Game-Labs Forum

[PVP2] Humble Opinions Concerning the Current Ideologies of the Pirate "Nation"

Frostben

As of the moment we can categorize the Pirate "Nation" into 3 categories or Ideals:

1)Super-Pirate Nationalists. These pirates believe that it is of the utmost importance that we all defend Mortimer Town and its surrounding ports and shove back the American and British Clans swarming the areas no matter the cost. I believe it can be said that we all admire these pirates for their brave efforts in maintaining the few ports left around Mortimer Town itself.

2)The South-Eastern Coalition Pirates, whom believe that Mortimer Town and its position as the Pirate capital is absolutely disadvantageous being in the middle of the Americans, British, and Spanish territory. With this view they sought to control the Lesser Antilles and work from a much more strategic position to allow an area for those who wish to strengthen their forces through crafting and leveling and someday make a much more formidable force in the Bahamas.

3)"True" or "PVP" Pirates. This is where most of the bickering seems to come from, they simply believe that the whole Pirate "Nation" and conquering of ports is simply not what "real" pirates do. They would rather attack trade ships and attack other players of opportunity.

This categorization does not include Individual Pirate captains who do a little bit of everything (PVP, crafting, trading, and commerce raiding).

Perhaps this can shed some light as to why the Pirates are how they are in their current situation both politically and socially with each other and other nations. With the split of 3 major pirate clans from the SE Coalition (Invictus going to the brits, OMG turning french, and CF going dutch to nurture their large number of low level players) their leaves only 3 Pirate Clans in the Lesser Antilles, BSO, FC, and SIN and a small number of individual Pirate captains. The Lesser Antilles is currently in a death struggle with the French who now have experienced OMG members with them, the question of the pirates being victorious or not will take a long time to answer.

The current direction of the development for diplomacy seems to suggest that the Pirate Faction will represent a caribean version of The Barbary States of North Africa, where other nations may bribe or pay off Pirate Lords to stop attacks towards their own ships and ports, possibly even use the Pirates as mercenaries for a proxy war against another nation or pay for the assistance of Pirate Clans in battle. However if this is the case then it may be very well expected that the Pirates will be used as a proving ground for PVP and to capture Pirate ports to increase territory without having to officially declare war against another nation.

It is my belief that if the diplomacy is developed this way it will bring together all 3 ideals, making room for each to cooperate with the other. However until this happens or if this happens it is most likely that the Pirates will remain divided unless the South-Eastern Coalition is decisively defeated and chased out of the Lesser Antilles back to Mortimer Town.

• Like 2

Too many chiefs, not enough indians is the problem. Every clan out there is steering their own way and 1 out of every 5 pirates is hellbent on being a clan leader so yeah, unity is kind of a PITA to get.

From day 1 on this server, CF has seen more pirate clans form than we've been able to recruit members. Good luck changing individualism and powermongering.

The problem with #2 is the same reason we French did not want to move to Louisiana regardless of how ugly it got for us in our starter area: I think it's a death sentence for your team to be separated from its capital. It makes it that much harder for any new players to get started AND for anyone to transfer over. Transferring people to France was easy with us fighting within a 45 minute drive of the capital. No big deal to help people transfer their stuff and get them set back up in Fort Royal.

So I think pirates are hurting themselves by trying to hold onto that southeast zone. Even if it works I think you'd cause more harm than good to your team in the long run. The handful of veterans would enjoy it but no new blood would likely join the team just because the startup is so unattractive.

Whereas I think #1 should be attractive if you, well, look at what the French did. Lots of fighting in smaller ships. Lots of shallow port battle defenses (which are frankly almost impossible for attackers to win, especially if the defenders teleport in). Basically take everything that was learned fighting us and try applying it to the forces around your starter area. It should result in non-stop PvP. Frankly if I had known that most of the pirates would run off and then quit, I would have made Purge be a pirate guild! We would be doing our Pedernales Defense except it would probably be endless around Mortimer Town. (Maybe we'd get tired of it eventually but I dunno, we didn't get tired of Pedernales. It was, if anything, just exhausting to PvP literally all night every night for as long as we wanted. I slept like the dead on the weekends trying to make up for the late nights.)

We're too invested in France now to want to do that but honestly I don't know why more pirates don't want that. You joined the PvPingest team on the PvP server. Why is anyone in the corner??

