Game-Labs Forum

House rules discussion

Hethwill

Naval Action gives us a setting, a universe in which we can play a character. It also gives us the rulebook, way to solve interaction. Being sandbox means that anything beyond the "starting point" is not written, so stories can unfold and, given quality, could become canon. This is not uncommon in many game universes alas usually fictional setups like Battletech or Warhammer, where special community events actually are used by the designers to mold the lore, but I digress as Naval Action is very much based in History, but...

... we are not playing to reenact History, right ? We are playing to re-interpret it by correct usage of the Lore and Rulebook, meaning Age of Sail in the West Indies, Spanish Main and Independent southernmost 13 Colonies and use the game mechanics as much as possible to make a credible gameplay.

What house rules do you setup to make your sea rover gameplay pleasing and as authentic as possible ?

As an example, when I play Pirate I do set the aim for the share per crewman. So the more prizes with the less crew as possible makes my character a most successful captain, whereas very little coin makes me a lousy one.

As a rule of thumb, I set my own baseline at 1000 Gold per crew per cruise ( from departure from port to next return to port ). Anything below is a poor performance.

I have other own rules but would like to hear from yours. 

• Like 1

Well, about 18 months ago i set out on a quest to create a certain reputation for myself. 

I wanted (And always did) to be recognized as a most honourable and noble Captain. To achieve this a few guidelines were made; 
1. Traders = Off Limits.
2. Low ranking players = Off Limits. 
3. Ships smaller than my own = Off Limits.
4. If someone attacks me, fights well and acts honourably, i will not sink/capture them. 
5. If i'm engaged with someone and notices that they, to be blunt, are bad at the game, i will immobilize them in one way or another and then give them some advice and let them go. 

At first this worked well, i only had good fights and i had plenty of them. 
However since then the game has changed and now i can spend 10 hours in-game without a single good fight. If i'm lucky enough to find 2 or 3 players in similar ships i'll still be called a ganker. Doesn't matter what you do really, if you win, your a ganker (Even if you were outgunned and outnumbered). 

In my eyes, my play-style provided people with good fights and lots of room to become better players. I provided nice content for alot of people without being unfair to the new players and the traders. 
Unfortunately my play-style is now dead, its not worth the time and effort anymore because you are punished for playing this way. 

And while many say to me; "Tommy, Legends will be perfect for you, only fair fights!!". I have to say this, i hate the thought of Legends. NA is awesome because of the OW setting, the fact that i don't know what i will find when venturing out into the OW is so cool. Fights always are different from the last one. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Skully said:

Being called a scum at the end of the day means a job well done. :D

Surely tells me nothing about how you setup your playstyle and personal guidelines other than what we know, kill, maim, burn, by whatever means necessary :)

Shelby up there goes out on cruise with a mission. We can trace some real life Royal Navy captains to have similar stances during their careers. Even US captains.

Tracing a comparison from his playstyle to historical events the only major difference is that those captains did what they did for their Nation prestige.

In the case of Shelby it will be mostly in his own namesake and community group in extension.

If we are talking mission, then the mission is creating stories with as many players involved as possible.

On 9/10/2016 at 5:00 PM, TommyShelby said:

500k for Fuzzhead The Bearded! 

750k if captured! 

Good luck Captains! :) 

With a certain captain rallying the British defenses. To bring about:

• Like 2

Yes, you are correct :) The house rules are part of the character guidelines.

How does a Pirate pirate falls into a "naval supremacy" situation, as it is where the story starts, as opposed to the robber-at-sea credible approach !? We may assume his story to be under "private commission" ? 

I never claimed to be robber-at-sea, but simply took the role of Pirate as it was provided by the game.

I do however still claim the same name as opposed to some other true Pirates. ;)

• Like 1

I remember that topic :) was a good one.

Truth is, same with Shelby up there. He does act as a Navy captain searching for glory and fame, no matter the game nation choice, even if flying the black. The playstyle is entirely the "romantic" master and commander archetype.

The guidelines we set define the character we play. Obviously a national rover is a privateer, alas Pirate, well, is a proper independent.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My playstyle as pirate? Simple, only sail 7/6th rate (mostly a Snow/Privateer) bought in shop from NPC, Fir, Teak or Bermuda with Crew Space (pirates was overcrewed on their ships hyistorically speaking and it don't cost me a million) fitted for cannon and boarding. And i operate from Freetowns, chasing players traders and flee against warships.
And sometimes, i sail back to Mortimer to sell goods i stole (only things of value), fight a bit on Frigate with clan mates and sail again in another freetown to harass another nation...
I don't search best PvP kills or something like that, i just want to be a pain for Nats! :D

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Skully said:

Let me help you there Nick. :)

This is on PvE server, now, only for the story (TP's issues)... I mainly play on PvP EU, but thanks to bring that here! :) BTW, the Snow stay my love, to sail... (Prince de Neufchatel seems to be a good ship, too, but don't say it to my Snow, he'll be jealous)

Edited by Nick the cursed
  • Like 3