Game-Labs Forum

Supplies

steeltalons

42 minutes ago, Aetius said:

As of right now, no. Your supply wagon for each corps has what you've set in the Army screen for supply, and it replenishes for free between scenarios. Also, captured supply current does nothing.

It takes money out to refill it to the amount you had it set to before minus the amount that was left in the wagon. So it costs money each time.

Supplies are technically wasted if you fill up your brigades in the end and don't use it, emptying the wagon. 

Grand scheme of things though, given that supply is capped at 25000 a corp, even if you don't spend all of the supply in the battle, it's not that big of a deal compared to the money you're getting in at each battle. I believe Antietam and Fredericksburg were at greater than $300k on victory? I believe Union Fredericksburg was at 500k.

14 minutes ago, Koro said:

It takes money out to refill it to the amount you had it set to before minus the amount that was left in the wagon. So it costs money each time.

Supplies are technically wasted if you fill up your brigades in the end and don't use it, emptying the wagon. 

It must be bugged for me, or maybe it's a function of difficulty level? I have a before-and-after set of saves on Malvern Hill. The Battle Screen said it would give me $180k, and it gave me exactly that much, even though I had 32k in supply and I'm pretty sure I burned it all and then some. I'm fairly sure I only captured one wagon, empty - skirmishers like to shoot them instead of capture them.

3 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

Grand scheme of things though, given that supply is capped at 25000 a corp, even if you don't spend all of the supply in the battle, it's not that big of a deal compared to the money you're getting in at each battle. I believe Antietam and Fredericksburg were at greater than $300k on victory? I believe Union Fredericksburg was at 500k.

Not really true. If you are running a max size army, it's pretty easy to run out of money due to needing to actually buy basic rifles and lots more Veteran refill costs and so on. Money matters.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hitorishizuka said:

Not really true. If you are running a max size army, it's pretty easy to run out of money due to needing to actually buy basic rifles and lots more Veteran refill costs and so on. Money matters.

Would money spent on supply really matter that much compared to how much money you're spending on rifles, in that case?

Money spent on supply would come out to about 2000 M1842s per Corps. Which for a max size army, that's not that much compared to putting 2500 men in each infantry brigade.

Edited by Wandering1

3 hours ago, Aetius said:

It must be bugged for me, or maybe it's a function of difficulty level? I have a before-and-after set of saves on Malvern Hill. The Battle Screen said it would give me $180k, and it gave me exactly that much, even though I had 32k in supply and I'm pretty sure I burned it all and then some. I'm fairly sure I only captured one wagon, empty - skirmishers like to shoot them instead of capture them.

It should take money out, if it doesn't, it's a bug. I'll look for it too. 

1 hour ago, Wandering1 said:

Would money spent on supply really matter that much compared to how much money you're spending on rifles, in that case?

Money spent on supply would come out to about 2000 M1842s per Corps. Which for a max size army, that's not that much compared to putting 2500 men in each infantry brigade.

If it's after every battle, another $20k per Corps absolutely adds up. You can pretty much always find uses for money when using all of your men. The save files I was doing that I pretty much couldn't even afford Whitworths/JS or 24pdrs or anything fancy.

3 minutes ago, Hitorishizuka said:

If it's after every battle, another $20k per Corps absolutely adds up. You can pretty much always find uses for money when using all of your men. The save files I was doing that I pretty much couldn't even afford Whitworths/JS or 24pdrs or anything fancy.

Well, if it's down to finding uses for money, there's always something you can buy. Whether it's a good use of the money, I tend to think is a very different question.

Then again, while there is little incentive to using max-size armies, the question of good use of money perhaps is not an applicable one for people attempting to play with max-size armies.

2 hours ago, Wandering1 said:

Well, if it's down to finding uses for money, there's always something you can buy. Whether it's a good use of the money, I tend to think is a very different question.

Then again, while there is little incentive to using max-size armies, the question of good use of money perhaps is not an applicable one for people attempting to play with max-size armies.

When i say "can find uses for money" I really mean "okay I actually ran out of money and still want more brigades to fill requirements on the map and can't afford rifles".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hitorishizuka said:

When i say "can find uses for money" I really mean "okay I actually ran out of money and still want more brigades to fill requirements on the map and can't afford rifles".

Alas, we cannot play this Soviet style of putting a guy behind the guy in front to pick up the rifle when the guy in front gets shot. :mellow:

13 hours ago, Koro said:

It should take money out, if it doesn't, it's a bug. I'll look for it too. 

So, we're both wrong and / or it's definitely bugged - at least on Brigadier General / Normal Difficulty. I played through Shiloh saving every few minutes, trying to get a save that would reliably trigger the freeze bug. That didn't work, but it means I had a save right before the end of the battle.

Money promised for the win: $165k

Supply left in my wagon: less than half of 7993

Captured wagons: 1, mostly depleted

Other wagons: II Corps, about 90% depleted (stupid Pit)

Supplies captured on the AAR screen: 769

Total money received: $165,769

So not only did it not subtract the money for replacing my supplies, but it added the captured supplies to my take on a 1-to-1 basis. It's possible that the II Corps wagon was added to my take, but as it was almost empty I don't see it replacing 4k+ of supply - it was barely able to reload the three brigades holding the edge of the Pit.

Thanks for the info. I always assumed it just auto refilled, I wish there was an option to turn this off. 

Do you all bring supplies to every battle especially when you play as CSA? Union I made so much money i was never hurting, granted this was on easy during my first play through.

On 1/1/2017 at 11:09 AM, steeltalons said:

Do you all bring supplies to every battle especially when you play as CSA? Union I made so much money i was never hurting, granted this was on easy during my first play through.

Yes, always. It's routine for snipers and artillery to run out of ammunition, even with the +ammo perks. In 2nd Bull Run, my snipers run out before the Union attack even starts. On Cedar Mountain, I keep the supply wagon with the snipers the entire time, as they are firing continuously. And more to the point, there are essentially two things that will kill your units in this game - running out of ammo, and running out of stamina. The CSA cannot afford to be sloppy.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2016 at 11:32 AM, Koro said:

Are you sure of this, Koro? Seems like I don't have to refill my wagons after battle. I'll have to test it.

3 hours ago, sonnypemberton said:

I'm pretty sure the way it works is that if you have a cart set for $20k, that is 80% full. If you use it all during a game, it is automatically filled back to 20k after each battle at your expense. if you barely use any, it only charges you the difference.

This is how it's supposed to work.

2 minutes ago, Andre Bolkonsky said:

Crank it up to 25K after Shiloh and just leave it there. 

Nothing worse than empty supply carts. 

Well. At least empty supply carts can be used to bait the enemy, if you want to be really cheesy since losing the supply cart doesn't count against your manpower at the end of combat.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2016 at 9:07 PM, Hitorishizuka said:

I feel your pain. But Isn't this the fun of 'Camp'? 

You have X amount of stuff to work with, and a wide variety of paths to choose. 

It is RARE I go into camp and don't restart at least once for the smaller battles. And big battles? It can take me longer to mix and match an OOB to my liking than it does to fight the battle.