Game-Labs Forum

Double shot overhaul  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want the double shot overhaul of this post?

• Yes
    • No (Specify the motivation with a comment)

Making the double shot more realistic by increasing the damage of 50%, and reducing penetration and range of 50% compared to the single shot, and making unlimited ammunition as it was in the past, this would make the double shot more strategic because it could only be used at very close range and would be useless over 50 meters, but it could be devastating and have a great impact on the battle if used at the right time, and would make the use of woods like fir to build a combat ship a more risky choice, and would favor the use of heavier woods for combat ships.

Edited by Jay Gatsby
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jay Gatsby said:

Making the double shot more realistic by increasing the damage of 50%, and reducing penetration of 50% compared to the single shot, and making unlimited ammunition as it was in the past, this would make the double shot more strategic because it could only be used at very close range, but it could be devastating and have a great impact on the battle if used at the right time, and would make the use of woods like fir to build a combat ship a more risky choice, and would favor the use of heavier woods for combat ships

No, unless you remove carronades altogether...

No. There are alot of things I disagree with ingame when it come to cannons damage, penetration and mast thicknesses. It might be nice to have doubles damage increase and small bit and limit penetration to 50m ranges like you said but if they were to do changes like that carros would need a rebalance/fix. Carros do need a range buff by maybe 20-50% imo. Charged shot should be removed then because guns would explode with to much charge. I guess if you used double there could be a possibility to burst the gun and loose a cannon to make it risk vs reward if the damage was high :) 

• Like 1

On Double Ball

In practice, the captain would instruct a smaller charge than normal for the fear of breaching the barrel. They were only used at “Pistol Length” so Boarding actions or very close indeed (ref The Nile). I have many accounts of Double and Triple Ball use in action with a reduced charge in all cases. If you are having trouble sleeping read the link below.

https://archive.org/stream/bub_gb_PK50sbOOfjUC#page/n89/mode/2up

Page77 to start. The next is “How Long is Effective Pistol Length...?”

Flintlock Effective Pistol Range

Assuming if the barrel was rifled you are looking at shot groupings of some 50 yards (46m). The effective range is Arm’s length to 100 yards (91m). How lethal at 100 yards, I was told it would be unpleasant getting hit but probably wouldn’t kill you. https://royalarmouries.org/leeds/

I’m not testing that particular game, but at 45m it’s classed a kill shot.   

So, I’m thinking Buff the Penetration value up to 50m, and reduce the value at 100m by 25% and so on. Not sure but thinking also having the risk of fire also buffed when using Double Shot. Not sure on this. This percentage increase Buff is large but it shows how it should or was used. Damage to remain the same imho.

You fire at 100m or over the only thing you’ll kill is a seagull…

On Double Charge

Similar in subject area and think worth mentioning, I would like to see Double Charge completely dropped apart from Tower or Fort Instillations.  I searched for the Double Charge (or Long Charge), and I can only find the 64 pounders for coastal defense from a very long barrel. Nothing from onboard ship. It seems Captain's in the age of sail lived in fear of an onboard fire from a breach.   

If anybody has a proper reference to "Long Charge" please can you let me know. I'd like to know where @admin got the idea from. The Captain's fear of fire he thought was very real. I've boat loads of warnings and they never used it. I'm guessing here but maybe the mistrust of how the barrels were cast in that period who knows. A Captain just wouldn't do it. The Upsides are so small compared to explaining ones’ action in a Court Marshall...   

Idea: Standard Iron Ball or Expensive Lead Balls…?

Have a look at page 72 Heavy Compound Shot sorry.

A while back, a few senior players looked at ammunition and limits. I’m not suggesting anything as deep. New resource LEAD. Craft into Lead Cannon Balls. The Balls must be expensive to make also a PERK like a [Pellew] mechanic will allow you to use what you carry on board ship.

Using Lead Balls over Iron gives better penetration and better accuracy over distance (while using the same charge), 15% suggested buff. So, a double buff when used with Long Cannons perhaps?

OFFSET, they are HEAVY so carrying x-amount would be impossible. Equates to the Double Ball/Change loadout now.

@Jay Gatsby

Apologies for straying slightly off topic but great post thanks.

Norfolk

Edited by Norfolk nChance
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Captain Lust said:

No, unless you remove carronades altogether...

The game must be realistic and I see no problem in this, then the carronades are effective up to 250 meters, the double shot would be useless at distances over 50 meters

6 minutes ago, Jay Gatsby said:

The game must be realistic

No, it must be balanced first and foremost. Realism is important but should always come after balance to make the game worth playing. Since we got endless destroyed masts standing up again and crew men raised from the dead by the  hundreds, the realism argument is out of the window anyways...

Edited by Captain Lust

9 minutes ago, Captain Lust said:

No, it must be balanced first and foremost. Realism is important but should always come after balance to make the game worth playing.

The game would still be balanced because the double shot would be almost useless if not against ships built in fir, and would make the double shot a strategic choice for raking the stern, and would be easy to bounce

Edited by Jay Gatsby