Game-Labs Forum

Campaign With New Updates

CSX4451

So I started an new CSA campaign on BG level to do a run through with the new changes to see what I thought. I didn't see the Fixed Unit option button and still kinda confused on what it did or didn't do. Is it no longer an option? 

So far I've played all the way through 2nd Manassas ( Bull Run) and I like what I see so far. The captured Intel reports while adding a small touch are kinda gimmicky as they basically say the same thing over and over. I still feel the skirmishes are pretty stout as I had a small group of 100 hold a 2000 man regiment at a standstill for quite a few volleys in several ocassions which seemed unrealistic to me. I tried to fight smarter this go around to minimize my own casualties after taking the victory points. I always seem to want to keep pressure on the enemy right up till the FINISH button comes up which of course increased my casualties in the past. Trying to use more restraint this go around !!!!! : )

At this point after 2nd Manassas I have a total of 60K troops in my CSA Army. Not sure if this is good or bad compared to others as it looks like the Union will have 120k at Antietam to face me after a quick sneak peak.  I haven't fought the two smaller battles prior to Antietam so my numbers and theirs may change some. Regardless, I'm predicting a bloody beating by the union at Antietam with their  2 -1 superiority unless this latest update makes this battle different than in the past. I always struggle at Antietam it seems.

Some minor updates I'd like to see. It would be nice to use real pics of commanders when possible, even if it was something the user could download themselves. Also be nice to make it easier to move units for one Corps to another when they are full and also move commanders around which can be a pain too.

Regardless, this is one fantastic game which I've enjoyed from day 1. Well well done!!!!

• Like 1

I am playing just like you as the CSA and about to start Antietam. I believe that the number of troops you see are for the overall war, not just your campaign. So we see how I do, and number wise, I have around 55K troops.

They basically all say what an awesome General I am and how they need more troops to help defeat me. The usually reply with we will send X number of troops or updated weaponry to assist them. Not saying it's a negative but the captured reports all feel very similar.

I'm in the middle of Antietam now.... good god what a blood bath. I ended up with 62k vs 113k. No way I'm gonna hold all 3 victory points. I'm struggling at the church and the next wave is coming across the bridge in droves......so screwed!!!!

I started with 61K troops, don't know against how many, but here is what I have done so far.... I placed my second corp on the woods around the church with reinforcement behind them, so I cover that whole wooded area. Then my 4 batteries of arty behind them close but not too close.  Then when the map opens up and show you the second point I took a division and move it to cover the brige, that is 3x bdes inf and 2x arty and set up an ambush....it worked like a charm. The town and final phase open up and that is where I am at, Basically there are 2 points they will cross, so I moved troops to those points to set up another ambush. But here is more difficult as there is more terrain and they can fire arty at me ... will see

Edited by i64man

Well I finished Antietam .. what a blood bath, I started with 61K CS troops against almost 73K Union troops. In the end, I lost 17,324 troops and the Union lost 40,835. Now, is refitting time, I have over 51K recruits but money is going to be short.

• Like 1

Great Job.....Can't figure out why I had 113k vs 60k and you had 73k union troops. I felt I had pretty convincing wins at every battle prior to Antietam but still the union brought a huge army to the field !!!! Facing an almost 2-1 deficit it seems impossible. 

31 minutes ago, CSX4451 said:

Great Job.....Can't figure out why I had 113k vs 60k and you had 73k union troops. I felt I had pretty convincing wins at every battle prior to Antietam but still the union brought a huge army to the field !!!! Facing an almost 2-1 deficit it seems impossible. 

Υοu probably play on different difficulties. You faced a situation near to historical odds 2vs1 so the battle escalated close to the historical intensive moments. Lee made it, so players should do the same in the end. :)

Actually it's mostly the AI being better than McClellan.  They tend to be able to bring all their troops into action at once.  Historically the Union basically busted out of each phase of the battle and those sectors then went quiet.  Had the Union brought an action against the Sunken Road and up North at the same time they likely cave in that flank in real life.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, i64man said:

Well I finished Antietam .. what a blood bath, I started with 61K CS troops against almost 73K Union troops. In the end, I lost 17,324 troops and the Union lost 40,835. Now, is refitting time, I have over 51K recruits but money is going to be short.

So are you playing on easy? This would be good to know, as Antietam always ends my rebel campaign on normal with a crushing defeat, even though I handily win all other engagements beforehand. Maybe I need to skip some minor battles so the Union doesn't get too reinforced?

31 minutes ago, Bobby Fiasco said:

So are you playing on easy? This would be good to know, as Antietam always ends my rebel campaign on normal with a crushing defeat, even though I handily win all other engagements beforehand. Maybe I need to skip some minor battles so the Union doesn't get too reinforced?

Hi Bobby, yes it's a new  campaing with ver 0.90 on Colonel Level. The prize money is almost half a Million but is not enough to refit all my units to full strength. L plan the next campaing on BG level.

Edited by i64man

I thought the smaller battles would help me by increading my recruit numbers slightly and according to my Intel the ememy was a total of 15% smaller from the loss at 2 Manassas and the 2 smaller battles prior to Antietam..... 5% less for each victory. Still faced 113k. 

On the early release I actually won Antietam on my first go. Was like damn I'm bad ass!!!!  After the initial updates I've never pulled a victory since.... even on the historical battle. Overall.....Antietam is my Achilles Heel..... although I did cheat once and pull all my forces into Sharpsburg and fight a defensive battle from the town. Once the clock was close to ending, I ran my Calvary I hid on both sides and took the church and sunken road right when the clock ran out!!! : ) hey..... it worked!!!

I wish there was a way to retreat from the field and take the reputation hit but save your army. I mean a real general could decide to retreat and fight another day if he knows a defeat is inevitable.

19 minutes ago, CSX4451 said:

I wish there was a way to retreat from the field and take the reputation hit but save your army. I mean a real general could decide to retreat and fight another day if he knows a defeat is inevitable.

You can. Move your army to the south map edge at the start of the battle. It is best to manually move the artillery out first since it's slower, and then follow with the rest.  Once you move the units manually to close to the map edge, hit the white flag button for each unit and it will route off the map.

Make sure you have the rep stored to take the hit without losing.

49 minutes ago, Fred Sanford said:

You can. Move your army to the south map edge at the start of the battle. It is best to manually move the artillery out first since it's slower, and then follow with the rest.  Once you move the units manually to close to the map edge, hit the white flag button for each unit and it will route off the map.

Make sure you have the rep stored to take the hit without losing.

Nice!

I may have to try that at some point if I can't find a win.

I just finished up another battle this afternoon and this was the best one I've had. I came within 30 minutes of a win but my lines crumbled at the church and sunken road right at the end......oh so close!!!!

Damn you Antietam!!!!!