Game-Labs Forum

Save The Noobies From Utter Annihilation - A rookie features thread

These are features that I think could help fresh faced little rookie captains of Naval Action deal with the harsh reality of the seas.  Feel free to add any other possible rookie saving features below.

• Add the Tips and Tutorial menus as very visible pop up flashing icons on screen as default after game installation. Add an option under settings to remove them. 

• Should mention getting exp to gain ranks is based on damage done in battle under Tips.

• Under a time limit of 30 days rookies get free ships according to their rank up to 5th rates.

• The rookie free ships for sell for 0 reales. One random ship that fits their max crew with a 1hr cooldown at their nation’s capital port.  (Only for non hardcore nations; should be mentioned in the menu while choosing a nation)

• Under the same 30 day period free repairs are given through redeemables. Can’t be sold or traded. Add a mail notice when more free redeemables become available. 

• Add combat tips to the Tips Menu:

• Ship angling 

• Broadside fire while boarding

• Wind control

• Different amounts of crew damage by different types of guns

• Ships varied superior points of sail

• Add a small graph showing the points of sail for each ship under the ship stats menu or ship equipment menu

Edited by Never
  • Like 3

I came from another game that already taught me all of that that I played for three years I still play it on occasion.  How ever if you can get the basics of angling a ship to deflect shots its not really necessary.  Learning how to do all of that in game is all part of the process.  I honestly don't think that's necessary.  On a side note there a values in learning from getting absolutely rekt to start with.  What happened why did this happen how can I change this from happening again, how can I play better.  Simply put if a player learns from it then as I said all of that other stuff is not needed.  Combating a ship takes a lot of learning if someone is just starting out.  Getting Rekt is just again part of that process.  Look at the positives about it rather than the negatives.  Where a player should really start is in the PVE world to learn the mechanics and get in a few matches against AI ships.  That's education enough on the game. 

Edited by OldSaltyOne

25 minutes ago, OldSaltyOne said:

I came from another game that already taught me all of that that I played for three years I still play it on occasion.  How ever if you can get the basics of angling a ship to deflect shots its not really necessary.  Learning how to do all of that in game is all part of the process.  I honestly don't think that's necessary.  On a side note there a values in learning from getting absolutely rekt to start with.  What happened why did this happen how can I change this from happening again, how can I play better.  Simply put if a player learns from it then as I said all of that other stuff is not needed.  Combating a ship takes a lot of learning if someone is just starting out.  Getting Rekt is just again part of that process.  Look at the positives about it rather than the negatives.  Where a player should really start is in the PVE world to learn the mechanics and get in a few matches against AI ships.  That's education enough on the game. 

If it were enough, then we wouldn't have people quitting before they can sail a frigate now would we? There's nothing in the game that teaches angling of ships. It should not depend on a veteran telling a rookie that such a thing is possible. The fact that such a mechanic exists should be known from the first battle to any rookie, learning how to do it well is what should come from experience. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OldSaltyOne said:

In that game (I have a suspect about which it could be), when you were sunk did you loose the ship forever like in NA or did you just have to wait the end of the battle to jump in a brand new ship and go on? 

It makes quite a difference 

On PvE peace server we handle such lack of information issues by a lot of advices. This may happen to a lesser extent on PvP warserver. As far as "free ships" and "free repairs" for 30 days are concerned, I expect the awakening will just be harder after those 30 days when suddenly new players find themselves deprived of this prvilege and may not know yet how to take care of themselves, as they were occupied with other things during the first month. Like "grinding".

Edited by Cetric de Cornusiac

While a lot of your suggestions 'could' help new players you have to consider the changes that have already occurred towards this very subject. There used to be reinforcement zones around the starter areas to aid players that were attacked near the port, this was removed due to a few pvp seal clubbers who claimed that admiral ranked players were hiding in the areas. While I doubt these claims have any substance to them, the end result was that the reinforcement areas were removed and only the capital zone remains which is quite tiny and limits new players to having to sit and wait for an ai to sail up to them and pray that some loki rune does not jump in.  Best way so far to get new players to leave is that stupid loki rune.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Never said:

These are features that I think could help fresh faced little rookie captains of Naval Action deal with the harsh reality of the seas.  Feel free to add any other possible rookie saving features below.

• Add the Tips and Tutorial menus as very visible pop up flashing icons on screen as default after game installation. Add an option under settings to remove them. 

• Should mention getting exp to gain ranks is based on damage done in battle under Tips.

• Under a time limit of 30 days rookies get free ships according to their rank up to 5th rates.

• The rookie free ships for sell for 0 reales. One random ship that fits their max crew with a 1hr cooldown at their nation’s capital port.  (Only for non hardcore nations; should be mentioned in the menu while choosing a nation)

• Under the same 30 day period free repairs are given through redeemables. Can’t be sold or traded. Add a mail notice when more free redeemables become available. 

• Add combat tips to the Tips Menu:

• Ship angling 

• Broadside fire while boarding

• Wind control

• Different amounts of crew damage by different types of guns

• Ships varied superior points of sail

• Add a small graph showing the points of sail for each ship under the ship stats menu or ship equipment menu

I like this a lot....+1.