Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.3 - for UAD v1.5.1.5

o Barão

I see you can tinker a bit with campaign stuff, do you think it would be possible to set every countries stance to 'at war' with all 'ungoverned territory'? Then all countries that have a land boarder with a province that suddenly goes total anarchy would try to gobble it up as soon as it can.

27 minutes ago, Fangoriously said:

I see you can tinker a bit with campaign stuff, do you think it would be possible to set every countries stance to 'at war' with all 'ungoverned territory'? Then all countries that have a land boarder with a province that suddenly goes total anarchy would try to gobble it up as soon as it can.

I'm 99% sure you can't be at war with minors.

That being said, you could increase the chance for peacetime invasion events (hopefully only toward "ungoverned country") and let that be the way they get invaded

I'm willing to look into it, if it's requested enough. As for right now, I'll start a campaign. Haven't played seriously since 1.2.9

Edited by clavernever

One "must have" feature would be for  all regions you lost over course of war, should be returned to you, if you actually win the war... A lot of times AI grabs a province with land offensive, you beat them terribly on sea, they ask for peace, but then you cannot demand province to be returned??

12 hours ago, clavernever said:

I'm 99% sure you can't be at war with minors.

That being said, you could increase the chance for peacetime invasion events (hopefully only toward "ungoverned country") and let that be the way they get invaded

I'm willing to look into it, if it's requested enough. As for right now, I'll start a campaign. Haven't played seriously since 1.2.9

in Provinces-resources.assets you can set "ProvinceDefenderBonus" (vanilla 2.0 I think). Just do the default, spesific provinces uses default
default,1,,,,,,,,,,,0,colony,-1000,-1000,,5,,,,,,,2.5,0.0125,0.4,,,,,,,,,,

in Players-resources.assets you can set "ThreatChance". You can edit proper minors and ungoverned
neutral,,Ungoverned Territory,,,,0.75,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,,Text,Text,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,12,,,,,,,,,stub for generic neutral country,,,,
default,1,,minor,,,1,FFFFFF,FFFFFF,,Text,Text,13500,default_ai,"3,000,000,000",,,,,,,,,,,,0,,,,,,,,13500,,,,ffffff,ffffff

Is there a reason why Destroyers can only have 4-5in guns?  some late Destroyer turrets have access to some casemate 2-3in guns, but its not possible to mount these guns separately

17 minutes ago, JaM said:

Is there a reason why Destroyers can only have 4-5in guns?

They can also have 2" and 3".

18 minutes ago, JaM said:

some late Destroyer turrets have access to some casemate 2-3in guns, but its not possible to mount these guns separately

You are probably talking about the Germans and Austrian destroyers, unless there are other components for DDs that can have casemates that I don't remember right now. The reason is this:

• A few updates ago, I limited the DD main guns to a maximum 2x barrel per turret.
  • In the recent 8.6 update I added secondaries to DDs, the reason behind this was to add triple and quad secondaries to DDs but mantaining the double barrel main turrets. By adding the secondaries, I also added casemates for the DDs as a consequence, since both are connected in the game files.
  • You are seeing the casemates on the German and Austrian DDs because they have a main tower that I added from cruisers to them. And that tower have locations to place casemates.

30 minutes ago, JaM said:

Only have 4in and 5in available - US Destroyer I (same thing with Destroyer II, strangely Torpedo Boats are fine). secondaries are greyed out:

image.thumb.png.18a8e15d304884bb77cc54f6faefff81.png

Thanks. I already know what is happening. Because I set the 2" and 3" as secondaries, they will only be available when is researched a specific tech for the DDs. Going to fix it.

• Like 1

N.A.R. alpha 0.8.7

This is my first attempt to balance and rework some mechanics around mines and subs. W.I.P.

