Game-Labs Forum

Just a small question for devs/older players

Marquês do Bonfim

Question

Why does it feel like ship models back then were way bigger than right now? Is it a camera angle or were they bigger indeed? Right now, frigates are too small and closer to the waterline than they should be, same goes for a few corvettes and 7th rates, the privateer, lynx, Niagara and the Prince feels like they are almost sinking somethimes, they are too close to the waterline and their sizes are just too small, can someone make sense of this for me?

I kinda feel like they downsized the ship models, idk.

6 answers to this question

I remember thinking that a LONG time ago when they increased OW speed 20%....  it took a bit of getting used to seeing the ships not necessarily react according to the wave hitting them and vice versa...

Also, it seems to me that certain models sit a bit high/low in the water compared to others...

Herc sitting very high comes to mind.

I think it hard for me to distinguish now just because I'm so used to it all....

• Like 1

think its about the camera view distance which depends on the size of the ship you're sailing. Sailing a cutter next to a frigate the frigate looks waaaay bigger then it feels as if you're in the frigate itself

Well back when the biggest ships was the snow any thing bigger than that looked big.  I remember when they gave us the Bucc and Reno.  Reno I couldn't crew yet and well bucc I was able to take out and look at and than stored for many weeks/months until I could crew it. I had captured a few during that time of folks going out undercrewed in them.   Back than I would say every thing did look bigger cause I was in the smallest ship in most of the fights not the biggest lol

• Like 1

Yeah, but in that video the Surprise actually looks the exact/real size, comparing them to nowadays, the Surprise sometimes feels like a 6th rate ship, it's too small. I still don't know if it's just the camera angle or what, but it does somehow looks like the ships models were downsized a bit, idk why. It's weird. I always thought the ships were small compared to the old videos, I tried to play with the camera angle near the stern a few times but it doesn't change too much the size of the ship, just gives you a more close-up view of it, making it a bit more real-size model compared to the world/landscape and other ships around you, but still... SideStrafe doesn't look like he's playing with close-up cameras, it feels and looks like it's a default camera zoomed-out.

Like, take a look at the very beginning of the video, when he's sailing aside the Agammenon, the frigate does look like a big ship compared to the Aga, which is 2 times bigger, and then the Victory, which looks like 4 times bigger than the frigate. But it somehow feels like the frigate isn't a very small ship compared to the others. And if you see the Surprise near any 6th/7th rate ship, you can see that the frigate is even bigger than it looks.

Edited by Portuguese Privateer