Game-Labs Forum

Discussion: Hull classification symbol

RanFodar

Recently, I have read a Wikipedia article about the Hull classification symbol:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hull_classification_symbol

And I would like to discuss this, as historically these hull types would be much more broader than the games implemented like RTW. Right now, we have six hull types: BB (Battleship), BC (Battlecruiser), CA (Armoured/Heavy Cruiser), CL (Light Cruiser), DD (Destroyer), and TB (Torpedo Boat). We may also get a hint that these hull types would be expanded in the upcoming alpha releases. So, how would you like to see this developed?

Edited by RanFodar

I agree. While the developers will be busy in the campaign, I hope we can have at least similar identification to RTW in launch, although I'm unsure with the aircraft carriers being developed in the game. Looking forward for their work.

• Like 1

I want players to be able to set hull classification for enemy ships manually. I am quite tired of seeing "CA" and "BC" marks on battleships. In fact, if player correctly identifies ship type, then the game should identify them faster than it would otherwise take. This is how it works in Cold Waters, and it worked well there.

3 minutes ago, Shaftoe said:

I want players to be able to set hull classification for enemy ships manually. I am quite tired of seeing "CA" and "BC" marks on battleships. In fact, if player correctly identifies ship type, then the game should identify them faster than it would otherwise take. This is how it works in Cold Waters, and it worked well there.

i would prefer to see in game "Large" for BB and BC , "Medium" for cruisers and "light" for DDs and torpedo boats. it seems odd to see "CA" as an example above an enemy dd. Doens't make any sense.

9 minutes ago, o Barão said:

i would prefer to see in game "Large" for BB and BC , "Medium" for cruisers and "light" for DDs and torpedo boats. it seems odd to see "CA" as an example above an enemy dd. Doens't make any sense.

I disagree. In fact, it does make sense.

From a long range, a large destroyer/destroyer leader may appear to be the same size and shape as a light cruiser, so "small" and "medium" categories simly don't work. In fact, such misidentifications happened historically. Remember the case of Bismarck and Prinz Eugen - a "large" battleship being confused with a "medium" cruiser, just because they had similar silhouettes.

So, obviously, your idea don't meet the fidelity requirements set for this intended-to-be-realistic game. 

Edited by Shaftoe

45 minutes ago, Shaftoe said:

I disagree. In fact, it does make sense.

From a long range, a large destroyer/destroyer leader may appear to be the same size and shape as a light cruiser, so "small" and "medium" categories simly don't work. In fact, such misidentifications happened historically. Remember the case of Bismarck and Prinz Eugen - a "large" battleship being confused with a "medium" cruiser, just because they had similar silhouettes.

So, obviously, your idea don't meet the fidelity requirements set for this intended-to-be-realistic game. 

Yes but the problem with the game mechanics is that you can teleport your camera to the target ship. So if you see "CA" above an DD you cleary understand what is right. However if you see " Medium" above a cruiser you don't know if is a light cruiser or a heavy cruiser.

IMO it would be a better compromise between reality and gameplay.

39 minutes ago, o Barão said:

Yes but the problem with the game mechanics is that you can teleport your camera to the target ship. So if you see "CA" above an DD you cleary understand what is right. However if you see " Medium" above a cruiser you don't know if is a light cruiser or a heavy cruiser.

This is why I suggested that the player must be able to manually set target type to every detected enemy ship, thus increasing the speed of their identification. 

Example: If I see a "CA" that is actually a BB, then I am changing "CA" to "BB", and if I am correct - identification skyrockets from, say 20% to 60%.

Edited by Shaftoe
  • Like 1