Game-Labs Forum

A review and new system for gun turrets/barbettes plus other ideas

Do you prefer this barbette system over the current one?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer this barbette system over the current one?

• Yeah
    • Nah
    • Need more information before deciding
  2. 2. Do you prefer the extended anchor points for superstructures and centerline barbettes over the current one?

• Yeah
    • Nah
  3. 3. Do you prefer having the barbettes split into centerline and side mounted?

• Yeah
    • Nah
  4. 4. Do you like the idea of stacking the barbettes

• Yeah
    • Nah
  5. 5. Do you like the idea of a armour viewer?

• Yeah
    • Nah
    • Yes, but I would much a rather a more comprehensive one
  6. 6. DO you like the echelon idea?

• Yeah
    • Nah
    • Neutral
    • Yes but it could be done better (please comment)

On 7/19/2020 at 10:22 AM, gamerfromspace said:

How about barrettes were generative, so you could change the height to anything you want within reason

Similar to another idea where someone suggested that the barbette would auto form once you have the acquired the desired placement of the turret. Both ideas streamline barbettes and turrets into one and are better, but I just figured this option would be easier to implement. 

• Like 1

I think barbette should auto form, after selecting higher turret and the size would depend on how many gun per turret.

Also I don't think UI wise there is a need to separate between side and centerline gun, they should be just automatically adjusted like the secondaries , if they can be mirrored and mirror is selected. If needed the turret can be snapped to "centerline guides/hardpoint". Mechanism already exists in secondaries. Ideally in mirror mode should also show "preview" of the gun placement of the other side. 

• Like 2

On 7/29/2020 at 10:05 PM, draconins said:

I think barbette should auto form, after selecting higher turret and the size would depend on how many gun per turret.

Also I don't think UI wise there is a need to separate between side and centerline gun, they should be just automatically adjusted like the secondaries , if they can be mirrored and mirror is selected. If needed the turret can be snapped to "centerline guides/hardpoint". Mechanism already exists in secondaries. Ideally in mirror mode should also show "preview" of the gun placement of the other side. 

This idea has already been mentioned and suggested earlier in the topic, and my thoughts on the idea are just one post above yours lol. 

As for the mirroring idea, very good I would support the implementation of that! 

I like this idea. Overall, I'm a big fan of less restrictive shipbuilding. A lot of seemingly ridiculous ideas - heavy guns on destroyers, multiple superfiring batteries, etc - weren't technically impossible, just incredibly stupid. They jacked up tonnage, were effectively useless, et ceterum. Have that represented in the game. Put battleship-caliber guns on a destroyer (a la Ambercrombie-class), just don't be surprised when you can't get above seven knots, and never hit anything. Players, if searching for effective designs, will then naturally self-select, so long as the appropriate/realistic reactions/punishments are in place for shoddy designs.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I had a new idea recently, since this whole proposal means that the devs have to throw out a lot of their work already done, I thought up of a way to keep some of it. when selecting triple turrets, you can choose between two variations of that triple turret, cramped style and normal style. Normal style is what this proposal already is where number of guns and gun size is what determines barbette and turret size. However you can also select a cramped style for triple turrets. What this means is that the turret will fit three guns for the same size as a normal twin gun setup (the barbette will be the same size the actual turret might be slightly larger bearly). However this cramped stye will come with drawbacks, those being that the guns cannot be individually elevated, (which accompanied with cramped spacing) means increased reload times compared to normal sized turrets. The cramped style will also have decreased accuracy as the blast from guns will affect the other barrels in the turret salvo, increasing salvo spread. This proposal came directly from the pennsylvania class turrets and US cruiser turrets from post-washington treaty.  

Fourteen inch forward turrets on USS Pennsylvania (BB-38) | Us battleships,  Navy ships, Uss pennsylvania

The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia: Northampton Class, U.S. Heavy Cruisers

this will only apply to triple turrets. Quads will have two options: 2 twin on same barbette (french style), or normal 4 gun turret (KGV style)

Edited by Whomst'd've