Game-Labs Forum

UGCW Feedack v0.74

Nick Thomadis

Just now, MikeK said:

Since the game organizes divisions with infantry first, that suggests some musical chairs with brigades of infantry can get him to abide with a desired infantry unit.

Yeah, you have to do that anyway if you're mucking about with combine division and you want to ensure the right brigades combine.

It's not possible: you can't win Chancellorsville on day one. I had all three objectives, not contested, and at the end of the timer it ran to "proceeding to the next day."

I ran this only as a test to see if I could do it, but it's kind of frustrating. If you capture all the objectives on Stones River on the first day, it lets you win. Why can't you win Chancellorsville on the first day? 

I lost 10,000 men on a super aggro push into the farm but by the end of the timer I had all objectives and forty thousand men and 100 guns on the field, with all the fortifications of the farm, and plenty of supplies (about 35,000). The AI couldn't have taken that position from me - however many men from Porters corps ended up arriving were torn to shreds, so why did I lose?

Edited by Squadron HQ

2 hours ago, Squadron HQ said:

It's not possible: you can't win Chancellorsville on day one. I had all three objectives, not contested, and at the end of the timer it ran to "proceeding to the next day."

I ran this only as a test to see if I could do it, but it's kind of frustrating. If you capture all the objectives on Stones River on the first day, it lets you win. Why can't you win Chancellorsville on the first day? 

I lost 10,000 men on a super aggro push into the farm but by the end of the timer I had all objectives and forty thousand men and 100 guns on the field, with all the fortifications of the farm, and plenty of supplies (about 35,000). The AI couldn't have taken that position from me - however many men from Porters corps ended up arriving were torn to shreds, so why did I lose?

In the next patch it will be winnable by day 1 though it should be hard.

16 minutes ago, Koro said:

In the next patch it will be winnable by day 1 though it should be hard.

do you know how itll be harder? fortifications are being nerfed right, which should make it easier? porter's corps doesn't turn up until the last twenty minutes or whatever and taking the farm on day one means much less resistance than day three. 

3 minutes ago, Squadron HQ said:

do you know how itll be harder? fortifications are being nerfed right, which should make it easier? porter's corps doesn't turn up until the last twenty minutes or whatever and taking the farm on day one means much less resistance than day three. 

Not sure if anything has changed but the whole army of the Potomac is bearing down on this single point. It should be hard. If it's not, things should probably change :).

3 hours ago, Koro said:

Not sure if anything has changed but the whole army of the Potomac is bearing down on this single point. It should be hard. If it's not, things should probably change :).

At the moment, if you use force-march you can bring two corps to bear on the farm with one hour left on the ticket. Playing aggressively, your first corps can be shooting it out with the farm in the hour before that, and that's where you take casualties - storming the farm itself is pretty hard because the AI tends to put three star brigades right on it. But by the time you've captured it you can make a solid L shape protecting the west flank of the farm from porter, and a line across the farms defences supported by all your cannons, with skirmishers on the first two pikes. My bet is that you could hold this position all day against a union counterattack and you'd take fewer losses than trying to storm the farm when Hooker's whole army is entrenched in it.

But I'm jsut talking about details that will soon change. I guess... we'll find out!

Just finished Fredericksburg on Hard as the CSA, and had something really weird happen in the last phase of the battle. When the focus switched back to Telegraph Road and the southern hill, a large number of damaged, exhausted Union brigades appeared northeast of the Telegraph Road VP and began moving toward what was left of the fighting in the south. Apparently, most or all of the Union units from Marye's Heights were teleported to the last phase. This was frustrating because my center Corps had advanced, pushed the Union reinforcements across the creek towards Fredericksburg, and then captured the southern portion of the town. There was no physical way for those units to get to the Telegraph Road area without either fighting through a full-strength division or crossing a bridge under fire and going all the way around to the east, which would have taken longer than the phase lasted. None of my units were teleported - only Union units. Fortunately, I was able to resume a defensive position and fend them off, and I had a couple of skirmishers and some cavalry that were able to delay the Union units enough to keep the Telegraph Road VP from being captured.

Stones River. I had just done a slow and careful left flank maneuver that captured the western VP. My troops then advanced, rolled up the line, and cracked the eastern defenses. The eastern VP was taken. Boom, the day ends, next phase. Suddenly, my troops are back where they started, except in worse positions - the left flank position I had established was completely gone. Both VPs displayed Confederate flags at the beginning of the phase. In other words, I won by taking both VPs, and it showed me owning both VPs - and then I got to watch as they  were taken away because my troops were arbitrarily removed from the objectives. That right there is a keyboard breaker - that position is so incredibly painful and costly to crack, and due to the scenario design I have to do it twice?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aetius said:

Also on Stones River, it's possible to position infantry below the easternmost fortification such the attackers can shoot the defenders, but the defenders can't shoot back.

Screenshot, please. 

12 hours ago, Aetius said:

Stones River. I had just done a slow and careful left flank maneuver that captured the western VP. My troops then advanced, rolled up the line, and cracked the eastern defenses. The eastern VP was taken. Boom, the day ends, next phase. Suddenly, my troops are back where they started, except in worse positions - the left flank position I had established was completely gone. Both VPs displayed Confederate flags at the beginning of the phase. In other words, I won by taking both VPs, and it showed me owning both VPs - and then I got to watch as they  were taken away because my troops were arbitrarily removed from the objectives. That right there is a keyboard breaker - that position is so incredibly painful and costly to crack, and due to the scenario design I have to do it twice?

Same thing happened to me. Unfortunately all multi-day battles have teleportation. No way around it, there are too many possible outcomes and at some point you have to restrict the flow in order to ensure a somewhat plausible and cohesive campaign. It's been discussed at length and I've requested teleportation be removed many times. Doesn't look like that will happen.  

I'm less concerned about the teleporting in that instance, and more concerned about the fact that I had won, and the game acknowledged that I had won - and then my victory was taken away. I have to replay it anyway (I quit without saving in disgust), so I'll stream it.