in game, so it is not possible.

Hey, I'm poking around in params and found a few things you might be interested in.  A partial pen does a bit less than twice the damage of an overpen, AP shells have a default weight modifier of 1.25 and HE shells 0.9.  IMO shell weights should be normalized at 1 and 1 for both.  Not sure how to handle damage ratios though.  I also noticed that HE shells by default have a .2 pen modifier (he_penetration_mod,0.2), which is far lower than it should be.  Considering that historical Common rounds had about half the filler of AP rounds, and since the "standard" AP round in the game is also a completely uncapped round, changing the base ratio to .5 to match those historical numbers seems like a better fit.

running with an edited .resource file, its better to set UAD to "update when launch" and run the .exe file directly from folder/desktop, and not Steam. That way one can play the game until modders update their files to current version

Edited by MDHansen

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v5.9.4 - for UAD v1.5.0.1 live

I will admit, i'm not too big a fan of the economy changes. The shipyard changes I don't care too much about. But the economy is just too slow now. Even with full transport capacity your balance just goes up so slowly that it's very difficult to make headway.

hey @o Barão Have you got intel on what this (f)actually do?
division_attack_offset,500,preferable offset forward of target to attempt an attack route. Can be also negative.,,,,,,,

I was hoping it had to do with how the scout/screen places itself vs the enemy compared to who they protect

21 minutes ago, MDHansen said:

hey @o Barão Have you got intel on what this (f)actually do?
division_attack_offset,500,preferable offset forward of target to attempt an attack route. Can be also negative.,,,,,,,

I was hoping it had to do with how the scout/screen places itself vs the enemy compared to who they protect

BFV4QF4.jpg

I mentioned in December that the AI divisions would bump each other when attacking because there is a range limit from the main ship they can sail. At a time, I suggested some ideas how to fix this issue.

I am guessing this is the dev's solution for this issue. I am not sure.

4 hours ago, TheBlackCitadel said:

But the economy is just too slow now. Even with full transport capacity your balance just goes up so slowly that it's very difficult to make headway.

Great, that is exactly the point. To prevent the end game situations where the player does not know what to with so much cash and free shipyard to build anything.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, o Barão said:

Great, that is exactly the point. To prevent the end game situations where the player does not know what to with so much cash and free shipyard to build anything.

I'm not talking about the end game, i'm talking about the start of the game. I agree that there was too much cash to know what to do with by late game, but this feels like an overcorrection. Giving us so little cash that we can do very little with what we have. I like to start in 1890 and play through until the end. As an example, I started a Germany 1890 playthrough. Germany usually has a pretty good economy up there with Britain, France, and the USA. But often times even with Transport Capacity at 200% monthly budget would go down instead of up. And when it did go up it was by so little. By the time I reached 1900, Monthly Budget had gone up maybe $10,000,000.

3 hours ago, TheBlackCitadel said:

But often times even with Transport Capacity at 200% monthly budget would go down instead of up. And when it did go up it was by so little. By the time I reached 1900, Monthly Budget had gone up maybe $10,000,000.

I will need screenshots to understand what you are saying. Finances tab, expenses and if you are at war.

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v5.9.5 - for UAD v1.5.0.2 live
51 minutes ago, o Barão said:

I will need screenshots to understand what you are saying. Finances tab, expenses and if you are at war.

I'll have to go back to 1.5.0.2 and start a new campaign. It may take a bit but I'll try and get those screenshots

1 hour ago, TheBlackCitadel said:

I'll have to go back to 1.5.0.2 and start a new campaign. It may take a bit but I'll try and get those screenshots

So, here are some screenshots i've taken from the beginning of the game to show what I mean.

1. First image: The options for the campaign I started. 1890 Germany, Legendary Difficulty, Historical AI, Design my own fleet, no shared designs
  2. Second Image: This is a view of just before I started the campaign. I have 16 ships under construction. Monthly Balance -$1,033,185 and Naval Funds of $11,650,650.
  3. Third-Fifth Images: Here is a view of the navies of other countries navies. Britain has 54 ships and is building 26. China has 73 ships and is building 22. France has 42 ships and 23 under construction. Italy has 72 ships and 12 under construction. Spain has 73 ships and 9 under construction. Russia has 64 ships and 11 under construction. The US has 58 ships and 5 under construction. Japan has 61 ships and 14 under construction. Austria-Hungary has 39 ships and 36 under construction.
  4. Sixth Image: This is how I have my budget allocated. 100% into TC. 100% into TB. 50% into CT. I could lowe Tech Budget and Crew Training but it would not get me much more than I have. I have 300 tons of shipyard capacity under construction, which is a bit of a waste.
  5. Seventh Image: This is after I started the campaign. I'm even more in the negative on Monthly Balance now. Still in the negative even when my ships are put into Limited status.