For our part, we are doing our best to gently nudge your teammates back to Mortimer Town. At some point they have got to get tired of moving their outposts. And now they've lost the reinforcement bubble around Cano Mac so their favorite thing to do is going to be a lot harder.

#3 is viable too, incidentally, though technically any team can do that. It's probably what we French would have done, had the pirates been able to totally wipe us out.

I still think #1 is a solid choice if approached with the right thinking but #3 can certainly be done as well. #2 at this point seems silly. The French, if I may suggest, are not going to give that up, and have been demonstrating that they have the firepower to take it back.

The problem with #2 is the same reason we French did not want to move to Louisiana regardless of how ugly it got for us in our starter area: I think it's a death sentence for your team to be separated from its capital. It makes it that much harder for any new players to get started AND for anyone to transfer over. Transferring people to France was easy with us fighting within a 45 minute drive of the capital. No big deal to help people transfer their stuff and get them set back up in Fort Royal.

So I think pirates are hurting themselves by trying to hold onto that southeast zone. Even if it works I think you'd cause more harm than good to your team in the long run. The handful of veterans would enjoy it but no new blood would likely join the team just because the startup is so unattractive.

Whereas I think #1 should be attractive if you, well, look at what the French did. Lots of fighting in smaller ships. Lots of shallow port battle defenses (which are frankly almost impossible for attackers to win, especially if the defenders teleport in). Basically take everything that was learned fighting us and try applying it to the forces around your starter area. It should result in non-stop PvP. Frankly if I had known that most of the pirates would run off and then quit, I would have made Purge be a pirate guild! We would be doing our Pedernales Defense except it would probably be endless around Mortimer Town. (Maybe we'd get tired of it eventually but I dunno, we didn't get tired of Pedernales. It was, if anything, just exhausting to PvP literally all night every night for as long as we wanted. I slept like the dead on the weekends trying to make up for the late nights.)

We're too invested in France now to want to do that but honestly I don't know why more pirates don't want that. You joined the PvPingest team on the PvP server. Why is anyone in the corner??

For our part, we are doing our best to gently nudge your teammates back to Mortimer Town. At some point they have got to get tired of moving their outposts. And now they've lost the reinforcement bubble around Cano Mac so their favorite thing to do is going to be a lot harder.

#3 is viable too, incidentally, though technically any team can do that. It's probably what we French would have done, had the pirates been able to totally wipe us out.

I still think #1 is a solid choice if approached with the right thinking but #3 can certainly be done as well. #2 at this point seems silly. The French, if I may suggest, are not going to give that up, and have been demonstrating that they have the firepower to take it back.

These categories are not plans for the future,they  merely state the current mindsets and Ideals already in action.

The damage is unfortunately already done for the South-Eastern Coalition, the original plan was to never wipe out the French but force them into a position in which we could force a peace treaty and keep large amounts of ports. Whether or not the pirates and french could operate in the future together was also in mind, however this never happened and the splintering of the Coalition made it impossible. That being said, BSO had decided to stick it out even if it means basing out of free ports.

Also you are forgetting the main reason for the South-Eastern Coalition, to escape the constrictions of having 3 power factions crushing you all at once. Imagine the beginnings of the Pirate occupation of the Lesser Antilles and instead triple the size of the enemy fleets and constant port assaults without break. BSO was one of the last clans to leave Mortimer for the Coalition and we saw the Americans roll down the Bahamas with 70+ high level sailors non stop. It was much worse than the French situation.

Also #3 is honestly a fine thing for pirates to do, but the fact that many of them shove it down others throats is quite irritating.

Don't forget the last few paragraphs i wrote, this post was never meant to point out a solution for the problems that we face, merely shed light and explain the situation for why things have gotten to this point. Its not really meant to justify anything nor try and persuade others to take a different course of action.

Don't forget the last few paragraphs i wrote, this post was never meant to point out a solution for the problems that we face, merely shed light and explain the situation for why things have gotten to this point. Its not really meant to justify anything nor try and persuade others to take a different course of action.

Understood.

However the reason the Pirates are in the state they are is because people wanted to drive big ships and NOT because they were being hit by a bunch of Zergs.

The Pirates had enough people to defend the bulk of those shallow water ports endlessly. It doesn't matter if 70 US ships come down they can only put 25 in a port battle with limited BR. Had people stayed and played in light ships the Brits and US could have been stonewalled very easily.

I bring this up not as a criticism but to remind Pirates that a minimum of 2 map-resets are coming so they get two more chances to get it right.

