Game-Labs Forum

PvP2 Battle for Port Antonio Britus vs Pirates

Loco Bandito

this is getting off topic again.

SO to be another person to bring it back. I will say since coming over to the "dark" side i have seen what it looks like when fighting the US and the amount of mistakes and flaws that they make in fights just adds up to were the other side looks like they have 2x the skill lvl of the other team. US ts is dumpster vs pirate ts is clearer and not got 30 dif conversations going on in a fight. They also have a shot caller set up well before the fight... something that US never did well (to many chiefs not enough indians) also US grouping is bad everyone is always blocking eachother trying to get that broadside off also you only broadside never see single shots for best acc/damage and lastly the biggest 1 that keeps coming up Shooting sails... US needs to learn when its a good time to shoot sails and when YOUR TO CLOSE GO FOR DAMAGE. already been in atleast 3 fights were US player still has chain loaded at under 50m range and is dumping a broadside or 2 or 3 of chain into the side of a ship which then laughs at them for being pointless. 

Thats just my 2 cents from the week i have spent fighting the US and not with them

The following is my honest assessment of how things have been going. Loco and gang, my intent isn't to offend, so don't get all butt-hurt over my perspective. Same goes to our allies. Everyone's right about the toxicity levels, and its coming from all parties - no need for anyone to claim to be on higher ground, cause there aint any (insert sea-level pun here). A little more honesty and humility can go a long way, but a lot of players seem to still have some enormous chips on their shoulders. PVP2 seriously needs more moderators!

THIS IS WHERE I AGREE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT SHORTCOMINS OF MY NATION AND ALLIES (grab some popcorn and enjoy!)

What squedage said x100. I've been harping about this in fleet battles for a long time, but it falls on def ears. Our fleet TS discipline is horrible. I think that's partly a result of having people from half a dozen clans that ultimately don't really work together all in the same fleet. When we work together within our clan, we can get our core group with up to 10 or so ships with players who practice together, and its pretty good (not perfect, as we are always training newer members). Add 10-15 others, and its chaos - 5 people talking over the callers about stuff that doesn't matter. No one needs to know that your sails are at 97% health, or that the pizza guy is here :) If you try to maintain TS discipline (telling someone to use battle coms/be quiet/stfu/remove from channel), people get offended, call you bad names, and undermine your entire clan in nation chat. You can lead a horse to water or something, right? For anyone who has played WoW, its the difference between an organized clan raid and a pick-up raid. Above 10 ships, and we function like a pick-up raid...

Another big issue is piloting skill. Its fashionable to blame cheats or hacks on defeat lately. I'm can't prove that everything is 100% legit, but it's alpha... there WILL be bugs. More importantly, I've seen several cases of someone accusing players of hacking on TS during battles: "I just broadsided him point blank and only got 1 hit! dude is totally hacking"... meanwhile I just watched that 'broadside', and it was at a 45* angle, against a larger ship with thicker armor causing everything to clearly bounce, and most missed anyway. Then no one can communicate on TS for the next 5 mins as everyone's debating this kind of crap as we lose ships. Again, TS iscipline. There's a time & place, and its after the battle. I've tried to train on this afterwards, but receptiveness to constructive criticism isn't often there - if your doing something wrong, no need to be defensive when someone tries to help. It's alpha, and the game we play today may not be the same as yesterday!

I know pointing this out will probably ruffle some feathers, but if it helps us be more aware of where we are deficient and want to improve, I can live with that... I also acknowledge that I own some responsibility for this myself.

THIS IS WHERE I GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE (mind your egos)

So yea, BLACK clan has their act together in large fleet battles. They can field 20+ first rates with just their own members, they communicate well in battle, and do a good job of training their captains. Congrats on that, its a major achievement considering our server population. I've seen you guys have almost 20% of the on-line players in your fleet at once, all in 1st rates! Your level of organization is impressive, and the execution shows that. Because of that, you guys are able to win the big battles. Great job!