Mine mechanic is still a broken mechanic at this moment. Removing the mine laying subs at least will prevent easy wins against the AI by sending the mine laying subs to their home waters. There is a terrible issue in game atm where if a fleet is damaged by mines, most likely all ships in the fleet will be damaged. This is still a work in progress to find a way to balance this mechanic in game, but if I found is impossible to make it work in a way that makes sense, I can consider removing from the mod.

Changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.4
  • Minelaying subs removed from the game for the moment. *Because of this, a new campaign is needed.
  • Mine sweep prevention increase.
  • Minefield size nerfed around the ports.
  • Mine event chance lowered.
  • Mine damage increased. To give a reason to invest in double or triple hull bottom when designing a ship.
  • Sub descriptions updated and added range info. (*base value)
  • Subs range nerfed. Now subclass and base of operations will be more important.
  • Fixed 2" and 3" guns missing from early DDs.

Both resource and english files were updated.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, JaM said:

still have the same issue with the guns for destroyers:

(or do i need to start new campaign?)

image.thumb.png.f73e8ccce1e24e24f8d413b54493353d.png

Mod updated with a fix. Sorry about that.

By the way, I will request from anyone playing the mod. If your fleet is hit by mines in the middle of the ocean, hundreds of miles away from the nearest enemy port. Then please send me the screenshot. Because there is no minelaying subs in the mod, if that happens then I will know the mechanic is completely broken, and I will remove the mines mechanic from the mod.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

Suggestion/request to have the mod's folder structure changed to facilitate a drag and drop install:
image.thumb.png.ed1164d0429d31f599d949085be7e78d.png

This has the benefit of preventing user error and standardising mod installation, meaning you can simply tell everyone to "drag and drop the contents of the folder to your UAD install in Steam/steamapps/common and click yes to the overwrite dialog", and it would work the same for both NAR and  NewHorizonsII.
Also it wouldn't be hard to make Snackbar's Balance Mod follow the same folder structure, to unify the current UAD modding scene in one single install method.
Add to that a bit of nagging on Munro to make an update for his modding video, and we could vastly increase modding accessibility for the average UAD player overnight.

Even without any support from Munro or Snackbar, I still think at least replicating the folder structure shown for NAR and offering the main folder as a zip in the Google Docs page would be a big plus for your mod.

Hopefully I'm not too annoying. I only say it cause I think it'd help.

image.thumb.png.dc54d246035cf99cb9f7709e5f6cfd86.pngFound three duplicated rows in the Parts file. Is this intentional, or did they get duplicated on accident?

I checked the vanilla file and yes they're duplicated there too.
They're absolutely exact copies of eachother so, unless it's a workaround for spaghetti code somewhere, I really don't see a reason to not delete them.

Was browsing available hulls in custom battles before I chose who and when to start a new campaign with, and at 1920 i noticed an Italian semi armored cruiser 4 that is limited to 7in guns but is considered a CA, same with china a semi armored cruiser 4 with the same limitations. I think these are added by the mod and was just wondering if they are intentionally a CA and not a CL? and ether way probably should be able to use at least 9in guns?

Sorry for being a pest with this 🙄 

but as it is, its not possible to build Destroyers with 3inch "guns only" as game wont allow saving ship without "Main gun" which are 4in and 5in - Its a problem for Destroyers as those 4in guns are quite heavy, so if you have to have one, it greatly destabilizes the ship, based on where you put it.

Any chance you could move 3inch guns to Main guns (for Destroyers) and only leave 2inch as secondary?

image.thumb.png.51907a706c28fa46504989121df1dfef.png

1 hour ago, clavernever said:

N.A.R. 0.87 for UAD 1.3.4 --- Clavernever's Flavour:

To install:
> Download the file and extract the contents directly into your Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts game folder (the folder where the .exe file is).
> Say yes to overwrite popup
> You're done.

