Game-Labs Forum

Hidden mechanics and weapon damage degradation

pandakraut

On 8/15/2019 at 1:00 AM, SteMat said:

This Random value is linear distribution (=one dice roll) or Gaussian distribution (=2 dices rolls)?

This is getting a bit beyond me, but what the game appears to be doing is generating 1024 random values between 0 and 1. Then it randomly chooses one of those values and applies it in the following calculation. min + randomValue * (max - min). Hopefully that helps?

• 10 months later...

I used the data in the files you included in the original post for this thread in my analyses.  However, if I read some of the subsequent posts correctly, some of that data may have been in error or changed.  What, if any, adjustments do I need to make to my analyses?

Also, do you have a new version of the size degradation file I could get?

7 hours ago, Jorlaan said:

Excellent work, good bit of visual info.

Now we just need one for the J&P mod 😛.

While not the full curves this is the average damage across 5 points for artillery in the mod. There tend to be small changes each patch so it's much more work to keep any analysis up to date there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/50oqbm52hc7zyn1/RebalanceArtilleryComparison.png?dl=0

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

pandakraut,

I know this is an old thread, but it seems the right one to find the answer I am looking for. Specfically, does the higher fire rate of the Springfield M1855 make up for the its decreased accuracy  as compared to a weapon with a lower fire rate, lesser damage, but higher accuracy.

For example, how does the Spring M1855 compare with the Mississippi rifle? The springfield shoots faster with more damage, but with with less accuracy as compared to the Mississippi Rifle. 

this is one thing I can't seem to find any where, as the damage curves etc don't include damage/time. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fatehunter said:

For example, how does the Spring M1855 compare with the Mississippi rifle? The springfield shoots faster with more damage, but with with less accuracy as compared to the Mississippi Rifle. 

Are you asking about the weapons in the J&P mod or in the base game?

I generally only put together average damage spreadsheets as I don't think that factoring reload rate yields useful data. It tends to make high fire rate weapons look far better than low fire rate weapons, but in many situations you only really care about the first volley or two of damage rather than damage across 10+ volleys. So when evaluating I'll compare average damage(damage range determined by base damage and acurracy low and accuracy high * the range damage multiplier) and the reload rate.

Higher reload rate is better, but I'll generally value higher average damage. This has as much to do with playstyle as anything else, optimally I'm hitting a single enemy unit with multiple of my own, which will relatively quickly rout and drive off the enemy unit. So higher damage to spike the enemy morale matters more than being able to get off an extra volley after firing multiple times.

Thanks Panda,

Good explanation. I am talking about the J & P mod (the only thing I play). For further clarification,  I get the accuracy and reload information from the tooltips box that opens when hovering over the weapons. 

There the stock Springfield M1855 shows  lower accuracy than the Mississippi. For example at long range, the M1855 shows 30% vs the Mississippi at 47%. the basic question is whether I should equip my early campaign troops with the Springfield vs the Mississippi if I have sufficient of either. I getting the idea it should be the Springfield, and I'm starting to field units of the same strength with the two different weapons to see how it plays out in actual battles. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fatehunter said:

Thanks Panda,

Good explanation. I am talking about the J & P mod (the only thing I play). For further clarification,  I get the accuracy and reload information from the tooltips box that opens when hovering over the weapons. 

There the stock Springfield M1855 shows  lower accuracy than the Mississippi. For example at long range, the M1855 shows 30% vs the Mississippi at 47%. the basic question is whether I should equip my early campaign troops with the Springfield vs the Mississippi if I have sufficient of either. I getting the idea it should be the Springfield, and I'm starting to field units of the same strength with the two different weapons to see how it plays out in actual battles. 

Personally I'd go with the Mississippi. The reload speed is nice, but won't make up for the accuracy difference at long ranges. I'd rather hit harder than slightly more often.

Always best to run your own tests though. Depending on playstyle the faster reload time may be worthwhile for you. Just try to make sure the units you are comparing are in combat a roughly equivalent period of time.

For the J&P mod there is a Google spreadsheet on the discord which has some useful average damage graphs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1E5ZFCAHEY8EyBkEkWIHOfdFlwaYpSDVA00w9a71jq1c/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by pandakraut

• 2 months later...