Game-Labs Forum

Help Please

I have also had a Mercury Blueprint from a captured Snow I broke up

Interesting.  It's always been my understanding that a BP gained from ship break-up could only be for the ship being broken.  (for example, only a T-Snow BP would be possible from breaking up a T-Snow).

Are you sure you got the Mercury BP from the Snow break-up (and not from crafting the Brig?).

If so, perhaps it's a recent (and undocumented) change in the last patch.

Interesting.  It's always been my understanding that a BP gained from ship break-up could only be for the ship being broken.  (for example, only a T-Snow BP would be possible from breaking up a T-Snow).

Are you sure you got the Mercury BP from the Snow break-up (and not from crafting the Brig?).

I never got any BP from breaking up ships, but a mercury can be dropped from crafting a snow, brig, navybrig or a pickle. Maybe it uses the same mechanics as crafting a ship when breaking down one, but with a much lower chance to get a drop?

The "logic" that you can learn a new ship bluepring from building a ship, is equaly absurd as one would learn a new bluepring from breaking down a ship. So might be plausible.

yeah -- you can ONLY get the BP for the CURRENT ship being broke up - as a direct result of the "break up" process. ~2-5% chance, IIRC.

You can only get "Newer" Blue prints (for SUBSEQUENT ships) from crafting a prior ship. Ie - Craft the Mercury -> may yield Surprise BP

** I received the LGV BP on both PVE and PVP2 servers by breaking down LGV's on both. Then got the Indiaman BP from crafting LGV's, on both.

hope that makes sense.

-Yank

yeah -- you can ONLY get the BP for the CURRENT ship being broke up - as a direct result of the "break up" process. ~2-5% chance, IIRC.

You can only get "Newer" Blue prints (for SUBSEQUENT ships) from crafting a prior ship. Ie - Craft the Mercury -> may yield Surprise BP

** I received the LGV BP on both PVE and PVP2 servers by breaking down LGV's on both. Then got the Indiaman BP from crafting LGV's, on both.

hope that makes sense.

-Yank

Yep, that's been my consistent experience as well...which is why I picked up on Billy's statement about obtaining Merc via breakup.  I figured it probably wasn't true...but then the devs change things from time to time and don't always tell us.

• Like 1

I can't exactly recall where I got the Mercury blueprint, maybe it was from one of my crafted ships. So far I have crafted a Lynx, (sold at PR) Traders Brig (Exceptional build), which I crafted for my own use, then (I broke up the basic grey one I was using, which I just got a few parts)

I have also built two Navy Brigs (one Purple Mastercraft), which i have since sold and a (Gold Exceptional) which is still for sale at PR. I have a stash of resources in my warehouse, which I have expanded quite a few times to hold all my materials ready for future builds. I have also a stash of ready built parts, including Large, Medium and Small gun carriages, 6 Low Grade Notes, which use up a lot of labour hours.

Most of my wood materials, like Fir, Teak, Oak, Pine, Red Wood and the most expensive, Compass Wood, I usually buy, from Ports around the map and transport them in one of my "Gros Ventre's" or "Indiaman's" because it is cheaper than producing it yourself.

The only production buildings I have, is a Copper Mine, Iron Ore Mine, Coal Mine and Hemp Plantation. These materials are used in large quantities to make ingots, then coins, is needed to craft many parts. I find that Coal is used more than any other mineral for crafting, than anything else. All my buildings are at Ports in Jamaca, so I can easily transport stuff to my Warehouse in Port Royal, where I also have my level 3 Shipyard.

I use my small Trader Brigs for trading and collecting materials to use, at each area where I have my outposts. Once I have enough materials to fill my large trader ships, I take them to Port Royal and unload into my warehouse. Sometimes to break the monotony  I might just take on a contraband trader Snow just for a bit of fun and the prize, if it doesn't manage to get away. 

So as you can see, I have plenty to do in this game, without it becoming boring and enough choice to change my mind if I fancy a break from one task or another. After crafting session, I do a bit more trading, to keep my funds at a healthy level, so far just over 27 million.

• Like 1

The Mercury bluepring will have dropped from one of those two NavyBrigs, so that's that solved :).

Crafting is addicting, when you can build bigger ships you actualy use its the most fun, you no longer need to buy ships that don't have your desired specs, you just build one yourself.

This will save you allot of money, and the ships you once bought might be sold for one you have built yourself, so you'll get a bit of refund.

If you have saved up enough copper ore to get you through crafting lower level ships, you could start a silver mine in pedro cay. Mid grade notes are sometimes even more expensive then high grade notes as they are also used for modules.

