Game-Labs Forum

Legendary CSA campaign

Col_Kelly

Hi Kelly, i have started a new CSA campaign. This topic is most helpful, thank you for the outstanding work. Your tactic at Shiloh is magnificent, it worked like a charm. I messed up a bit with the reinforcements coming but still managed to get my losses around 10.000 while the Union lost 26.000.

What would your advise be concerning buying with your points? I focussed on arms up to Shiloh, i can still go for weapons or cash/manpower. Manpower is not an issue atm i see.

Thanks again.

On 1/1/2018 at 5:32 AM, Mukremin said:

At Antietam now, i have 64.000 men against Union army of 86.000. Any tips? :D

IIRC Kelly actually skipped (intentionally withdrew from the map as soon as the battle started) Antietam and took a loss there. Apparently on Legendary it the union is absurdly strong and isn't worth the losses.

Antietam is one of my favorite battles so far. I cheese the battle a little and have some 2500 strong divisions with farmer muskets and some cheap howitzers sitting on the bridges, so when the union spawns and tries to rush it turns into a bloodbath. What have you tried so far?

4 hours ago, Meagre Heart said:

IIRC Kelly actually skipped (intentionally withdrew from the map as soon as the battle started) Antietam and took a loss there. Apparently on Legendary it the union is absurdly strong and isn't worth the losses.

Antietam is one of my favorite battles so far. I cheese the battle a little and have some 2500 strong divisions with farmer muskets and some cheap howitzers sitting on the bridges, so when the union spawns and tries to rush it turns into a bloodbath. What have you tried so far?

i put 2 brigades with longer range rifles in the woods near the hill. I flanked the Union from there as soon as they went for the woods around the church. I held the line, after i got my first reinforcements i flanked them and retreated back when the Union got fresh troops. I put 2 artillery batteries and 3 brigades at the bridge and completely routed the enemy there. I had to retreat back from the bridges because the Union had more troops. I surrounded the Union troops in the north but fought a separate battle around the town. See picture below, still suffered heavy casualties.

antie.jpg

1 hour ago, Col_Kelly said:

Not just yet but I've got a surprise for y'all.

haha you did replay it? Good one mate, it went well until the reinforcements from the North. That flank looked fragile but guess it was your tactic to retreat in a good order up towards the woods. Final casualty figures of my Antietam almost look the same as yours. I am at Washington now.. Cant wait to watch your take on of Washington.

It was fragile but I couldn't do much else but holding. Despite the fact that I destroyed almost 80% of the 1st wave by encircling it the AI still had the number and veterancy to keep coming at me while pinning me down in other parts of the line. This is why I hate this battle, it forces you into static defense yet you don't have any fortifications and the numbers are really disfavorable.

• 3 weeks later...

Early on I prefer to place my 2 star brigades on the flanks whenever I can : less damage taken, more damage given. That's why it's important to always bring at least two rookie brigades in every fight so they can act as tanks for your entire army. It's also helpful to constantly estimate the range of enemy brigade and place yourself accordingly to avoid their fire.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

Early on I prefer to place my 2 star brigades on the flanks whenever I can : less damage taken, more damage given. That's why it's important to always bring at least two rookie brigades in every fight so they can act as tanks for your entire army. It's also helpful to constantly estimate the range of enemy brigade and place yourself accordingly to avoid their fire.

what if you take casualties and need to refill your brigade, mix of rookie and veterans? 1000 veterans cost nearly 30.000 dollars along with Enfield 53S... I have trouble with Cross Keys, i suffered 5000 casualties and killed 19000 Union... Going to retry.

Apart from a few exceptions I never spend more than 10k $ on the replenishment of one brigade. It's not the end of the wolrd to lose a star 'except for arty arguably), the unit's global stats still improve overtime. Don't be afraid to use rookies.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

Apart from a few exceptions I never spend more than 10k $ on the replenishment of one brigade.

I arrived at the same conclusion concerning costs of replenishment.

I also keep in mind (for the Union on Legendary at least) that, in general, it costs me 20,000 for a 2,000 man brigade with a new major. Knowing how much a basic recruit unit costs helps me a great deal when I am trying to determine if I will expand my army and how much it will cost to do so.

I also only give good rifles to 2 star units and muskets to one star or below; unless I receive better weapons after a battle and that is very seldom.

With such rules of thumb you can look at your money, recruits and army and have a pretty good idea what is doable for reinforcement.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Col_Kelly i am like you playing Legendary CSA campaign, i am at Antietam now and face 100k+ Union force while i have 60.000 men. I have a question before i go to battle, i can deploy 20 brigades on the left flank, i deployed 24.. so what happens with the other 4? do i get them as reinforcements later on or they don't get on the field during the battle? If that is the case i will have to switch some brigades to the other cores.

2 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

Very nicely done, looks much better than what I've got. Would be interesting to know if in such context Antietam is worth fighting campaign wise

I cant remember any other battle like this... the amount of recruits has dropped from 85k to 57k now after Corinth.. so it must be worth a bit

4 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

New video is here. Enjoy lads.

Another great victory, i like the new style to your video :) BTW, your total number of troops is below 50.000. Is that enough for the coming campaign battles? I am around the same number and i have yet to fight Stones River, i am worried that i don't have sufficient numbers.