Game-Labs Forum

More Hulls? An open discussion on DD's DDE's, CL's, and CA's.

Greetings all, I'm Daijoubu.

After playing Ultimate Admiral for several months I've come to a conclusion. There is a distinct lack of late war hulls for all kinds of ships! I'm surprised that when playing custom battles I'm still sending DD's that look like the Mutsuki against a modern battleship. In addition, with this update we have some modern CA hulls, but more niche stuff would be interesting. Perhaps something like the IJN cruisers. (ie. Takao-class & Furutaka-class.) Also, wouldn't it be neat to have DDE's? They may not serve much use now, but in the future (especially in campaign) such low cost ships could be a welcome addition to convoy fleets & such. Do you fellow captains also believe there is a lack of late war hulls?

Oh, and one last thing. Do you think it would be a good idea to allow the Ship designer to select weapon skins manually instead of based on country & year? For example placing early war (unshielded 2-3") mounts on late war ships for a more authentic look?

I think the desire for new destroyer hulls is long-standing, so hopefully a couple are in the works. I agree that IJN cruiser hulls would be good.

I think DE hulls make sense if submarines are also implemented -- if only in abstract would be fine.

I think your last point would be best in a pure sandbox mode, where there are no restrictions whatsoever. Custom battles have been a half step in that direction.

• 2 weeks later...

If we are talking about destroyers, game need DD hull supporting ABXY gun position: Fletcher, Akizuki, Tribal and etc. 

Second thing is DD with 6''. French counter destroyers (Magador and Co.) and type 1936A destroyer (aka Narvik class).

Third, the game has very few options for protected (aka semi-armored cruiser) cruisers. But before dreadnought arrived it was a very popular and varied ships. From tiny Hekla (1300) to giant Powerful (14200). And of course, a long time need to add semi-armored hull with 6'' on-board

andrian-tihomirov-cgi-040-comp-v09-0315.

Another hole is the armored cruiser. A Warrior is good, but everything else ... suffice it to say that casemates most hull don't supporting 6'' and more. And 6'' was typical weapons for the pre-dreadnought era CA. And some  CA have even 8'' in casemates.

BJrSSnz.jpg

Edited by TAKTCOM
WAR FOR IMPROVEMENT

• 2 weeks later...

It'd also be nice to have coastal defense ships like the ones Sweden used as a seperate hull-class. While you can probably sort of hack together an equivalent by building a minimum displacement outdated hull with more modern guns, it'd be nice to have a seperate hull-class for them.

Also I hope the developers will adjust the N3/G3 hull to allow the main tower to be placed further back, because right now the tower must be placed so far forward that you can't really make the all-forward setup those two ships were supposed to have.

Edited by Norbert Sattler
added all-forward gun-layout argument