Game-Labs Forum

AI cruiser designs slightly unfair

Anyone else finding that the heavy cruisers built by the AI have near God tier level of armor for their size? I have been encountering battles were hostile ships might as well be battle cruisers when my heavy cruisers are either balancing armor and firepower (meaning they cannot penetrate hostile armor without being in suicide range) or having to equip battleship grade guns to combat these tactics. Is anyone else having issues with heavy cruiser roles being slightly blurred with fast battleships?

8 minutes ago, ThatOneBounced said:

Anyone else finding that the heavy cruisers built by the AI have near God tier level of armor for their size? I have been encountering battles were hostile ships might as well be battle cruisers when my heavy cruisers are either balancing armor and firepower (meaning they cannot penetrate hostile armor without being in suicide range) or having to equip battleship grade guns to combat these tactics. Is anyone else having issues with heavy cruiser roles being slightly blurred with fast battleships?

Yeah they seem like mini supercruisers or micro BC's with the amount of armour they sometimes have, hopefully the AI should get better restrictions to not go too mental lol.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, arkhangelsk said:

I don't think anyone has been able to catch this game's AI cheating in ship design, but you might be the first. Go ahead, take pictures :)

sadly, the AI is now seeming to behave, and the forum put a 1.9 mb limit on me so I can not do a quick screen grab, will try the modern cruisers as that's when it is most heinous 

Edited by ThatOneBounced

40 minutes ago, ThatOneBounced said:

sadly, the AI is now seeming to behave, and the forum put a 1.9 mb limit on me so I can not do a quick screen grab, will try the modern cruisers as that's when it is most heinous 

Ahh try this site. https://www.noelshack.com/

its in french (i think) but will allow you to upload, i cant read french (well sort of thanks to the website).

hope that helps!

13 minutes ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The high armor setting is usually the turret armor. Auto-Design adapts to technology needs of the year.

We will offer a tooltip to show the exact distribution of armor, for more clarity.

Even with that being said, my cruisers of equal size and greater guns have a <30% chance of penetration of their belt armor, I am sure that there are some serious armor in other places as well. 

5 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

The high armor setting is usually the turret armor. Auto-Design adapts to technology needs of the year.

We will offer a tooltip to show the exact distribution of armor, for more clarity.

A tooltip to see exact distribution is I feel, badly needed. 

I had an enemy BB today, 51,000 tons. EIGHTEEN 356mm (14 inch) guns and a 400mm armor value all while hauling ass at 32 knots and maximum bulkheads, unless this ship had no citadel, no barbette armor and no anti flood I see no way it could exist. It had about 30 secondary barrels as well. And was shrugging off belt hits by my own 381mm guns at 12-20km.  If it doesn't have a proper citadel or anti flooding or anything like that, I would expect every actual hit on it to be catastrophic after it does get through all that rmor, that would be the balancing factor. 

I've also noticed that main gun turrets are incredibly difficult to disable under alpha 5. (At least capital turrets are.) 

6 hours ago, Nick Thomadis said:

Though a tooltip may be an easy-to-implement interim measure, it is too much information to provide in play in the long run.

In the long run, what I'll prefer to see is the option to check out the AI design after the battle in the Ship Designer screen. If it is an "OP" design, I definitely want to see what I can copy from it.

We may also just be able to eventually tell the computer "OK, these are the 5 best designs you ever made. Use them to fight me."

Edited by arkhangelsk
  • Like 2