Game-Labs Forum

"Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. BETA v11.2 - for UAD v1.5.1.3

o Barão

1 hour ago, o Barão said:

There is a modifier, but I prefer to see what the devs are going to do. It is very easy to exploit the poor AI logic if we can force the engagements when we want.

For anyone interested, in the "params" file you will see this:

denial_zone_size_modifier,0.00875,additional modifier for ship denial zone,,,,,,,

As a tip I learned from another player, you can force an engagement if you move your fleet to the AI destination spot. I am not saying this will work all the time, since there are many variables that the game will take into consideration, but you will probably see a big difference.

So hover the mouse above the enemy fleet to see their destination. Send your fleet to the exact same spot. If both fleets are arriving in the same turn, most likely a battle will occur.

Any idea about the 2nd part of my message, of ships being In Battle without an actual battle taking place? Is that just indicating that they're naval invading some land?

2 hours ago, DyonisX said:

Any idea about the 2nd part of my message, of ships being In Battle without an actual battle taking place? Is that just indicating that they're naval invading some land?

I didn't comment on that because I don't have an answer. I never saw that, but at the same time is already a few weeks since I played my last campaign, so it can be something new, and I am not aware.

4 hours ago, o Barão said:

There is a modifier, but I prefer to see what the devs are going to do. It is very easy to exploit the poor AI logic if we can force the engagements when we want.

For anyone interested, in the "params" file you will see this:

denial_zone_size_modifier,0.00875,additional modifier for ship denial zone,,,,,,,

As a tip I learned from another player, you can force an engagement if you move your fleet to the AI destination spot. I am not saying this will work all the time, since there are many variables that the game will take into consideration, but you will probably see a big difference.

So hover the mouse above the enemy fleet to see their destination. Send your fleet to the exact same spot. If both fleets are arriving in the same turn, most likely a battle will occur.

I am curious what program are you utilizing to unpack. edit and repack the asset files?

31 minutes ago, Pappystein said:

I am curious what program are you utilizing to unpack. edit and repack the asset files?

1) download UABEA https://github.com/nesrak1/UABEA
2) open resource.assets in this location with UABEA C:\....\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts_Data
3) Filter to only see the text files.
4) export and edit in excel or notepad++ plus CSVLint plug in
5) import the changes back to UABEA and update the resource,assets file.

Note: because the devs are still working on the game, I recommend using a text file comparison tool to make it easier to update your work. "Meld" is what I use and works great.
https://meldmerge.org/?utm_source=Logiciels.Pro

• Like 1

Also is it normal for some enemy ships to be literally invisible even during combat? It's usually the torpedo boats

Edit: To clarify, you can still click them, enemies still shoot them, they can still get destroyed, but they're physically invisible

Edited by DyonisX
  • Like 1

Just popping up to report that a component for Japanese CLs has stats that seem misplaced (currently on a campaign so not 100% sure, but it should unlock around 1915~1925)

image.png.9ae3c2ee3bff9bf255ee860f1b9fbbe5.pngimage.png.77f4f0ebf53595f44828058e90c7b013.png

As the screenshots show, "Large Barbette Tower I" has by far the best stats, while being the least advanced/smallest of the three.
I blame the rather misleading name, as the large barbette tower is actually the tiniest and lightest of the three and is not, indeed, large at all.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DyonisX said:

Also is it normal for some enemy ships to be literally invisible even during combat? It's usually the torpedo boats

Edit: To clarify, you can still click them, enemies still shoot them, they can still get destroyed, but they're physically invisible

Not normal. This started to happen a few weeks ago, and I still don't know why. I think it is related to the reveal mechanic if shooting outside the spotting range. In stock game is only 5%, where in N.A.R. was 100%. I then nerfed to 50% to see if it would make a difference, but didn't work. Next version, I will revert this mechanic to the stock values to see if it will fix this issue.

Edited by o Barão

Uploaded a new version, with some changes:

• Puerto Rico is a Spanish colony in 1890.
  • Reveal mechanic values reverted to stock values. Report if this fix the invisible ships issues.
  • Some stats rebalanced for large barbette tower variants and in one rear tower IV.

Important:

U0MrVOy.jpg

The next update is going to be delayed. I am getting this error and I need to find what is the issue and fix first before upload.

Preview:

2Bhqfy2.jpg

tlG6Tky.jpg

• Created French early destroyers package.
  • French dd funnels rebalanced
  • Fixed french 5" gun model for CL and DDs
  • Front towers size rebalanced (torpedo boats)
  • Torpedo boat destroyer size rebalanced
  • France DD 1 size rebalanced
  • Colony army percentage at 15%
  • Reshade presets Highlights, Midtones, Shadows exposure and contrast updated.

Edited by o Barão
  • Like 1

0.9.4.8 N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.8
  • Fixed french 5" gun model for CL and DDs
  • Colony army percentage at 15%
  • Reshade presets Highlights, Midtones, Shadows exposure and contrast updated.

Note:

• The French early DDs package was postponed to a later update, probably when 1.4 goes live.
  • Due to some changes made by the devs, and from my editing, it is recommended to delete the campaign and custom battle saves to avoid any issues.