If you want an influx of new players it is wise to stick close to your capitol even if you lose all the ports around it. Use the Free towns to exist so you can teach new players how to exist in your nations current state. Eventually the tables will turn.

Running to the south east was a huge mistake and as long as you guys are there your numbers will continue to decrease. Eventually more zergs are going to show up not to mention the French will keep fighting. By continuing to stay in the south east all you guys are doing is hurting your chances to get new players.

If you are going to run never run to another place where a capitol is near by. If you can't lock a place down a zerg can't hold it forever.

This is the first pirates thread ive seen that acually points to real issues with the pirates and the reason they are how they are.

First alot of pirates feel they have no choice but to nation build because we are stuck with a capital city amd its in between US , britain and spain . This is on the way the game is set up and i cant see this issue being resolved until the pirates are " finished" being developed. Simply letting us hide identity and use any port would end that entire problem and then whichever are the top 3 or 4 ports that have pirate outpost in them could show up on the pirate maps as pirate hotspots so we know where to find our brethren.

Second problem why there is a drive for a pirate nation is because the nation factions dont play historical either thus forcing pirates to change history. The national factions should be economy driving with the bulk of the players in merchant and small patrol ships 90% of the time. I mean massive sols sat in harbor or were sent for the purposes of war not ganking and there was a limited number of these ships available. So again unless the developers change nation play how can the pirates be expected to change? Its like asking them to play chess bit only giving them pawns and only 3 of them.

Lastly i play a pirate on that server and wont air pirate laundry but as a pirate who " plays the part" of a pirate of the 1800s i am constantly under attack from faction members for not attacking ports.

I and 1 friend play as pirates and went to find waters to call our own and have been there for 3 weeks and have not seen one single pirates! ! That is ludicrous toe that pirates are forced to play this war game instead of being all over in strong packs.

Im interested in knowing if any other faction players have went 3 weeks without seeing one person from thier faction? How messed up is it for us to never see a single pirate?

Pirates need help from devs is they are expected to change and until they get it they will be a fractured faction amd it wont be anyonrs fault. I also wish the 30 anti pirates post saying the same thing would stop because they are simply asking for something that cant be changed.

• Like 1

This is the first pirates thread ive seen that acually points to real issues with the pirates and the reason they are how they are.

Thank you that was the main reason for this post in the first place. Many people shout and exclaim about how dumb it is for pirates to be doing this and that when they should be doing that or this without understanding the reasons for the current actions being taken by clan leaders. Also as you mentioned, the pirates and other nations don't know how the pirate faction should be played given the current state of the game which is one of the main sources for all this division in the first place. Many pirate captains have justified their actions under the pretext of "We're pirates and this is what pirates should be doing in the first place because blah blah blah" when we cannot fully understand our role in this game.

Understood.

However the reason the Pirates are in the state they are is because people wanted to drive big ships and NOT because they were being hit by a bunch of Zergs.

The Pirates had enough people to defend the bulk of those shallow water ports endlessly. It doesn't matter if 70 US ships come down they can only put 25 in a port battle with limited BR. Had people stayed and played in light ships the Brits and US could have been stonewalled very easily.

I bring this up not as a criticism but to remind Pirates that a minimum of 2 map-resets are coming so they get two more chances to get it right.

If you want an influx of new players it is wise to stick close to your capitol even if you lose all the ports around it. Use the Free towns to exist so you can teach new players how to exist in your nations current state. Eventually the tables will turn.

Running to the south east was a huge mistake and as long as you guys are there your numbers will continue to decrease. Eventually more zergs are going to show up not to mention the French will keep fighting. By continuing to stay in the south east all you guys are doing is hurting your chances to get new players.

If you are going to run never run to another place where a capitol is near by. If you can't lock a place down a zerg can't hold it forever.

We are maybe 30min to 1h away to the SE if the wind is bad... so na it's not that biog of an issue.

New players shoudl be ready to sail for a while anyway as they always get lost just starting a long trip is the best learning experience!

Edited by crisaron

We are maybe 30min to 1h away to the SE if the wind is bad... so na it's not that biog of an issue.

New players shoudl be ready to sail for a while anyway as they always get lost just starting a long trip is the best learning experience!

Its actually about a 2 hour trip from Mortimer Town to Camp du Roy. That's if you don't get tagged along the way by Brits, which is unlikely to happen.

