Game-Labs Forum

Weather bulletins

Yep there are storms, it would be nice to have some idea of what the weather is while in port, including wind direction.  Perhaps turn port into an OW instance, where you are looking out from the admiralty house from the balcony.  Also permitting the use of the spyglass so you can see what ships/players are moving in and out the harbour or parked outside wating to gank :)

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Who says there aren't storms in Naval Action?  :) This was from a daring storm raid and run from KPR the other night, posted by @koiz in the screenshots section. The ships pursuing us are visible on the horizon, backlit from the lightning. It was incredibly impressive to see because in the moments between lightning they were invisible through the rain and clouds:

na_light.png.d510c33bad810c159ae21ddfca2

But only ow :(

• Like 1

The admin said he removed storms from battles because of people complaining about not being able to hit anything.

I also think it is a bit unrealistic, as two ships wouldnt DARE open their gun ports in heavy seas and try and fire at another ship, they would have no chance at hitting.  And just increase the risk to their own ship.   They would just weather out the storm and wait till calmer weather to engage their enemy. 

And honestly you can tell the weather pretty easily.  I just pop out of port for a second, look at the sky and the sea.  If it has white caps on the waves, I know a storm is coming, if it is calm looking, I know it is not going to be stormy for a while. 

Little secret about this game, ADMIN has modeled in the wave effects of weather. 

20 minutes ago, Odol said:

The admin said he removed storms from battles because of people complaining about not being able to hit anything.

I also think it is a bit unrealistic, as two ships wouldnt DARE open their gun ports in heavy seas and try and fire at another ship, they would have no chance at hitting.  And just increase the risk to their own ship.   They would just weather out the storm and wait till calmer weather to engage their enemy. 

And honestly you can tell the weather pretty easily.  I just pop out of port for a second, look at the sky and the sea.  If it has white caps on the waves, I know a storm is coming, if it is calm looking, I know it is not going to be stormy for a while. 

Little secret about this game, ADMIN has modeled in the wave effects of weather. 

Actually heavy weather didn't stop battles. A little reading about a stormy battle involving the RL HMS Indefatigable vs. a French 74 (which could not open her lower deck gun ports) 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_of_13_January_1797

While wave effect are modeled in game, wind effects are not. :(

Edited by DeRuyter

30 minutes ago, Odol said:

Well, if you are in the middle of a storm, simply you don’t search for battles. Why you should? The fun should be to win the battle against the storm, don’t sink or don’t have your ship demasted, but we should have stoms implemented...

But my first question was another

Edited by blubasso
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Coraline Vodka said:

Occasionally a battle will have storms in them

As far as I know the devs don‘t want to implement storms into battle instances, because the alteration of waves is too complicated with the actual coding of the game:

Stormy battles with high tides would only be possible, if every battle on the server had this setting. To change it back to normal the server would need a shut down and restart.

SAD!

Edited by Navalus Magnus

1 minute ago, Navalus Magnus said:

As far as I know the devs don‘t want to implement storms into battle instances, because the alteration of waves is too complicated with the actual coding of the game:

Stormy battles with high tides would only be possible, if every battle on the server had this setting. To change it back to normal the server would need a shut down and restart.

SAD!

Yes i read it me too. But “Chapter storm” is off and we won’t have it. We have to deal with this. My question was about weather report...