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. Alpha build 0.9.4.8 - for UAD v1.3.9.8
  • o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. Alpha build 0.9.4.8r - for UAD v1.3.9.8r

Hi,

Probably someone asked this before. Has someone tried a separate installation? For example, duplicating the game folder in steam and installing this on the duplicated folder. I want to see if I can avoid auto-updates in the game.

Regards,

2 minutes ago, bshaftoe said:

Hi,

Probably someone asked this before. Has someone tried a separate installation? For example, duplicating the game folder in steam and installing this on the duplicated folder. I want to see if I can avoid auto-updates in the game.

Regards,

If you'd like to stop Steam from automatically updating a game, select "Only update this game when I launch it" from the game's Library page > Properties > Updates.

And launch the game directly from the exe. file not from steam.

C:\XXXXX\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

• Thanks 3

N.A.R. v1.0 preview W.I.P.

British BB hull rework:
- Dreadnought II package, reworked to resemble more the Colossus and Neptune class.
- Dreadnought III hull changed to resemble more the Orion class and KGV (1911) class.
- Dreadnought IV package, reworked to resemble more the Iron Duke and Queen Elizabeth class.
- Dreadnought V package, reworked to resemble more the Revenge Class.

A4zgdoD.jpg

kQfgbh8.jpg

NrDNI9b.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, o Barão said:

If you'd like to stop Steam from automatically updating a game, select "Only update this game when I launch it" from the game's Library page > Properties > Updates.

And launch the game directly from the exe. file not from steam.

C:\XXXXX\Steam\steamapps\common\Ultimate Admiral Dreadnoughts

For some reason I have always thought that when you do that the exe takes you to Steam and ends up updating anyway, but if you confirm this workaround works... well, thanks! :)

2 hours ago, o Barão said:

N.A.R. v1.0 preview W.I.P.

British BB hull rework:
- Dreadnought II package, reworked to resemble more the Colossus and Neptune class.
- Dreadnought III hull changed to resemble more the Orion class and KGV (1911) class.
- Dreadnought IV package, reworked to resemble more the Iron Duke and Queen Elizabeth class.
- Dreadnought V package, reworked to resemble more the Revenge Class.

A4zgdoD.jpg

kQfgbh8.jpg

NrDNI9b.jpg

Is there no way to rename the hull types ingame to their intended ships instead of leaving them as 'Dreadnought X'?

17 minutes ago, DyonisX said:

Is there no way to rename the hull types ingame to their intended ships instead of leaving them as 'Dreadnought X'?

Yes, there is. You can rename any component in the "parts" file. But renaming hulls will not have any effect on the ship name, only the component. You can already edit the ship name when designing or in the ship fleet tab by double-clicking above the ship name.

Ji1dawU.jpg

0.9.5 N.A.R. changelog:

• Updated to UAD 1.3.9.8r2
  • Colony army percentage at 5%.

British BB hull rework:

• Dreadnought II package, reworked to resemble more the Colossus and Neptune class.
  • Dreadnought III hull changed to resemble more the Orion class and KGV (1911) class.
  • Dreadnought IV package, reworked to resemble more the Iron Duke and Queen Elizabeth class.
  • Dreadnought V package, reworked to resemble more the Revenge Class.

Note:

• Due to the changes to the "parts" file, it is highly recommended to start a new campaign.
  • I reverted the colony percentage to the stock values. 5% of the total population seems to be a reasonable value. This can change in the future.
  • Like 1

• o Barão changed the title to "Naval Arms Race" mod overhaul. Alpha build 0.9.5 - for UAD v1.3.9.8r2
On 7/24/2023 at 10:04 PM, o Barão said:

Not normal. This started to happen a few weeks ago, and I still don't know why. I think it is related to the reveal mechanic if shooting outside the spotting range. In stock game is only 5%, where in N.A.R. was 100%. I then nerfed to 50% to see if it would make a difference, but didn't work. Next version, I will revert this mechanic to the stock values to see if it will fix this issue.

Not sure if you reverted the values back to stock yet, but it's still happening every now and then.

Invisible.png

9 hours ago, o Barão said:

Yes, there is. You can rename any component in the "parts" file. But renaming hulls will not have any effect on the ship name, only the component. You can already edit the ship name when designing or in the ship fleet tab by double-clicking above the ship name.

I know about naming ship design, I meant that knowing what the hull is supposed to be helps in knowing what would actually make sense to put on it

19 minutes ago, DyonisX said:

I know about naming ship design, I meant that knowing what the hull is supposed to be helps in knowing what would actually make sense to put on it

It doesn't. The reason being, to have a naming scheme like 1,2,3, etc.., helps to understand where is the progression for all players. To replace that for historical ships names will only make things a lot confusing for the players that don't know the ships history.

6 hours ago, King_Tiger_II said:

Why does the files activate my anti-virus all of the sudden?

There is no executable program in the mod, only two files that will replace two files from the game. And my new pc is two weeks old, and I run a scan right now and nothing was detected. But I have no idea how your anti-virus work, or maybe I do, and I am an incredible hacker who seeks world domination by spreading a virus through a naval game mod. I am joking, of course.

13 hours ago, bshaftoe said:

For some reason I have always thought that when you do that the exe takes you to Steam and ends up updating anyway, but if you confirm this workaround works... well, thanks! :)

Yes, it should work fine with UAD. There was an update late yesterday, by the devs, and so you probably already saw that it is possible to block the update.