Game-Labs Forum

POTBS refugee...is this home?

Joe

I played POTBS since early Beta, loved the game. My favorite part was the port battles, loved the huge battles with tons of ships and got my 1st and 2nd rates into as many as I could (still love the Trinity!). Was not real fond of the one on one battles where the ship levels were vastly different or getting ganked by a 6 on 1.

My question is Hows the game so far? Yes I know it's early alpha but I'm curious what other POTBS players think. How do you progress do larger ships? How's the player base? The early POTBS players were fantastic with a lot of great sportsmanship and honor the later players seemed more like Charlie Mansons on boats.

I'm thinking the game is worth 40 bucks but what say you guys?

It has elements of POTBS in both design (from what we know) and gameplay, think POTBS slowed down with no skills, manual aiming, and manual sailing. It really captures you and gives you the same feeling of excitement in a large battle.

How the open world will compare is unknown as a whole, but if you liked POTBS there is a good chance you will like this game as long as you weren't a die hard fan of 'magic' skills.

• Like 1

Actually hated magic skills.....always wanted a personal real skills and ship based game. I'm ordering it now and I'm a bit excited. I played on Blackbeard, loved the ships portion but the Magic PVP shit drove me nuts.

Got access to this game around the same time as the eco patch on PotBS... havnt run that game since...

Currently this is just a combat arena game. You start out in a small ship and "lvl" by causing damage. But that is just the way it is now for testing, so you are forced to try all the ships out.

one thing we do have, is the ability to change the type of guns on our ship.

I was mainly playing Pirates for the eco game and I din't PVP much, but I love this game. Was in a 48 player game back i early january... looked amazing.

For me it is already money well spend.

The fighting is a lot better than in PotBS. Lot of things you have to take care of. But if you are a PotBS player you already know most of the basics. So you wont need much time to get into it. Overall I think it is great. Unless you are a diehard swashbuckling enthusiast this is pretty much home. Or at least will be. You ll have to do your own balistics form now on though :)

i was potbs from beta and i feel this game is going to finish it off i'm a big fleeter and i can't even fleet in potbs because it looks so crappy compaired to this. my name was tief n tote in potbs and have kepts the same name hear. already i have run into a bunch of old school potbs players

In discussion with another ex-player the other day, we did have this question:

Without cut shroud, how will attackers ever engage and catch people in the open world?

Now, we have not seen merchants yet, so do not know their speeds. But *many* of the Ship's this far essentially go the same speed - or have directional headings faster than others.

It is a curious thing, and i'm interested to see how the open world combat mechanics will work.

Without cut shroud, how will attackers ever engage and catch people in the open world?

Now, we have not seen merchants yet, so do not know their speeds. But *many* of the Ship's this far essentially go the same speed - or have directional headings faster than others.

It is a curious thing, and i'm interested to see how the open world combat mechanics will work.

Im not related to POTBS but was wondering the exact same thing :o

Such a true point. Chases will also be 100x longer and some boats, ie the Trincolamee known for its speed, will be almost impossible to catch.. unless you have a Trincolamee.. but then.. they..go the same speed? 

I have a feeling there will be a lot of ganking and running and fewer fair fights when people realize speed wins and boats are (apparently) not that easy to get. You get a winnable fight in fast boats - you fight. You get a impossible fight you just run and re-engage. Oh the QQ will be good.

• Like 1

Flip - we may need a duel. Maybe even 2 or 3 to 1 odds. The one in a larger ship, between 2-4 classes higher than the attackers. Attackers use chain, defender use heavy...

Maybe we find out sails are not so easy? Or perhaps we see the future of OS game play...

Flip - we may need a duel. Maybe even 2 or 3 to 1 odds. The one in a larger ship, between 2-4 classes higher than the attackers. Attackers use chain, defender use heavy...

Maybe we find out sails are not so easy? Or perhaps we see the future of OS game play...

Going for sails is definetly not very easy especially with the current repair mechanics where masts can spring back up and sails repair quickly. Your actually better off shooting heavy into sails right now and hoping for a mast down. If we simulate the eventual mechanic of masts not popping back up aka the defender does not use sail repairs I would like to test it. My only qualm right now is there is a large gap between ships so that the larger class can one shot the smaller. That said some snows vs a trinc or trincs vs a bellona in a gank situation where the bellona is adamant to survive and not suicide in could be a good test. That's if we can catch a bellona in a reasonable amount of time as the devs have mentioned wanting to have a escape mechanic similar to potbs where if no damage is done they can leave the instance.

Such a true point. Chases will also be 100x longer and some boats, ie the Trincolamee known for its speed, will be almost impossible to catch.. unless you have a Trincolamee.. but then.. they..go the same speed? 

I have a feeling there will be a lot of ganking and running and fewer fair fights when people realize speed wins and boats are (apparently) not that easy to get. You get a winnable fight in fast boats - you fight. You get a impossible fight you just run and re-engage. Oh the QQ will be good.

What do you mean, "fair fights"?  It's ridiculous to think that exists.  Now 'ganking' by exploitation of some game mechanic is a different story, but you mix the two together incorrectly.

Yes, if you have a fast ship then you can sometimes set the condition of a battle, whether you want to fight or run.  It will depend on the weather gage.  That's reality, nothing "unfair" about it. 

Liken it to WWI fighters. The SPAD and SE5a could outrun anything the Germans had, but the Germans could outturn the Entente fighters (except Sopwith Camel...).  So what should the Entente pilots do?  Turn fight and die?  Or use their speed for slashing attacks, extend beyond range, gain altitude and come back.  Was that unfair to decide to live?

Naval Action will need to factor in cargo effects.  If the ship is weighted down with all of this ammunition and booty (or merchant goods) then it will be slower in the water.  Ships of the same potential speed should be affected by what they carry.  Even if only by a slight margin, seamanship and a sliver of speed difference will mean you can catch up and have the opportunity to hit some canvas to slow them down a bit more.

Also different ships performed better or worse under different weather conditions.  I doubt this currently exists, but all things important to making this game more and more interesting.

• Like 2