Worth trying out is building an ultra fast ship once you have the right rank (if you say you have the funds and materials to do so), reno's or rattlesnakes are notoriously fast, Exceptional fir speed one, with gold copper plating and gold speed trim (and the frigate or light ship officer perk) should give you a ship that will make you catch up with traders easily. Especialy the rattlesnake with its front chasers is an ultimate fast trader catcher. I have no numbers on this but some run 14 to 15kn as fas as I've heard.

• Like 1

Yes it is my intention to build my own larger ships eventually, when I reach the desired crafting level. I already have a (bought) gold Rattlesnake with copper bottom and speed trim, which I have used to catch traders, but I haven't used it just recently. I have been using a (gold) Gros Ventre for this purpose. Yesterday, I took on a Gros Ventre Trader with my Gold Indiaman for a change, and did quite a lot of damage to it. I got it down to less than one hundred crew, with one side completely gone. Unfortunately, it managed to get away, as I got stuck in a head wind (in irons) before I could catch her again. It just disappeared from the screen and the Battle Over message came up on screen. However I got quite a good reward of gold and XP, but I was hoping on capping the ship as well. Never mind, you can't win them all. The Indiaman is a bit slow against a Gros Ventre and that's probably why I lost it. 

Per last patch notes, it's 5% of combat XP...if there's been a hotfix change to that, I don't remember reading such.   http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15862-patch-994-alliances-new-ships-new-features/

Unfortunately, XP earned this way apparently doesn't apply to one's officer....which makes this feature currently irrelevant for any crafter who's reached top rank.  Rather annoying.

@Billy, you can name the PvP1 character something different if you wish.   Many people just use the same name to be more immediately recognizable to friends/acquaintances from other servers.

It still gives you xp to you officer, but it seems delayed. I just lost the last life on mine and I ranked him up 5 levels on my redemables (I'm curse so no other use for them.)   It seems a bit delayed though so doesn't happen that moment.  I think it showed up in a about 5-10 mins on the officers xp though.

It still gives you xp to you officer, but it seems delayed. I just lost the last life on mine and I ranked him up 5 levels on my redemables (I'm curse so no other use for them.)   It seems a bit delayed though so doesn't happen that moment.  I think it showed up in a about 5-10 mins on the officers xp though.

Interesting.  Several of my clannies had tested it before, but I guess didn't account for a potential delay (why would one do so?).

That's good news then...makes the redeemable XP somewhat worthwhile to Rank 10 players, especially as it can be stored indefinitely.

under the gunslot for example it will say:

Gundeck

[6-9]/[4-8]

this is cannons/carronades class types you can use

[6-9] in this case means you can equip: class6 class7 class8 or class9 long or medium cannons

[4-8] the later number is the carronades, means you can equip class4 to class8 carronades in the specific slot

the Brig's largest armament is 6 pound cannons or 18 pound carronades for example, if you buy 9 pound cannons you cant fit them on a brig

under the gunslot for example it will say:

Gundeck

[6-9]/[4-8]

this is cannons/carronades class types you can use

[6-9] in this case means you can equip: class6 class7 class8 or class9 long or medium cannons

[4-8] the later number is the carronades, means you can equip class4 to class8 carronades in the specific slot

the Brig's largest armament is 6 pound cannons or 18 pound carronades for example, if you buy 9 pound cannons you cant fit them on a brig

I think the above comment by Lurken, has been posted in the wrong thread. Or has already been said before.

Yes it is my intention to build my own larger ships eventually, when I reach the desired crafting level. I already have a (bought) gold Rattlesnake with copper bottom and speed trim, which I have used to catch traders, but I haven't used it just recently. I have been using a (gold) Gros Ventre for this purpose. Yesterday, I took on a Gros Ventre Trader with my Gold Indiaman for a change, and did quite a lot of damage to it. I got it down to less than one hundred crew, with one side completely gone. Unfortunately, it managed to get away, as I got stuck in a head wind (in irons) before I could catch her again. It just disappeared from the screen and the Battle Over message came up on screen. However I got quite a good reward of gold and XP, but I was hoping on capping the ship as well. Never mind, you can't win them all. The Indiaman is a bit slow against a Gros Ventre and that's probably why I lost it. 

Traders, even armed traders like the Le gros ventre, will run and escape if they can. The best tactic to use, especialy if your ship is slower, is to chain her sails down to a point where you have no trouble catching up with her. You could even go for a demast, that will drop her sailing to about 50% if you manage to take one of the three main masts off, the crew will give a very satisfying cheer when you manage to demast.

Against a LGV, you might run your own LGV and put carronades on it, this way you are as fast and as agile as the other LGV. You outgun her with the carronades, so you can go broadside to broadside. But you will end up with a damaged side and possible crew loss.

Stern raking is always the safest way to do this. Alternatively, if you have a rattlesnake, you can put it in your fleet and tell it to demast or chain the LGV, while you catch up with your indiaman.