Game-Labs Forum

Ingame chat color for mods.

After following some of the ongoing conversations, I would like to propose following:

Give mods a change to use different text color in chat when they are moderating. So that players know that they are not just pretending to be one.

• Like 10

I m 100% fine with the mods beeing incognito when observing however they should not be incognito when intervening. That is when they take action in form of moderators. For example warning a player it should be very clear that they are moderators.

..sry for the double post hre but just cam to think about this after klicking post. Think about it like civil police officers. They will ahve civil clothes and blend in. But when they Interven they have to show thier badges.

There may be occasions where mods are "incognito" to observe behaviour and they will need a mechanism to blend in. There will also be times when they need to wear the official hat and indisputably be identified as mods or staff.

That said, having worked with Law Enforcement, there is an extra benefit to having marked over unmarked units.  A marked car sitting beside the road will cause everyone to slow down.  An unmarked car will only catch one person, everyone else will never know it's there.  I'm not sure if we'd see the same effect here or not.  Knowing there is a moderator in the lobby would go a long ways towards curbing unwanted behavior, versus an incognito mod whom nobody knows is lurking.

• Like 1

I have to agree that there should be some kind of designation for mods. Not so that we "behave" properly only when they are around, but authoritarian purposes.  I have played numerous MMO games, and there are so many players that pretend to be a mod for trolling purposes. For me if I see someone just stating they are a mod, and requesting that I do something, due to the other games I have played, I personally tend to blow them off. Does that mean I'll be rude to them..no, not at all...but it does mean the odds are very good that I will ignore them or what they are instructing me to do. Hence this could escalate into something of a miscommunication in which it is perceived I do not care what the mod has to say...but it is actually me ignoring the mod becuase i do not believe in who they are on face value due to past gaming history.  I seen the forum on the drama that took place earlier, and in no way am i defending things said to the mod, as silence is sometimes the best thing, but if there was a color or designation, I think the mod would have been taken seriously immediately, and then if someone does not follow their instructions..immediate disclipline could be taken, rather than let me try and prove to you who I am type thing. 

Also someone earlier mention a mod being incognito for certain purposes, and again I can agree with that. I am unsure the "behind the scenes" of how chat works but even if there is a incognito mod in the game room, I think there should be a mechanism in place that a mod can "interupt" any chat room in the mod designation color or symbol and give instructions. An example in another MMO, the dev/mod/gamemaster can just enter the chat with their designated account name/color but not be part of the party or group that is in the instance.  

So with that all the wind is out of my sails so I must go now lol

Edited by Nytmare