All in all this puts me in a tight spot. I am a country surrounded by countries that will progressively hate me more and more, and will inevitably lead to war. They all have navies much larger than mine. Even with money repurposed from my sliders I couldn't match their numbers. I have to keep my money in Tech and Transport to try and grow my economy and outpace them via technology. Match their quantity with quality. But the economy grows so slowly that it makes that even more difficult

On lower difficulties this is no different. The AI still builds more ships than you could possibly build even without the bonus income Legendary Difficulty gives.

I'm not against economy changes, but this is too much of a change. The starting budget isn't the biggest problem but it is a big problem. The GDP growth is the biggest problem. It is simply too small and grows too slowly

20240313201023_1.jpg

20240313210620_1.jpg

20240313210732_1.jpg

20240313210737_1.jpg

20240313210742_1.jpg

20240313210916_1.jpg

20240313210922_1.jpg

@TheBlackCitadel

"All in all this puts me in a tight spot. I am a country surrounded by countries that will progressively hate me more and more, and will inevitably lead to war. They all have navies much larger than mine."

So why are you playing in the legendary difficulty, if you don't like the challenge?

Other things:

• The economy modifiers are the same for all nations. It is not only for the human player. You can see that in GDP, naval year budget, but ofc the AI is having a 30% bonus because of the difficulty level. The only thing naval funds are telling me, is that you are spending too much.
  • Ships numbers alone don't tell me much, since it is normal for most players to make expensive ships. Auto design would give me a more realistic picture.
  • GDP growth values are much more in line with the real average, so good.
  • I always start with crew training at zero and keep at zero until I know I will go to war in a few turns. Only then I will raise the slider and then after the war, I keep at 25% to maintain the crew quality. This, and reasonable decisions about what ships I will build and how many, is enough to have a wealth of naval treasure in the positive. Also, 200% TC slider only until I get the maximum, then I will drop to half and save millions.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, o Barão said:

I am Portuguese and I can only read Spanish more or less.

That is what I thought, that the Spanish language, which has known issues, would be easier for you to improve. Of course, this proposal is only if it interests you and you already have done something for leisure that you can also share it. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpeg.b0700019734d82987355a24825463c07.jpegNot exactly sure what's going on here. Can't get past this screen when I start up the game. I've tried reinstalling the game and even deleting every file related to the game before uninstalling and reinstalling. I tired installing dreadnought improvement project to see if it was a me thing and that worked fine. But when I drag NAR's resource file to where it's meant to be and boot up the game. This is what I get.

Nevermind. I suddenly got it to work

Edited by C6Ranger

25 minutes ago, C6Ranger said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b0700019734d82987355a24825463c07.jpegNot exactly sure what's going on here. Can't get past this screen when I start up the game. I've tried reinstalling the game and even deleting every file related to the game before uninstalling and reinstalling. I tired installing dreadnought improvement project to see if it was a me thing and that worked fine. But when I drag NAR's resource file to where it's meant to be and boot up the game. This is what I get

That gray screen show up when the resource.assets is not in the right location.

Is the content download from the google drive coming packed? You need to extract it first and send the content inside to this location C:\...\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data

@o Barão I have to agree with others, you might have overdone the nerfing of the economy.

Same set as I did in the last tests:

USA, 1890 START, Normal difficulty, so basically as easy as it gets.

Now I'm in 1914, like in the other tests.

I did 18 years of peace ( in the last 2 tests it was 14) and then went against Spain, I wiped all the colonies but I couldn't attack the core Territories because I didn't have the tonnage.

China and the USSR collapsed in 1910, Germany and Spain are not that far off ( China reformed).

I'm the most powerful nation on the planet, but I have 500k of ships, not even that new, and I'm barely breaking even, it's a bit too little IMHO, and I have the highest GDP at 60 billions, UK is at 50 and France at 35. This is basically 1/5 of the economy in the previous test and 1/25 of vanilla economy, it's a bit too aggressive, especially considering that I'm playing on the easiest difficulty and with the easiest nation, we should probably aim to have an economiy that is 3 times what I have now, so in the middle between now and the 1st test economy, maybe slightly more towards the 1sr test

The shipyard is good I would say, both in size and capacity, I'm at 50k tons in 1914 with 250k of capacity, in the first 15 years is very limiting, as it probably should be ( maybe we should start at 10k tons instead of 8k).

As always, here's the folder :

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CVshMFio4G9gqnqAxx0wk0FT-PQux02n

Edited by flaviohc16