Would you guys be willing to record a fight some time and post a video with comms? It'd be great to show how things should be, but also to dispel some of the hacking claims

THIS IS WHERE I HIGHLIGHT THE CURRENT REALITY

But everything doesn't come down to who has the best 1st rate blob, and while you can win the big battles, your still losing the war. I think this is because of lack of overall numbers, and refusal to adapt to the situation. US and GB are still trying to get their act together in regard to large ship battles, and while we're having difficulty adapting to that, we realize its not worth losing another fleet of 1st rates to practice - so we dont. We know we're a long way off in that regard, but we also know we can reclaim any significant losses in the short term. And here's the thing: you don't get to dictate what kind of battles are fought. You can either decide to be the aggressor, taking 1 regional capital per day, unopposed, while losing a half-dozen or more ports (including other regionals, also un-opposed), until you are out of ports... then we can blob together over your last few ports assuming it happens before the reset. Or you can concede that you dont get to dictate the terms of everything, split up your forces, and get some good fights as they are.

At the end of the day, you may be winning the head-to-head 25-v-25 battle, but at the expense of losing the war. Your like Sparta - a great force, but a (slightly) smaller one (and we all know how that ended for Sparta). I know... 'we dont care about ports' or 'wipe coming' - again, sorry but you also dont get to dictate the fact that this IS still a game of conquest, not self-contained instances; so can't we just try to play to have fun playing the game as it is today?

I don't do much of the boring empty port battle stuff myself (yea, its boring), but look at it this way: why are the PB's empty? Why are there no defenders? Who decides to stay in a blob of 1st rates in your own uncontested PB, rather than spread out in smaller groups of other ships to CONTEST these otherwise empty battles? The attacker doesn't decide the response of the defender. Why are you avoiding the readily-available PVP that is right in front of you, then complaining that everyone is avoiding you? That's fine if its what you choose to do, but that soapbox just makes you look silly

And please dont cry about zerg tactics, as BLACK used them more than anyone in the past couple months when things were headed the other way and is the cause of the current situation. Besides, it's not a zerg when you know its coming, are capable of defending and winning all the concurrent battles, but CHOOSE not to. And more importantly, it's a result of your decisions: BLACK clan has made sure to set ALL of their port times to a single window, so there's only 2 hours of port-based PVP per day. US and GB followed suit as a defensive measure, successfully turning the tide. As a result, all port PVP happens in a single 2hr window, allowing us to force you to have to decide between playing to your strenght as a single offensive uncontested blob, or to our strength as a split defense. It's up to you to decide how to best respond. Take 1 and lose 5 every day while avoiding PVP, or defend in multiple battles and have fun.... your call, but dont blame us when you don't show up. If BLACK is unable to cover all their bases in that time and refuses to realize that they don't dictate the terms, maybe that was a poor tactical decision by BLACK leadership to stack timers in a way that exposes your weakness so much?

Again, no hard feelings and i could be totally wrong about all this - just try to have some thick skin if I struck a nerve and look at it objectively. But for now, that's how I see it. I really hope we can drop the pointless spin, get back to ignoring the trolls, and trying to have fun playing the game we have rather than get under people's skin. And send chat moderators please! :)

ps - big thanks for Nyrtle's group for getting some timer diversity... 00-02 doesn't work very well for me :)

Edited by Cutch
  • Like 1

May i make a suggestion for those having problems with coms and the constant chatter?

Having run guilds,clans,fleets etc of up to 300 members i know all to much that it is virtually impossible to get some people to shut up during combat. Teens and guys drinking alot ( ha ha ha yes thats all of u) seem to really never stop talking.

Given this problem what i have done in the past is to have a combat room for the battle or what2is being called and then giving ONLY the caller and a select few the abi4to talk. Everyone else has chat disabled for that room.

