Game-Labs Forum

Configuring your ship

In racing sims there is often a whole series of screens where you can change every little detail of your car. I admit I don't know much about sails and sailing (or cars for that matter), but i would love to have something like that. If you read O'Brien you will find numerous sections discussing various changes to ships, in dock or at sea. I wish for both, available in the appropriate place.

I think each ship should have a default state, for those of us less knowledgeable, but be configurable for those who know more, or are willing to learn. Rewards, of course, would be better speed, or maneuverability, but there would be risks as well - i.e. fly too much canvas and you could loose a mast (or part thereof -i would love to be able to shoot the top of the enemy's mast off!), or you might loose speed due to your ship being pressed down rather than forward.

Also, rather than having mast repair simply restore the original state of the ship, i think jury rigging would be a preferable solution as long as the ship is in combat. Replacing the mast should have to be done once the danger has passed, and should take considerably longer!

Also once we have crew management (that will be in, right?) Being able to transfer men from, say, the guns to the sails or vice versa, or deciding where to get enough men to man the pumps would be a fun set of decisions.

Thoughts?

I'm aiming for something much more detailed that what is currently in the game (which I have played).  Things like mast rake (or is that simply built in to the ship?) various possible solutions for the rigging, etc.

I'm all for more Demasting, i just watched 1951 hornblower and all that guy did was demast hahah.