Game-Labs Forum

Mod and trim stacking of the same type is simply just too good:

Stacking the frigate master perk with speed trim, and another speed trim regional bonus, with fir or Bermuda cedar, then putting on speed trim and copper plating makes ships go way too fast in this game.  

May I suggest adding diminishing returns for speed stacking so if someone wants to make a super fast ship, they can, but every extra stack gives you less of a return.  Not saying some ships should not be faster than others, but, I do not like the trim stacking right now in this game.  Or perhaps limiting a ship to 1 speed trim option.  So if you choose built in speed, you cannot get a regional speed bonus on top of that.  If you take say pirate refit, you wont get the extra speed bonus from from the pirate refit.  

Same goes for stacking armor thickness.  89 cm thick armor on a first rate is just simply too much.  If you stack stiffness with strong hull, strong hull should not give you the extra thickness.  This will also make people build ships with more diversity instead of just stacking trims of the same type to get a double bonus.

Edited by Yar Matey
  • Like 5

POTBS fixed this by doing a stacking bleed.  Every mod you add with that trait gets less and less of it's percentage.  Like the second one gives 75%, third gives 50% and so on, but this was just for mods.  They can do something like this to keep from stacking to much of certain things.

89 cm thickness just means you can't be sniping a mile a way.  I looked at most first rate guns and it looks like they will all pen under 500m or even 250m except maybe the top deck guns.  So if your doing a proper broad side to broadside that 89 really isn't going to mean much.

Just to show some of the problem.. I've got an indiaman that in battleinstance will do about 14 kn (perhaps a bit more, I usually trade with hold optimization and coward perks so with frigate master it should go a bit faster).. I can ofc love the fact that I outrun most other ships - but it isn't that realistic..

I agree the current mods + regional bonus stacking has a way to big impact on the ships stats (especially since most mods are percentage based). Personaly i feel then new regional speed bonuses together with the new RoE doen't work well together and is a even bigger reson why less OW PvP is going on atm. I personaly hoped that many of this problems will be fix with the new ship crafting system, since it is a good opportunity to get rid of remnant mods and bonuses when changing to the new system.

One side effect I came across from stacking when reloading... was an induced explosion risk

On Both Santi and L'O old builds, Improved mag access, powder monkey, rum rations. Officer Perk was Double Charge and Pirate Hunter. On a close quarters battle firing into the enemy from all sides. After the 3x round of broadsides your cannon catching fire or exploding probability increases extremely quickly. Add to the that, the number of cannons carried... boom...

I like the stacking effects, both good and hidden... imo

Norfolk.

7 hours ago, Borch said:

[...]

Age of Sail Ships were not build to be sunk by cannonfire. If pen get increased and/or thickness decreased PBs will turn into an all assault brawl and whoever gets lucky placing moe hits into enemy ships will win. Just look at Bermuda or Belize where attackers somehow had to adapt to the defenders strategy.

On topic: I am not a fan of unrealistic fast (trading) ships. But once speed debuff for cargo-loaded ships will be there, I hope at least this will be solved. I am more upset by the huge amount of fleets in small regions around the lesser antilles for example, where overlapping regions create tremendous amounts of fleets within draw distance.

26 minutes ago, Batman said:

Age of Sail Ships were not build to be sunk by cannonfire. If pen get increased and/or thickness decreased PBs will turn into an all assault brawl and whoever gets lucky placing moe hits into enemy ships will win. Just look at Bermuda or Belize where attackers somehow had to adapt to the defenders strategy.

On topic: I am not a fan of unrealistic fast (trading) ships. But once speed debuff for cargo-loaded ships will be there, I hope at least this will be solved. I am more upset by the huge amount of fleets in small regions around the lesser antilles for example, where overlapping regions create tremendous amounts of fleets within draw distance.

Not to mention seems like there is still way to many SOL"s fleets around areas like that.  I'm all for some frigates or light ships but when it's all ways SOL's I won't even tag AI traders cause of to many SOL's in an area that should be more neutral by free ports.

There is nothing wrong with speed ships, but what I don't like is things like being able to just poof out of a battle when your close to each other Area Control should be an auto thing for all battles.  Same with the Doctor perk should be for all players.     Remember there is all ways going to be some one faster than you.  The only problem is when it becomes the norm and folks do nothing but run unless they out number you.  I pretty much make my tank builds for PB's since most folks don't run in them (well until they start loosing) and the fast ships for OW fighting.   Bring a mix of ships in your group so you have your taggers and folks to brawl once they are slowed down and caught up to.  Than you don't have an issue.   Nothing like watching a Fir speed built ship just get decimated when some one tanked gets beside them.

30 minutes ago, Hodo said:

The way I look at it is like this.

If a person speed stacks and makes their ship as fast as possible, sacrificing all other options to go fast, great.  Means they are VERY one sided, and fragile.  Even a Cedar ship will have holes blown through it and melt like ice cream in a hot car in Arizona.    You can run so fast but cant run if you have no hull or sails.

That's just not the reality right now.  It's all speed or all tank with no variety, tank for port battles and speed for OW, especially with the buff to stern raking.  Side armor matters little in a world where raking and demasting are easy and effective ways if crippling ships.

• Like 3