Works wonders and the few tiny useful information you may miss is more than made up for by getting your orders heard. The players can always type critical info in chat bar.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

The following is my honest assessment of how things have been going. Loco and gang, my intent isn't to offend, so don't get all butt-hurt over my perspective. Same goes to our allies. Everyone's right about the toxicity levels, and its coming from all parties - no need for anyone to claim to be on higher ground, cause there aint any (insert sea-level pun here). A little more honesty and humility can go a long way, but a lot of players seem to still have some enormous chips on their shoulders. PVP2 seriously needs more moderators!

THIS IS WHERE I AGREE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT SHORTCOMINS OF MY NATION AND ALLIES (grab some popcorn and enjoy!)

What squedage said x100. I've been harping about this in fleet battles for a long time, but it falls on def ears. Our fleet TS discipline is horrible. I think that's partly a result of having people from half a dozen clans that ultimately don't really work together all in the same fleet. When we work together within our clan, we can get our core group with up to 10 or so ships with players who practice together, and its pretty good (not perfect, as we are always training newer members). Add 10-15 others, and its chaos - 5 people talking over the callers about stuff that doesn't matter. No one needs to know that your sails are at 97% health, or that the pizza guy is here :) If you try to maintain TS discipline (telling someone to use battle coms/be quiet/stfu/remove from channel), people get offended, call you bad names, and undermine your entire clan in nation chat. You can lead a horse to water or something, right? For anyone who has played WoW, its the difference between an organized clan raid and a pick-up raid. Above 10 ships, and we function like a pick-up raid...

Another big issue is piloting skill. Its fashionable to blame cheats or hacks on defeat lately. I'm can't prove that everything is 100% legit, but it's alpha... there WILL be bugs. More importantly, I've seen several cases of someone accusing players of hacking on TS during battles: "I just broadsided him point blank and only got 1 hit! dude is totally hacking"... meanwhile I just watched that 'broadside', and it was at a 45* angle, against a larger ship with thicker armor causing everything to clearly bounce, and most missed anyway. Then no one can communicate on TS for the next 5 mins as everyone's debating this kind of crap as we lose ships. Again, TS iscipline. There's a time & place, and its after the battle. I've tried to train on this afterwards, but receptiveness to constructive criticism isn't often there - if your doing something wrong, no need to be defensive when someone tries to help. It's alpha, and the game we play today may not be the same as yesterday!

I know pointing this out will probably ruffle some feathers, but if it helps us be more aware of where we are deficient and want to improve, I can live with that... I also acknowledge that I own some responsibility for this myself.

THIS IS WHERE I GIVE CREDIT WHERE CREDIT IS DUE (mind your egos)

So yea, BLACK clan has their act together in large fleet battles. They can field 20+ first rates with just their own members, they communicate well in battle, and do a good job of training their captains. Congrats on that, its a major achievement considering our server population. I've seen you guys have almost 20% of the on-line players in your fleet at once, all in 1st rates! Your level of organization is impressive, and the execution shows that. Because of that, you guys are able to win the big battles. Great job!

Would you guys be willing to record a fight some time and post a video with comms? It'd be great to show how things should be, but also to dispel some of the hacking claims

THIS IS WHERE I HIGHLIGHT THE CURRENT REALITY

But everything doesn't come down to who has the best 1st rate blob, and while you can win the big battles, your still losing the war. I think this is because of lack of overall numbers, and refusal to adapt to the situation. US and GB are still trying to get their act together in regard to large ship battles, and while we're having difficulty adapting to that, we realize its not worth losing another fleet of 1st rates to practice - so we dont. We know we're a long way off in that regard, but we also know we can reclaim any significant losses in the short term. And here's the thing: you don't get to dictate what kind of battles are fought. You can either decide to be the aggressor, taking 1 regional capital per day, unopposed, while losing a half-dozen or more ports (including other regionals, also un-opposed), until you are out of ports... then we can blob together over your last few ports assuming it happens before the reset. Or you can concede that you dont get to dictate the terms of everything, split up your forces, and get some good fights as they are.

