Game-Labs Forum

Guns reload time

Hussarball_PL

So, right now you can't build historical accurate Yamato(at least in custom battles), reason - triple 460mm guns reload time is at best slightly below 50s, real one could fire 1 and half to 2 round per minute. Other guns also suffer from long reload, if you want guns that fire something like 2 rounds per minute then you have to choose a low-caliber crapgun that will do to battleships next to no damage .Back to Yamato, max range of triple 460mm is 40.(5?)Km, kinda off to historical 42.000 m.

My suggestion:

-add another faster reload mechanizm at a cost of increased ammo detonation

-add some kind of gun customization for example longer barrels or more explosive propeller in shell

P.S.

please note that i'm NOT a naval warfare expert. I've just played World of Warships and current slow pace of game is not ideal for me.

Note that in custom battles you are allowed up to Mark 3 18 inch cannons (460 mm).

Mark 4 or Mark 5 cannons have closer specifics to what you are referring to (or better) with autoloader module already in game and you got to play with them only  in certain missions in Naval Academy.

Whether DEV will move from generic armament names like "18 inch Mark 5" to "Type 94 naval gun" (name dependent in the year you unlock it?) or some third option in release version of the game I have no idea.

Anyway, when they unlock more of tech three for custom games you will be able to build something more like what you want.

Edited by Dirlinger

I would have to jump in game to see how the rate of fire is handled. I honestly haven't paid much attention to it, but it feels faster than what it would be. At least to me. As Dirlinger already stated the gun MK and loader module can change the rate of fire. I also believe that shell weight will also change that and chances are when crew is added they will adjust that rate further.

I personally think the RoF in game is fine. It's impossible to make it historically accurate to a T as many of those numbers you see are influenced by things outside the gun and ammo lift itself. For example crew training and freshness and taking short cuts, like leaving hatches open or stacking charge in places it has no business being.

The pacing of the game is tricky to get right. To slow and it pushes people away and to quick and it's not really naval combat anymore. However, this game is substantially faster than normal. Take the Battle of the River Plate in WW2. It lasted roughly 2.5 - 3hrs and the Graf Spee fired a total of 414 shells. Only 10 hit. For context she carried a total of 600 shells and used all of her nose fused (HE) and nearly all of her base fused (HE) shells. In this game I'd be completely out of shells before the 2hr mark and have over 100 hit easily. Heck I'd have near 500 or more hits in most cases if the battle lasted 2.5 to 3hrs. I have an average of roughly 1hr long battles for 3v3. In this context I feel the game should be slowed down not speed up!

Anyone wondering, numbers are pulled from "Command Decisions: Langsdorff and Battle of the River Plate" by David Miller

47 minutes ago, Ruan said:

In this context I feel the game should be slowed down not speed up!

Too be honest any slower and people would actually start to not bother playing, hense the reason for the x2 and x3 buttons. If you play at normal speed you can achieve similar times but i'd rather not sit and watch for almost 2hours to have something interesting to happen, i get people want historical accuracy but it is a game after all and fun comes first (but shouldn't be the only piority).

Plus the devs would limit an already niche crowd of players so yeah. Rate of fire seems fine, in general.

I'd rather not have the game sped up or turned into the braindead mentalness that is world of warships, so i agree with that.

• Like 1

I can understand that. I dont think it would be as bad if we had landmasses in battles; screens, scouts, support roles that properly worked and smaller ships that were actually dangerous. Then we would have to interact more with battles. Currently it's more or less set course and shoot.

I'm not against faster speed either. I very much enjoy how Rule the waves does it. Time is clearly sped up but everything else is still normal. While in constrast this game, time is normal but everything else is sped up, either directly or indirectly (aka increased hit rates as one example). It makes it tough to use positioning and maneuvering effectively. As realistically that would take hours.

There is also the argument that the current setup for this game is influencing design on ships. I tend to place more armor and prioritize RoF over anything even going with smaller guns on my ships because the hit rate is so high and volume of fire seals more damage than bigger shells.

If anything, some of the ships are firing too slowly.  I just did a skirmish and tried to replicate the Bismarck's 3rounds/minute, and the fastest I can hit with the guns is ~2.5 rounds/min (Tube ammo, lights shells, auto firing turrets).   

Many references claim that this was the fastest firing large caliber gun ever built. The ROF figures listed above represent generally published data that would support that claim. However, Krupp official documents cite the ROF as being 26 seconds at a four degree elevation, not notably faster than that of other nations' large-caliber weapons. Note that at this elevation the range would be considerably less than 10,000 meters. It is possible that well trained gun crews would reduce this time to the 20 seconds necessary to meet a ROF of 3 times per minute. A May 1941 report by the German Artillerieversuchskommando - AVSK (Artillery Testing Command for Ships) stated that the turret ammunition hoists on Bismarck were capable of delivering between 23 and 25 rounds per minute (for all four turrets), the equivalent of 3 rounds per minute per gun. However, this same report stated that design faults in the hoists led to two significant breakdowns during the evaluation, both of which caused long interruptions in the ammunition supply. Finally, it should be noted that Bismarck fired a total of 91 rounds during her thirteen minutes of firing at the Denmark Strait battle, which is actually less than one round per gun per minute.

http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNGER_15-52_skc34.php

Can't just take the catalog spec as the guide.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2020 at 3:28 PM, Hussarball_PL said:

So, right now you can't build historical accurate Yamato(at least in custom battles), reason - triple 460mm guns reload time is at best slightly below 50s, real one could fire 1 and half to 2 round per minute. Other guns also suffer from long reload, if you want guns that fire something like 2 rounds per minute then you have to choose a low-caliber crapgun that will do to battleships next to no damage .Back to Yamato, max range of triple 460mm is 40.(5?)Km, kinda off to historical 42.000 m.

My suggestion:

-add another faster reload mechanizm at a cost of increased ammo detonation

-add some kind of gun customization for example longer barrels or more explosive propeller in shell

P.S.

please note that i'm NOT a naval warfare expert. I've just played World of Warships and current slow pace of game is not ideal for me.

did you try with lighter shells and white tube powder?

You know Hangar, my point here is that you CAN'T built al least 85% historical Yamato. 

16 hours ago, Hangar18 said:

lighter shells and white tube powder

When you choose this maximum range is garbage compered to historical and  you only get down to ~47 seconds

actual rate of fire in combat is always significantly slower than theoretical ROF during sea trials. sure, you might be able to achieve X rate of fire during calm seas with minimal elevation, fresh gun crews and nothing else to worry about, but in combat your guns are elevated, seas are not likely to be near dead calm, there's all kinds of other shit to worry about, and after about 2 minutes of combat the crew is not going to be fresh. so how would you accurately simulate ROF slow down from the multitude of factors at play? same sort of issue with gun ranges. sure, a real gun could in theory fire halfway around the world. but you'd never hit anything, and by the time a shell got out there it would lose a significant amount of penetrating power to wind resistance. no battles were fought at maximum theoretical range because you're doing nothing but threatening the local fish populations of the next latitude over.

UA:D is after all a game, and game balance is a thing. they're obviously working on the it, but it wouldn't make sense to have a ship fire every round on board within an hour of the opening salvo. at that point just stay at range until they run out and rush in with torpedo.

• Like 1