Game-Labs Forum

unfortunately the original topic was locked while i was writing an answer :-)

but i would still like to say :

hurray ,horray ,hura !!!

implementing the duel will have a huge positive impact to this wonderful game .

it will give players who cannot contribute so much time to the game a perfect reason to play .

ad1: should there be durability loss?

probably the most controversy question .

if durability can be lost in pvp battles players have a reason to bail out of battle once they realize that their ship is going to sink.the more expensive their ship is ,the earlier they run.the durability loss would make it very risky to go into a duel with a durability 1 ship (loosing upgrades and cannons) .

i would answer : NO durability loss  and i would love to see that be changed for small and large battles too

ad2: rewards ?

in my opinion this is the point where major changes are needed.

if there would be no durability loss in all instant pvp battles i would take the gold completely out of the rewardings.players would fight in theese battles for "battlerankingpoints" and maybe a little bit xp .

unfortunately i am not at all a programmer so i have a hard time to know what "can be done" but i am throwing out my ideas regardless to that.

a good battleranking is the key to good pvp play.

i would still count the numbers of damage (hull,sail,crewkilled,ram,leaks etc),then give them a "value".(meaning ie causing a leak is worth a bit more than damaging a sail but a little less than killing crew).in that way each player in a battle has a certain value at the end of battle.things like "most hits on a target" or "final broadside"etc can add extra value.in a 1vs1 battle it is fairly easy to compare the value of the two players at the end of a battle but the more players are involved in a battle the more compex it gets.

i would give every player a battleranking of 0000 at start .

if a player finishes a 1vs1 battle with a higher value than his opponent he gains one battlepoint.if his value is more than double he gains two battlepoints.

now if there are more players involved in small or large battles i would make a list according to their value in battle and again reward battlepoints.

i.e.: 3vs3 small battle .player with highest value gains 5 battlepoints ,secondhighest gains 4 battlepoints 3-2-1- last player with lowest value gets zero points.

as overall reward for taking part in instant pvp battles i would propose several unique flags that can be seen in openworld.

of course one flag for the highest battleranking but also flags for ie "best ranking in saildamage"best ranking in crewkill" and many more....

after a period of time (i suggest weekly) the "battleking" will be honoured by putting him into the "hall of fame " and all battlerankings are reset to zero.

ad3 : leaderboards?

i my oppinon a leaderboars is imperative for a good ranked pvp experience .

i would put players battleranking right next to their rank in any "playerinfoscreen"

we need a hall of fame (as mentioned above)

all kinds of rewards could be connected to a leaderboard .ie: "extended openworld line of sight for the first 10 players of the leaderbord" or "5% higher openworld speed" for the last 100 players in leaderboard..

thanks for reading this :-)

No loss of dura - No Reward.

It will be a great testing / training environment. And that's how it should be pushed...

Keep PvP to OW game mechanics for the most part.

No encouragement needed except the possibility of becoming a better Captiain & maybe learn something in these duel environments.

No loss - good.

No Rewards - even better.

Leaderboards - meh...

I like the concept of leaderboards and tracking but in practice they become epeen waving drama creating bs.  Players and Guilds start being measured on their "rank" or whatever measure.  As an alternative maybe just a medal system as you reach a certain point/number of duels/wins you just get a new one.  Or a title.  Anyway, everyone likes waving epeens, even myself, prolly making this an unpopular opinion overall.

I am also curious if this will make the Small Battles mechanic even more useless and will this hurt solo roaming?  Riskless PvP is still Riskless PvP.

Edited by kovah
  • Like 1