At the end of the day, you may be winning the head-to-head 25-v-25 battle, but at the expense of losing the war. Your like Sparta - a great force, but a (slightly) smaller one (and we all know how that ended for Sparta). I know... 'we dont care about ports' or 'wipe coming' - again, sorry but you also dont get to dictate the fact that this IS still a game of conquest, not self-contained instances; so can't we just try to play to have fun playing the game as it is today?

I don't do much of the boring empty port battle stuff myself (yea, its boring), but look at it this way: why are the PB's empty? Why are there no defenders? Who decides to stay in a blob of 1st rates in your own uncontested PB, rather than spread out in smaller groups of other ships to CONTEST these otherwise empty battles? The attacker doesn't decide the response of the defender. Why are you avoiding the readily-available PVP that is right in front of you, then complaining that everyone is avoiding you? That's fine if its what you choose to do, but that soapbox just makes you look silly

And please dont cry about zerg tactics, as BLACK used them more than anyone in the past couple months when things were headed the other way and is the cause of the current situation. Besides, it's not a zerg when you know its coming, are capable of defending and winning all the concurrent battles, but CHOOSE not to. And more importantly, it's a result of your decisions: BLACK clan has made sure to set ALL of their port times to a single window, so there's only 2 hours of port-based PVP per day. US and GB followed suit as a defensive measure, successfully turning the tide. As a result, all port PVP happens in a single 2hr window, allowing us to force you to have to decide between playing to your strenght as a single offensive uncontested blob, or to our strength as a split defense. It's up to you to decide how to best respond. Take 1 and lose 5 every day while avoiding PVP, or defend in multiple battles and have fun.... your call, but dont blame us when you don't show up. If BLACK is unable to cover all their bases in that time and refuses to realize that they don't dictate the terms, maybe that was a poor tactical decision by BLACK leadership to stack timers in a way that exposes your weakness so much?

Again, no hard feelings and i could be totally wrong about all this - just try to have some thick skin if I struck a nerve and look at it objectively. But for now, that's how I see it. I really hope we can drop the pointless spin, get back to ignoring the trolls, and trying to have fun playing the game we have rather than get under people's skin. And send chat moderators please! :)

ps - big thanks for Nyrtle's group for getting some timer diversity... 00-02 doesn't work very well for me :)

You fail to realize that when our force turns up to defend a flag you all run. Happened when you pulled Saint Nic, Port Antonio. You avoid us to minimize losses. Frankly that's getting pretty lame. Yeah port wipe is coming we drew a line we don't need all them ports as a clan we decided what we want so really does that mean we achieved what we wanted out of the war? Your goals and our goals are different. So your idea of winning is to have all the ports? Wipe all nations out? No server stability for new players?

Your guys like empty PB and play change the pixel colour. No offense but maybe some of you should go pve, won't lose ships and can do economy and craft. We used to have organized pvp with one of the US clans they bring 4 ships we bring 4 ships exact same types of ships and have pvp. Gentleman agreements, something Brit and US seem to lack. You mention split up and have a good fight so why not say hey we got 10 going here and we will send 8?

As for video I think Zep has made most of our vids, also most of our clan is military based so for them working together is a natural ability.

But we as a clan we are eagerly waiting for port wipe as we have some plans up our sleeves for you guys. :)

Edited by Loco Bandito

We used to have organized pvp with one of the US clans they bring 4 ships we bring 4 ships exact same types of ships and have pvp. Gentleman agreements, something Brit and US seem to lack.

ah, the old days, :P

those were some fun fights.

Santa Cecilia OP :)

At the risk of overstepping my rank I would advance that as large and organized as it is, the BLACK clan is only a clan and is not the whole pirate nation and, as far as I know, is not responsible for the security of the entire pirate nation.

Knowing how independent of politics and government pirates players are, each clan or individual can decide of where and when to engage and if multiple ports are being attacked, I don't think it would be fair to put all the burden of responsibility on that one clan to split their own forces to defend the whole pirate map when it is challenged in diverse geographic areas. 

