Game-Labs Forum

Name our ship

I think would be nice if we could name our ship(s), if we wish so. A named ship is my ship, a generic ship not: it’s just a wooden piece that can eventually sail with me...

I know that some ships has already a name (see Wasa for exemple), but when i see a battle log in which 20 ships in each side is named “Wasa”, i can think that “wasa” could be a class. So IMO the “class wasa” can stay but also beside the name that the player gives her.

So: Rank 3–> Class Wasa—>nameship and this should be valid for all ships ingame: if i sail with a Lynx: i have a Rank 7, Lynx as kind of ship, “Swordfish” is the name i gave her.

Edited by blubasso
  • Like 7

On 2/1/2018 at 7:48 AM, Dokit said:

Would be nice but it is not useful, unfortunantly(

Would be very useful:

I set sail on my brand new Uberfrigat, named Boaty McBoatface. Along comes an enemy, we fight and "Oh, No!" Boaty is captured. 

Fast forward a week: I am sailing around on my NPC-provided shabby brig and lo and behold, I see Boaty sailing by! I must win her back!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CaptainSparckles said:

It should be a good idea , when you craft your ship , they propose you a various list of names . Then you chose and you can see your ship name in the back .

A list of possible names it’s a valid help, but also a blank stripe in which we could rename our own brand new name.

But a name, not something like “blubasso068”, “%Hnfirbstwm879”, “Isoroku Yamamoto”, “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa”, “Asdasdasdasd” and so on...

Edited by blubasso

On 2/1/2018 at 7:48 AM, Dokit said:

Would be nice but it is not useful, unfortunantly(

I disagree, it has its usefulness, if I have 3 trincs for example with different fits I can remember what each one is if I can name the ship.  Right now if have to inspect each one.

• Like 1

While it would be awesome to be able to make our ship, it would still be great if names were assigned randomly based on historcal ship names. Duplicates when they happened would not be a big deal.

My opinion is that naming ships would be worth the additional database work, even if it was a paid feature. I'm pretty sure it would be successful.

43 minutes ago, Farrago said:

While it would be awesome to be able to make our ship, it would still be great if names were assigned randomly based on historcal ship names. Duplicates when they happened would not be a big deal.

My opinion is that naming ships would be worth the additional database work, even if it was a paid feature. I'm pretty sure it would be successful.

Well: Devs must copy a huge list of historical ship’s names, create another huge one for additional non-historical but ok for the time names, place them in a folder then add in the game, hoping that will be more names as ships. A possible solution could be when a named ship sinks, the name return free for the first ship available. It will be a big work because Devs will make research on which names were available at those times (possibly divide them per nationality because a Spanish ship will never be called Queen Victoria, for exemple... ;) ). All those are labour’s hours and should be paid with a DLC. Usually i am not a big fan of DLCs, but for cosmetic purposes yes: i will pay for that. :)

Edited by blubasso