Google Drive folder:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1htcX2Y_3jyrM65yvAuVXu7799OyttKjB?usp=share_link

You'll notice the file is only 256.5 mb instead of the usual ~750.
     This is just because for some reason compression went like really well, and I promise the full 750 mb are in there.
     Also no, it doesn't have viruses. I live in Linux, I don't have viruses on my PC and neither does my file.

Full Changelog:
    # Added 10" casemates to Battleships
    # Added 6" casemates to Heavy Cruisers
    # Added 4" casemates to Light Cruisers

# Removed Torpedo Launcher requirement from Destroyers
    # Removed Main Gun requirement from Torpedo Boats

# Increased Battleship Power Projection by 11%
        > Now they're a bit better than Battlecruisers at sustaining and breaking Blockades, instead of equally good.
          Do remember BCs are twice as good at raiding than BBs (as per vanilla default) so there's still a reason to have them.

# Modified Main and Secondary calibers for several ship classes, as follows:

Caliber (main guns) | Caliber (secondary guns)
        - Batttleships                          10 - 20     |       2 - 10
        - Battlecruisers                         8 - 16     |       2 -- 8
        - Heavy Cruisers                       6 - 12     |       2 -- 6
        - Light Cruisers                         4 -- 9     |       2 -- 4
        - Destroyers                              3 -- 6     |       2 -- 3

> You can now put as many 9" and 10" guns as you want on your BBs, regardless of "Large Guns" tech limits.
          This is a welcome side effect and I'm not going to change it.

@JaM -- Hopefully this helps your DD issue (notice I enabled 3" Main Guns on DDs).
@o Barão -- Hopefully you don't mind too much that I post this without asking previously. I'll remove it if you ask, and of course all the credit goes to you for N.A.R.
Your mod is amazing, so much so that I don't think there's a point to sharing my changes without it as a base.

You and i are of a like mind, thats pretty much exactly the kind of things i would have edited if i had time to tinker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, clavernever said:

@o Barão -- Hopefully you don't mind too much that I post this without asking previously. I'll remove it if you ask, and of course all the credit goes to you for N.A.R.
Your mod is amazing, so much so that I don't think there's a point to sharing my changes without it as a base.

With all due respect, but I do mind, yes, at least for now.

• You didn't ask permission to use my whole work as a base for your version. Nothing stops you from doing that, but it is a courtesy between modders to ask first.
  • You are posting a different version from my work in the same post I am using to share my work development.
  • My mod is still in development, and I would appreciate until the moment my work ends in a few months from other modders to refrain posting in public different versions from my work.

After my work is done, all modders are free to use content from N.A.R. and to launch different versions to the public. I will only ask when that happens to give credits to the author and the hundreds of hours invested in the work.

5 hours ago, JaM said:

Sorry for being a pest with this 🙄 

but as it is, its not possible to build Destroyers with 3inch "guns only" as game wont allow saving ship without "Main gun" which are 4in and 5in - Its a problem for Destroyers as those 4in guns are quite heavy, so if you have to have one, it greatly destabilizes the ship, based on where you put it.

Any chance you could move 3inch guns to Main guns (for Destroyers) and only leave 2inch as secondary?

image.thumb.png.51907a706c28fa46504989121df1dfef.png

Don't be. It is a perfect, reasonable request since it is impossible, in the current state, to build historical WWI DDs armed with 3" guns.

• Like 1

N.A.R. alpha 0.8.7.1

Changelog:

• 3" main battery added to destroyers.
  • "Enhanced modern tower I" added to Rus/Spa/Chi for the players to design Ognevoy-class destroyers and other DDs with a similar look.

NC6AxvC.jpg

All subs have the information about the range displayed in the sub description. *Base value without modifiers.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, JaM said:

something is terribly wrong with the mod - i cannot see ship hulls.. i thought i need to start new campaign, but same thing happened

image.thumb.png.c59a8f4d6ccfb922cfafff997fb998bc.png

The mines equipment removal is causing issues in other files. I had to revert that decision.

Resource file already updated.

• Like 1