Game-Labs Forum

UG- Civil War 3..??

OnTheHouse

Question

I learned via YTube that GameLabs creator is asking for ideas from the public what they would like to see in the next release, beit American Revolution or Napoleon....

I have some thoughts I'd like to pass on to the creator (darth)....

Can someone point me in the direction to have this discussion pls, Thank You Kindly

9 answers to this question

I would love to see the Revolution, if organization was knocked down to battalion, brigade, division with division being the highest I think it could work well (Same for Napoleonic). I think this way, you could get that "espirit de corps" feel of seeing say the Royal Welch Fusiliers or the 1st Delaware on the field. Fife and drum would need to be added too but it would be cool to do it correctly, not like in total war as in they play the same song over and over, I mean have it only play while the men are marching or advancing, not just constantly during the fight. Also, in addition to ammo wagons, why not be able to set up brigade surgeons to slowly heal regiments, but have it where they cant go back to full strength. Also I'm a history major with a focus on American and European history from the Revolution through the civil war, so if you need any help with whichever title you choose, I'm happy to help.

• Like 2

Revolution is way too small in scale... a mere skirmish.. there are battles in Napoleonic period where losses were 5x higher than what losses were during entire war for independence.. Its nowhere in scale to Civil war...  Even biggest battles during war for independence had just slightly over 1000 casualties.. British for example lost approximately 7000 men between 1776-1783

• Like 1

On 11/20/2017 at 8:27 AM, JaM said:

Revolution is way too small in scale... a mere skirmish.. there are battles in Napoleonic period where losses were 5x higher than what losses were during entire war for independence.. Its nowhere in scale to Civil war...  Even biggest battles during war for independence had just slightly over 1000 casualties.. British for example lost approximately 7000 men between 1776-1783

Yes the battles and casualties would be smaller, but like jekct1212 said, we would use a smaller base unit size. I think regimental scaled, instead of brigade scale like for UGCW, would be appropriate. 

Maybe, but  casualties in those battles were typically in hundreds..  scale wise, it was quite insignificant.. there were no big battles during war for Independence, and even those largest, were actually quite small.. at Saratoga? 7000 British fighting 9000 American with 400 casualties?

even if scale was smaller, large majorities of battles would have to be fought with forces just few regiments big.. you could pretty much forget about more than 10 units per side, because even if regiment was the smallest unit, typically single regiment had at least 1000men (500 per battalion), so even at Saratoga, you would have practically  6 British regiments fighting  9 American... (or 12 British battalions fighting 18 American)..

Anyway, problem is the scale, as i said before, number of large battles (at least as big as Saratoga) was very small in entire War for Independence.. such campaign would be nowhere near grand scale current Civil War campaign has... Which is why i think Napoleonic theme is a lot better option, with huge timeline they can cover.. and technically, they could even release War for Independence DLC with same assets from Napoleonic game quite easily.. but you cannot make it other way around, because War for Independence for example had very limited role of Cavalry or artillery, which was quite dominant in Napoleonic times...

What shocked me actually was looking at army battle orders from multiple battles for American Independence and seeing that typical brigade on both sides was 500-600 men strong, usually composed of 4-6 regiments, which gives about 100 men per regiment.. 500-600 men is actually under strength Napoleonic battalion, which was theoretically 800-1000men strong, but due to campaign losses typical strength was around 500 men, with single Brigade usually having 4-6 such battalions (so at least 2000men)

All I'm saying is I hope to get picked for the beta for the next game, simply waiting for the release or even minor footage was hard on me when I heard about a sequel to UGG.

And to JaM, i like your thinking on how a Nap wars should be released followed by American Revolution, it makes sense, and hey you could even add the war of 1812 in there if you wanted

• Like 1