Game-Labs Forum

Day One Victory: Cold Harbor!

Whoa! It was costly, but I actually achieved a first phase victory at Cold Harbor, on Brigadier General difficulty. I only lost 5k men and one officer (RIP James Longstreet. I'll always remember you ;(  ). So is this, like, an amazing achievement? Or is getting a first phase victory a normal thing?

Edited by Albert Sidney Johnston

45 minutes ago, Albert Sidney Johnston said:

Whoa! It was costly, but I actually achieved a day one victory at Cold Harbor, on Brigadier General difficulty. I only lost 5k men and one officer (RIP James Longstreet. I'll always remember you ;(  ). So is this, like, an amazing achievement? Or is getting a day one victory a normal thing?

Congrats ASJ! Would enjoy hearing how you pulled this off if time allows.

43 minutes ago, civsully1 said:

Congrats ASJ! Would enjoy hearing how you pulled this off if time allows.

Thank you so much! I always feel a little bad at this game among the amazing strategists and tacticians around here, but for once I think I did something right!

It was costly in veterans, but if what people say about the massive casualties of Cold Harbor is true, I think it was worth it in the long run. all 5k of the casualties were from low quality, cheaply-armed, 2-star brigades. The tricky part is that you can only loose less then 40% of your force, or else you fail the victory conditions. 

My whole force was fully-loaded with 2500 men infantry brigades. I thought about throwing in a melee cavalry brigade, but decided against it.

I split my force in half. The first half rushed the center of the Union fortifications, securing the Old Cold Harbor objective early. You absolutely have to get the objective timer ticking early, or else the overall time will run out before you "capture" it.

The rest of my army rushed along the far north of the map, and settled down in the heavy woods to the far northeast, right next to where the Union force first enters the battlefield. When the main Union army arrived they were instantly met with fire from my heavily-fortified troops. They were forced to stop and deal with them, costing a lot of valuable time. The good thing about trying a phase one victory, is that time is always on your side. All you need to do is delay the enemy enough to achieve victory. My division in the northern forest kept them at bay for almost the entire timer, and actually managed to inflict more casualties then they took! 

In the south, my men were sniped to death, but due to their obvious advantage in numbers over the Union skirmishers, didn't take overwhelming losses. 

Finally, my men were forced out of the northern forest, and I wasted no time in setting up a second line of defense in the farm just north of the objective. Here again, my troops gave better then they took, and held the Yankees at bay until the end of the battle.

Overall, it was a very hard fight, but a convincing Confederate victory. There were a few things I could have done better (at one point, one of my brigades towards the south got isolated and obliterated by Custard's cavalry), but on the whole It was a good fight, and I'm rather proud of my fine Army of the Arkansas.

Edited by Albert Sidney Johnston
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I took about 5000 casualties but won on day 1 as CSA last night.  I used all 2500 man infantry brigades.  Storm the dismounted cav areas quickly to obtain control of the VP.  The units that are not storming the VP go up to the woods at the top right to slow down the VI corps.  The VI corps is very aggressive when they arrive.  You're just trying to buy time/space by holding them up long enough for the scenario timer to run out.  

15 hours ago, Slobodan said:

As CSA I think it's a must to win on phase 1, too many casualties if you do complete battle (Union keep attacking all the time)

Also won it doing similar strategy as described above , it''s hard but can be done.

I'm going to play out the complete battle in an alt save just to see what it's like.

On 7/28/2017 at 2:17 AM, Hitorishizuka said:

I'm going to play out the complete battle in an alt save just to see what it's like.

Wining complete battle can be done, but casualties sustained are too big imo and not worth it. Especially since following battles are also meat grinder and will drain even big man pool fast.

On other hand, devs just released patch to make winning as CSA on first day even harder, so I'm not sure if that can be done anymore.

Depends on what your losses end up being. It feels a little bad to win the battle like this and see the enemy's army size grow by another 50k. That's definitely more manpower than you get.

If you can still win but draw the battle out and inflict a very good casualty ratio (which should be possible since you're mostly on defense) that might be worth it, so I want to test that.

Okay, here we go. Still a Day 1 Victory on Cold Harbor, but actually play past Phase 1 so as to inflict real damage on the Union forces and actually experience something. Still a very easy battle. Casualties were manageable, could have been even more conservative on the final pushes. Now, was it actually worth it given the automatic AI rebuild? Not entirely sure about that.

• 7 months later...