Game-Labs Forum

Fix infinite chain on fleet ships, it is bullshit

19 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

I don't know about you but my ships are built to fight, NOT to run from battle.

Then you must not do much fighting.  I don't really see you in combat news come to think of it.  A smart captain is built for both situations.  

====

Fleet ships don't particularly bother me, except perhaps when a player has 3 redeemable OP P2W ships in fleet.  I don't use them because I perceive them to be a crutch.  Others are free to do as they wish.  HOWEVER if chain shot being limited and repairs not being limited makes zero absolute sense to me.  I run out of chain after a couple broadsides but players can magically regrow masts every 12 mins?  I much preferred the old system of unlimited chain and only 1 sail/1hull repair in battle.  Running in battle now requires zero skill, just a slightly faster ship and more repairs.  I do like the reduced effectiveness of chain though at range now, this seems more accurate.  

KEEP the chain damage dropping off at distance
BRING BACK unlimited chain
LIMIT the amount of repairs one can use in battle.

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, NethrosDefectus said:

I don't know about you but my ships are built to fight, NOT to run from battle.

Teak/Wo Endy (since we're using Endy for a lot of these examples) with navy hull, copper, and art of shiphandling should outrun most AI fleetships in OW if you don't want to fight them. And it should be able to fight any reasonable fight. Emphasis on reasonable.  I don't know why you'd want to try to fight a 4v1 if the thought of being chained by 4 ships at once bothers you. 

So you can be Mr. "I build myships to fight not run" and have a "fighting built" ship and sink a lot because you are forced to take almost every battle you find (because you can't outrun them), or you can do like the other 90% of PvP hunters and sail a ship thats teak/wo, teak/teak, teak/fir, or similar with speedmods and choose your battles.

Now I believe we were discussing chainshot on AI, not the finer points of ship selection for PvPing. Why, again, would you expect to be able to win or escape a 4v1 where every opponent is in the same size ship that you are in, and are all in chain range at the start of the fight? (your scenario as described in "Dave" vs "Bruce")  The only logical course of action in that scenario is to not get tagged in the first place (or do get tagged and hope the player is a noob that you can sink really quickly and get some marks from). If you're sailing something thats not build like a floating brick, that shouldn't be a problem. What outcome would occur if the AI had no chain? You'd sink the player and then leave. Or just be able to chain/demast your way out of the situation. Right?

Edited by William Death
spelling

4 minutes ago, Christendom said:

Fleet ships don't particularly bother me, except perhaps when a player has 3 redeemable OP P2W ships in fleet.  I don't use them because I perceive them to be a crutch.  Others are free to do as they wish.  HOWEVER if chain shot being limited and repairs not being limited makes zero absolute sense to me.  I run out of chain after a couple broadsides but players can magically regrow masts every 12 mins?  I much preferred the old system of unlimited chain and only 1 sail/1hull repair in battle.  Running in battle now requires zero skill, just a slightly faster ship and more repairs.  I do like the reduced effectiveness of chain though at range now, this seems more accurate.  

KEEP the chain damage dropping off at distance
BRING BACK unlimited chain
LIMIT the amount of repairs one can use in battle.

Basically this. Except I run fleetships sometimes to carry extra repairs. "Repair Buckets" I call them. Before the rum days they were also "Crew Buckets" that I could sail up to and replenish my crew from. 

1-2 repairs of each type and unlimited chainshot that does damage the same way it does now would be great. It wouldn't be hard to implement and would make combat a lot more enjoyable for both sides, I think.

Currently if you can survive 4 chainshot volleys from the fastest ship and have enough sail repairs, you can probably get away or run out the clock. Thus uneven fights are encouraged when you're trying to catch a faster enemy because they can repair sails/masts every 12 minutes and you can only chain 4 broadsides. The apparent solution for most players is to bring along friends so that they have more chainshot to throw. Thus the "Revenge Fleet" squad assembles to go split 11 PvP marks 8 different ways over a 1 hour chase. #content ;)