Game-Labs Forum

Most famously used in the bombardment of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812 only 5 years after the last Battle of Copenhagen that saw deployment of the Christian VII that was recently added.

I think as it fits in the timeframe of NA, it should at least be considered. I also don't think there is a balance issue. The actual performance could remain the same ( only with much higher chance for a fire ) or there could alternatively also be a reskin of the Mortar Brig called HMS Terror / HMS Meteor with higher BR to compensate for potentially higher performance / buffs in damage.

Even if only the visuals would be added at some point, I think it would make for more interesting cinematics in port battles. Adding only higher fire chance seems reaonable, given the minor effect of fire ( unless used on purpose to fireship ) and the low chance of currently implemented mortar balls actually causing fire.

Edited by Sovereign

5 minutes ago, Serk said:

The Christian VII added to the game is the one launched in 1767, not 1807

It was launched in 1767 and destroyed in 1807 during the Battle of Copenhagen. :)

Also the most famous age of sail battle, the Battle of Trafalgar, was fought in 1805. Explosive shells were not invented in 1812 either but earlier than that. It was simply their first famous and well documented use in battle. It fits the timeframe very well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sovereign said:

Most famously used in the bombardment of Fort McHenry during the War of 1812 only 5 years after the last Battle of Copenhagen that saw deployment of the Christian VII that was recently added.

I think as it fits in the timeframe of NA, it should at least be considered. I also don't think there is a balance issue. The actual performance could remain the same ( only with much higher chance for a fire ) or there could alternatively also be a reskin of the Mortar Brig called HMS Terror / HMS Meteor with higher BR to compensate for potentially higher performance / buffs in damage.

Even if only the visuals would be added at some point, I think it would make for more interesting cinematics in port battles. Adding only higher fire chance seems reaonable, given the minor effect of fire ( unless used on purpose to fireship ) and the low chance of currently implemented mortar balls actually causing fire.

All Bomb ships, the Mortar brig in game, fired explosive rounds. Put another way that is the ammo that mortars used - dropping exploding shells into the forts. What we don't have in the game are the graphic effects of these shells. As far as the HMS Terror there were several with the last built in 1813 and then lost on Franklin's Arctic expedition. An earlier Terror participated in the 1801 Battle of Copenhagen. Both ships were armed with 2 mortars a 13" and a 10". I believe we have the 13" in the game. They were larger than the brig in game but still only armed with a few 6 lb guns in addition to the mortars. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

What we don't have in the game are the graphic effects of these shells.

It is all that I am asking for... and maybe some increased fire chance. Even if it is only a downsized version of the explosion after fireshock, to save development time.

• Like 1