Game-Labs Forum

My suggestion on how to make basic navigation fun, engageing and

I spent 23 years applying these techniques in land navigation where the task is much more difficult due line of sight obstructions and a multitude more numerous terrain features.  If it took me much more than a day or two to get the basics down I'm misremembering. It was the same with aviation navigation. 

I see two potential game enhancements around this technique:

With some sort of chart mode the navigation task should be only slightly challenging but likely to even be a welcome distraction over long routes. Other than captains taking periodic scans of the horizon the developers will have to generate graphics for the ship's company gathering for sea shanties to avoid glazed eyes.

From an economic and naval standpoint a much more interesting challenge would be for chart making. Ignoring the fact that all ships in unknown waters would have done this, an entire class of mission could be centered around this.  Survey ships employing these techniques could fan out developing charts.  The more care taken, the more accurate - and VALUABLE - the chart would be.

A ship surveying along a route at speed could to some extent estimate the approximate size of islands by plotting the distribution of observable peaks.  These initial surveys could be used to plan much more detailed followup surveys while providing useful preliminary charts for naval forces.

Charts from one region could be traded to be used by other nations that hadn't or couldn't survey the region. For that matter, the most accurate charts could be reserved for national assets while lower accuracy charts were sold to foreign markets.  An entire game, craft and/or economy could be built around this.

The developers have already moved beyond the idea that all aspects of the game must be equally enjoyable to every player.  If there is too much emphasis on pandering to the lowest common denominator then they'll eventually be trying to compete for market share with Spongebob Squarepants in nautical themed franchises. I'd welcome at least a little more diversity and challenge.

I like that.

In essence you would have two different types of navigation.

If you own a chart for the area, be it bought or made by yourself, you just travel via minimap, no hassle, no need to actually produce charts for the game, no discouraging those who don't like navigation.

If you don't own any charts you travel by navigation, thereby producing a chart which means you don't have to do it the second time you travel these waters and you could sell it. Also it is a valuable ressource, so if your ship ends up as a prize it could maybe be a nice commodity for your captor. And you should not be able to sell it to other nationals. Let each nation find their own ways through the carribean.

• 3 months later...

I just wonder if someone have seen or heard anything about if they are going to intergrate some basic tools for navigation in the game?
I see that they sometimes recomend the use of google maps, but u cant even draw a rumbline with compas heading on that one so its impossible to make a descent route planning...

I just wonder if someone have seen or heard anything about if they are going to intergrate some basic tools for navigation in the game?

I see that they sometimes recomend the use of google maps, but u cant even draw a rumbline with compas heading on that one so its impossible to make a descent route planning...

We are currently working on something that should help

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/6620-an-accurate-map-of-the-west-indies-commisioned-by-the-decatur-armada/

Eventually you will be able to place down a compass with rumblines/navigation lines to get headings at any point on the map.  We have something similar in our internal testing and it is pretty slick.

While you can't pinpoint your location you can place it at your approximate location and it is pretty decent.

We will also have how to videos on how to navigate using the map and a video on how to open our map in the steam overlay web browser

If you're plotting your own position I'd say it would have to be noon, sextant and chronometer plotting, adding even a sextant would add more for the developers to do as they would have to add a working sextant and make sure the sun is perfectly synchronised.
I've made a similar thread where officers would be put to doing this work instead (after all you're the captain) not the Captain, first mate, navigation officer, gunnery officer, and bosun; your job is to relegate tasks to the other officers (while still keeping the game fun for you)
I have a similar thread up here "On the topic of officers" and it covers my vision of how officers could handle your charts for you and all gamelabs would have to add in is a chart room in your ship where you're 'leglocked' into one posistion essentially making it a fancy map.

Naval action is flat. A true working sextant isn't possible. Best they could do is simulate it.

The "you are the captain not the navigator" argument isn't valid. After all, the captain didn't aim the guns and most often if ever didn't steer the wheel himself. Navigation should be a required skill to learn just like aiming and gunnery is. You don't need to learn trigonometry to get navigation down, you just need experience playing the game and applying yourself.

All the info that is necessary is already in the game if people "aim their minds to figure out the solution" like I've said many times before.  Practicing basic navigation with only a map and using no math is enough to get by and do decent.  If you want anything better you have to use your mind which is how it should be and sets skill apart from no skill.  Just like you have to practice gunnery to get better at aiming and you have to have many battles to get better at maneuvering and tactics.

• Like 2

The "you are the captain not the navigator" argument isn't valid.

If it isn't valid then why do we have (currently locked) slots for officers? I would assume officers in a naval simulator would be more than wooden set-pieces that you plug into your ship to give static bonuses; why not just add more mod slots?

Firstly we are without a map and having a navigational officer give your position on the map (A lot of this is covered in detail in my thread here), we have to do 360 degree sweeps to see if there is a ship in the distance, something that the officer of the watch should be controlling, gunnery officers to give boosts to accuracy and damage to gunnery as well as widening that little line we get for aiming so what normally would be a miss would be a hit if the wider red bar encompassed it. I cover it a lot more in detail in my thread and urge that you read it and give any (constructive) criticisms you have to it there.

It's a naval simulator, I would assume they would want to simulate officers too as living breathing people, not just an item to give the ship bonuses.

Take silent hunter for example. You can take the sonar station and listen or leave it up to your sonar operator, you can do that with most of the vital, officer manned stations on the sub as well or you can let your officers do their job (and in the more recent versions they get better at their job just by doing it).

If it isn't valid then why do we have (currently locked) slots for officers? I would assume officers in a naval simulator would be more than wooden set-pieces that you plug into your ship to give static bonuses; why not just add more mod slots?

Firstly we are without a map and having a navigational officer give your position on the map (A lot of this is covered in detail in my thread here), we have to do 360 degree sweeps to see if there is a ship in the distance, something that the officer of the watch should be controlling, gunnery officers to give boosts to accuracy and damage to gunnery as well as widening that little line we get for aiming so what normally would be a miss would be a hit if the wider red bar encompassed it. I cover it a lot more in detail in my thread and urge that you read it and give any (constructive) criticisms you have to it there.

It's a naval simulator, I would assume they would want to simulate officers too as living breathing people, not just an item to give the ship bonuses.

Take silent hunter for example. You can take the sonar station and listen or leave it up to your sonar operator, you can do that with most of the vital, officer manned stations on the sub as well or you can let your officers do their job (and in the more recent versions they get better at their job just by doing it).

Dude, this is a game, where you take over the command of parts of the ship.  You are more than the captain.  You are the gun captains, you are the helmsman, you are the officers of the watch, and you are the navigator.  It is all you.  Your skill determines how well you do.  That is all that is needed.  Practice and your mind is what will set you apart from other players.

This is not a simulator.

And we are not without a map or tools.  All that is required is already present if you use your mind.  Or wait for others to create all the necessary stuff for you.