Game-Labs Forum

Who names their own ships?

Admiral Donuts

I don't usually, unless I just don't like the name of one. Most of my problems with ship names come up when I play as a nation other than the US, Japan, UK or Germany, since I don't know naming conventions of most other navies in game, nor do I have the faintest idea of how to spell a ship name in other languages, unless its a ship name I already know (like Jean Bart or Litorrio). Seriously, when I started naming French cruisers after food (Baguette, Macaroon) and their destroyers after animals (Leopard, Bison)...I knew I was nearing my limits. But hey, I got some good laughs at seeing something like "CA Baguette sinks BB Oldenburg"

• Like 3

Being a native German speaker I change the names of German and Austrian ships where they are clearly wrong. Like being called "Bavaria" or "Saxony" instead of "Bayern" and "Sachsen". Also weird stuff like "Prinzessin" being followed by a male name and vice versa. Other than that I try to include the names of ships that I like. Monarch, Warspite, Derfflinger are recurring. I recently also started putting little asterisks in the names of ships after every battle they do particularly well in. Kinda like a battle star/battle honour system, to keep track of unusually successful ships.

• Like 3

I change the names too, especially when I play France. I like to give names using the same thematic to ships of the same class. The thematics I often use are:
- 1st French Empire marshals: (Davout), Berthier, Lannes, Murat, Nay, Soult, etc.
- 1st French Empire victories: (Austerlitz), (Wagram), (Iéna), Auerstaedt, Marengo, Arcole, Eckmuhl, etc. 
- French girl names: Amandine, Bénédicte, Clémentine, Daphné, Eglantine, etc.
- French wind names: Mistral, Tramontane, Zéphyr, Sirocco, Autan, etc. 
- Famous french kings: Henri IV, Philippe Auguste, Dagobert III, (Saint Louis), etc.
- French cities names
- French regions
- Funny names for a warship: Finesse, Subtilité, Douceur, Tendresse, etc.
- Mazarin, a cardinal, to go with Richelieu
- I often have a trio of BB called: Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité

(Names in parenthesis are not mine and already in the game)

• Like 3

I do! Some of my names are:

Battleships:

-Elena Bárbara (My mother's name)

-Santísima Trinidad (named after the famous ship of the line)

-Imperio (Empire)

Battlecruisers:

-Vencedor (Vanquisher)

-Devastador (Ravager)

-Ejecutor (Executor)

For Battleships, I don't follow any pattern, I merely name them after something honourable, big or important (at least to me, such as my mother).

For Battlecruisers, I chose the aesthetic of glorifying adjectives.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Hibbidyhai said:

For my French campaign I named BB's through CL's after French painters, and let the TBs/DDs autogenerate their names. I only named the first ship in the class and managed to make it to about 1930 before I started running out of painters.

Good idea the painters. I steal it for my next french campaign. ☺️

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I checked to see that it worked, but given how many times I've had to restart the campaign (I know it's a work in progress, I'm not complaining about that), I stopped naming unless I deeply dislike the name.  When the game is done with adding completely new features and forcing new campaign starts, then yes, I plan to start naming my ships.  Favorites of mine, from Total War: Napoleon for example, I played a very long campaign as the UK.  My armed merchants were precious stones or birds.  5th rates, which I used extensively in anti-piracy in Empire, were Swift, Chase, Rapid, or Cheetah, or anything suggesting speed.  1st rates were Magnificent, Splendid, (King Name and Number Goes Here), of course I had a Victory.  So generally themes.  I also share the problem of a poster from above (looks... @HistoricalAccuracyMan ) wherein I don't know enough foreign languages to come up with names.  So detailed lists of ship nmes are very helpful.

Speaking of, an idea for the game - lists of ship names, both historical and fictional, grouped by class, and selectable by dropdown.

• Like 1