Game-Labs Forum

Increase OW PvP Rewards

The rewards from OW PvP need to be increased as far as xp and possible mod drops go. The BR difference should also be taken into account to discourage, even a little, the gank squad players. People get way better rewards from grinding NPC's or even in undefended PB's then they currently do in a hard fought OW battle with a determined enemy. 

• Like 10

I fight OW PvP all the time.  Often it's Trinc v. Trinc.  I just got out of a Cerberus & Pirate Frigate v. Trinc fight.  Was good fun.

Issues I'm seeing:  

1.  People can surrender to avoid letting the player get the XP and gold bonus that was specifically put in place to try to balance OW PvP gains against PvE gains.

2.  Finding a good fight takes time.  You take a mission?  A nice set of crossed swords pops up on your map.  You know exactly where to go, and how to get there.  OW PvP?  You have to hunt.  In all the meanings of the word.

I seem to get, on average, 300XP an hour hunting in my Trinc.  I think the expectation is 1500 an hour for PvE.  Just my own experiences, YMMV.

• Like 1

Use polls people, that way you make it easier for the dev to see which ideas are good for the player and which are not.

I agree with you, most people run away from fights, and more xp and gold reward would fix the problem since the ganker would get their PVP and the one being ganked would get xp/gold.

I don't enjoy ganking people and usually don't mess with smaller ships, but a couple of hour ago I had a renome chasing my constitution I payed no attention to it because I thought he was just on the same path as I was, but since he was staying on my side, ok I'll give you your fight I thought, he was a US flag captain named Pad, I think, and he kicked my ass more than I dare to admit, and I loved it , though at the moment I was so embarrassed that I didn't even replied his Gf message.

Also, how about creating some bigger rewards when you take a "superior" ship out in 1v1 pvp as well. If you are sailing a snow and defeat an opponent in a surprise, or your surprise takes out an opponent in a trinc, why the heck should they not be getting a whole hell of a lot more rewards than some mindless gold farmer killing a NPC? Really am tired of seeing the best way to make money (as far as fighting goes) in the game is to get a capped 3rd rate then go out and farm more mindless 3rd rates.....zero risk because it's just a disposable capped ship and you make a ton of money. This whole system needs to be refined if you ask me.

• Like 3

You want high PvP XP and Gold?

Get 20 of your buddies. Get nice big ships. Park up at a Capital and harass them until they come to fight you.

Buy a flag too if you want some nice mods.

I'm not bashing those who like to hunt down players for small engagements either, but really the double xp/gold is extremely profitable for those who like to PvP. I don't do 3rd Rate missions for gold anyways, I do 3rd rate missions to cap me some 3rds so I can kill pirate player fleets with some considerable (and expendable) firepower.

This is indeed a problem. Lately I ran more and more into the following problem, and this is a *big* problem I think:

PVP Battles are not as attractive to the players than PVE.

I am currently in Master and Commander rank so that port battles are not suitable for me. Instead I mostly patrol in front of my own coasts in hope of finding a suitable PVP battle. There are plently of occasions but they all fail due to the following reasons:

1). The attackers are in minority and ran away

2). I am in minority, was tagged and ran away, because I get almost no xp when there are 10 ships against 1: I do not have the slightest chance to make any remarkable damage before sinking .... which is of course the same reason as in 1).

3). I have a slighty superior oppenent (like yesterday a trinc vs my renommee) but no one joins the fight although there were at least 10 (!) ships of my nationalty around - why?

I think it's because the PVP system is not so attractive. I assume that the other ships were heading for PVE missions. I can understand this, because in one hour of gameplay you manage to fight 2 PVE battles which bring you far more xp and gold than patroling for your own nationalty in front of a harbour and getting no fight because everybody is only thinking about his own advantage.

I propose to give good *awards* (xp or gold or both) for courage (e.g. when a single ship engages 10 enemies instead of running away) and to give bad *malus* for superiority (which hopefully would have the consequence of more balanced battles, so nobody would try to overrun a single ship with ten own ships any more).

That might a be a really good argument for balanced PVP battles. And last not least it is a reminiscence to historic traditions: a captain would surely have got excellence rewards for courage for his own nationality.

But the consequence I would love to have the most is, that PVP would be more attractive to players, which must be the main objective in this game.

Edited by mikawa
  • Like 1

The best "reward" for a (historical) captain would be not to loose his ship...

and therefore not look out for a 1 vs. 10 battle...and sail away.

3). I have a slighty superior oppenent (like yesterday a trinc vs my renommee) but no one joins the fight although there were at least 10 (!) ships of my nationalty around - why?

Yes, know this. Main reason might be, that players are focused on their own stuff, being on TS or just not looking at national chat or the map. Some warning system (accustic bell) being heard by the ones next to a battle might certainly help...