Game-Labs Forum

OW Spyglass vs OW Flying

Suggestion,

Now that we are getting the long wished for open world spyglass, keep the ability to fly up and behind your ship in open world, but remove the ability to fly forward in any direction away from your ship.

Up till now, flying away from your ship was the only substitute for the lack of a spyglass. This, however, gave a huge and highly unrealistic tactical advantage for all players. You could fly forward past the outcropping of any land mass and peek around the corner to see if there were any big, bad wolves lying around. Conversely, the big, bad wolf could hide behind said outcropping and fly around the corner to see what prey may be approaching. As has been said before, having this ability is akin to having a 21st century aerial drone on an 18th century sailing ship.

Keeping the ability to, hover only, above and behind your ship gives minimal tactical advantage to all players while keeping the ability to see the beauty of Naval Action open world from, literally, a birds eye view (helpful on those long voyages). Think of it as a crows nest on steroids!

Captiva

I would keep "flying" option just because of the beautifull views in this game. What i would change tough is the visibility of other ships while flying.

Just to reiterate, you would retain the ability to fly above and hover behind your ship to enjoy the panoramic view in all directions, you just would not be able to fly away from your ship in all directions. 

As I understand it, the flying option has been maintained for the purposes of screenshots and videos.

It's of course an exploit, too, but in fairness you can only see ships that would be within your view radius from the normal 3rd person view.

Obviously you can see over / around things you wouldn't be able to see otherwise, but it's not like I can scout Mortimer Town from La Habana or something.

Really looking forward to the spyglass in the OW, though. Been missing that forever!!

I would keep "flying" option just because of the beautifull views in this game. What i would change tough is the visibility of other ships while flying.

If you couldn't get ship and port info while flying it would solve 90% of the problem but keep the pano views (which I agree are awesome)

I'd like to see more visible landmarks such as lighthouses go with such a change, and towns that are actually bright during night instead of the dimly lit ones we have now

Ahhh ... in the period in which this simulation/game is set, artificial light was limited to candle and lamp light ... 20th century brightness would be out of place. I have had no trouble finding cities at night, assuming my navigation is sound and I make landfall near the city.

Ahhh ... in the period in which this simulation/game is set, artificial light was limited to candle and lamp light ... 20th century brightness would be out of place. I have had no trouble finding cities at night, assuming my navigation is sound and I make landfall near the city.

I thought I did not specifically ask for modern 20th century brightness.

Lighthouses existed way before that. Ever heard of that one in Alexandria?

As I understand it, the flying option has been maintained for the purposes of screenshots and videos.

It's of course an exploit, too, but in fairness you can only see ships that would be within your view radius from the normal 3rd person view.

Obviously you can see over / around things you wouldn't be able to see otherwise, but it's not like I can scout Mortimer Town from La Habana or something.

Really looking forward to the spyglass in the OW, though. Been missing that forever!!

You will still be able to take screenshots and video from the "S" key perspective.

You've made my point that you can currently see over/around land masses, which is totally unrealistic. Now that we have the Open World Spyglass all Captains can swing a wide berth around any land mass outcropping, and then use his spyglass to search for any enemy presence - just like real life. This is infinity more realistic than flying around the ocean as if in an aerial drone.