When multiple flags are taken, since there is no way to know the actual numbers in the attacking forces, the sensible approach for a clan would be to assess which port is the most important target strategically and go protect that port as one large force.

Oh... and I'm sorry to butt in while we're still out of topic from the battle for Port Antonio.

Edited by Tonnerre de Brest
  • Like 2

You fail to realize that when our force turns up to defend a flag you all run. Happened when you pulled Saint Nic, Port Antonio. You avoid us to minimize losses. Frankly that's getting pretty lame. Yeah port wipe is coming we drew a line we don't need all them ports as a clan we decided what we want so really does that mean we achieved what we wanted out of the war? Your goals and our goals are different. So your idea of winning is to have all the ports? Wipe all nations out? No server stability for new players?

Your guys like empty PB and play change the pixel colour. No offense but maybe some of you should go pve, won't lose ships and can do economy and craft. We used to have organized pvp with one of the US clans they bring 4 ships we bring 4 ships exact same types of ships and have pvp. Gentleman agreements, something Brit and US seem to lack. You mention split up and have a good fight so why not say hey we got 10 going here and we will send 8?

As for video I think Zep has made most of our vids, also most of our clan is military based so for them working together is a natural ability.

But we as a clan we are eagerly waiting for port wipe as we have some plans up our sleeves for you guys. :)

Your real gripe is not with the players, but with the mechanics of the game.  Currently, if your ship has not taken any damage within 2 minutes, you can escape.  I remember on a few occasions where we needed to make a tactical retreat when our army of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a few 4th rates were up against the might of your fully 1st rate crewed armada.  We would intentionally bait your force with 2-3 ships while we allow the rest of the fleet escape.  We know when we are outgunned and will not hesitate to flee if we need to and that is not a cowardly tactic; this is smart and strategic.  A simple solution is to keep as many of us tagged in combat as possible by shooting our sails so we cant flee.

If you feel that the current game mechanics allow players to escape too easily, voice your concern in the suggestions section of the forums.  I do agree that 2 minutes is not enough time, it should be 4 minutes and a minimum distance from nearest enemy of 2000 meters. 

Edit:  I also want to say that the coward perk does not help this situation any either, and I personally think it should be removed from the game or cost most of your officer points to have to the point where your not effective in combat with this perk. 

Edited by Ultravis
  • Like 3

Your real gripe is not with the players, but with the mechanics of the game. Currently, if your ship has not taken any damage within 2 minutes, you can escape. I remember on a few occasions where we needed to make a tactical retreat when our army of 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and a few 4th rates were up against the might of your fully 1st rate crewed armada. We would intentionally bait your force with 2-3 ships while we allow the rest of the fleet escape. We know when we are outgunned and will not hesitate to flee if we need to and that is not a cowardly tactic; this is smart and strategic. A simple solution is to keep as many of us tagged in combat as possible by shooting our sails so we cant flee.

If you feel that the current game mechanics allow players to escape too easily, voice your concern in the suggestions section of the forums. I do agree that 2 minutes is not enough time, it should be 4 minutes and a minimum distance from nearest enemy of 2000 meters.

Edit: I also want to say that the coward perk does not help this situation any either, and I personally think it should be removed from the game or cost most of your officer points to have to the point where your not effective in combat with this perk.

The coward perk is ridiculous yes.
  • Like 2

The coward perk is ridiculous yes.

Even in just normal PvP battles you would just be blown away how many times we see some one pop as fast as they can instead of fighting and helping the other guys.  Guys like that tend to get a reputation and than others won't show up to help them when it's there turn to be tagged by others.

Many of our best fights have been from lower level guys coming out and fighting us  to help others.  I have sent links to the boarding info on wiki to help out these guys and hope they grow and become big grown players that will prob sink me some day.  Hell I have even offered to make a ship for one guy that keep coming out getting sunk cause he had the balls to fight.   Though that guy ended up going pirate  any way.