Wind is irrelevant on such a long trip, you'll have it straight in your face several times on your way no matter what you do.

Edited by OJ.Die Antwoord

Its actually about a 2 hour trip from Mortimer Town to Camp du Roy. That's if you don't get tagged along the way by Brits, which is unlikely to happen.

Wind is irrelevant on such a long trip, you'll have it straight in your face several times on your way no matter what you do.

in a cutter it's a bit faster...

I believe you picked the Antilles because Aves presented a ready made base. But just for the sake of arguement did you gents even consider the Western Gulf if Mexico or the Panama? There are no capitols anywhere near these frontier spots. You would have had to take one temporary stepping stone port to get there. But even that separation would make that frontier belong to just the pirate coalition that much more. It also would have provided relatively virgin territory others wouldn't have been as fired up to defend. Admit it, Aves drew you in like a shiney object. Edited by Bach

As of the moment we can categorize the Pirate "Nation" into 3 categories or Ideals:

1)Super-Pirate Nationalists. These pirates believe that it is of the utmost importance that we all defend Mortimer Town and its surrounding ports and shove back the American and British Clans swarming the areas no matter the cost. I believe it can be said that we all admire these pirates for their brave efforts in maintaining the few ports left around Mortimer Town itself.

2)The South-Eastern Coalition Pirates, whom believe that Mortimer Town and its position as the Pirate capital is absolutely disadvantageous being in the middle of the Americans, British, and Spanish territory. With this view they sought to control the Lesser Antilles and work from a much more strategic position to allow an area for those who wish to strengthen their forces through crafting and leveling and someday make a much more formidable force in the Bahamas.

3)"True" or "PVP" Pirates. This is where most of the bickering seems to come from, they simply believe that the whole Pirate "Nation" and conquering of ports is simply not what "real" pirates do. They would rather attack trade ships and attack other players of opportunity.

This categorization does not include Individual Pirate captains who do a little bit of everything (PVP, crafting, trading, and commerce raiding).

Perhaps this can shed some light as to why the Pirates are how they are in their current situation both politically and socially with each other and other nations. With the split of 3 major pirate clans from the SE Coalition (Invictus going to the brits, OMG turning french, and CF going dutch to nurture their large number of low level players) their leaves only 3 Pirate Clans in the Lesser Antilles, BSO, FC, and SIN and a small number of individual Pirate captains. The Lesser Antilles is currently in a death struggle with the French who now have experienced OMG members with them, the question of the pirates being victorious or not will take a long time to answer.

The current direction of the development for diplomacy seems to suggest that the Pirate Faction will represent a caribean version of The Barbary States of North Africa, where other nations may bribe or pay off Pirate Lords to stop attacks towards their own ships and ports, possibly even use the Pirates as mercenaries for a proxy war against another nation or pay for the assistance of Pirate Clans in battle. However if this is the case then it may be very well expected that the Pirates will be used as a proving ground for PVP and to capture Pirate ports to increase territory without having to officially declare war against another nation.

It is my belief that if the diplomacy is developed this way it will bring together all 3 ideals, making room for each to cooperate with the other. However until this happens or if this happens it is most likely that the Pirates will remain divided unless the South-Eastern Coalition is decisively defeated and chased out of the Lesser Antilles back to Mortimer Town.

Good post Ben. Good to see you other than just through a cannon site. May I ask which of these three types of pirates you would prefer to play if situations were different?

I believe you picked the Antilles because Aves presented a ready made base. But just for the sake of arguement did you gents even consider the Western Gulf if Mexico or the Panama? There are no capitols anywhere near these frontier spots. You would have had to take one temporary stepping stone port to get there. But even that separation would make that frontier belong to just the pirate coalition that much more. It also would have provided relatively virgin territory others wouldn't have been as fired up to defend. Admit it, Aves drew you in like a shiney object.

For us it was the town dencity and the mutliple nation (spanish, sweden, french) which are not just zergs.

Nice PVP, great trading

Good post Ben. Good to see you other than just through a cannon site. May I ask which of these three types of pirates you would prefer to play if situations were different?

Haha thanks it feels good to make oneself known throughout the community through writing instead of being shot at.

To be honest when BSO decided to join the South-Eastern Coalition I was personally tied between staying at Mortimer and joining them in the SE, but ultimately I decided that where my clan goes I shall go. If situations were different however and BSO decided to join the defense of Mort I would gladly accept the title of a Nationalistic Pirate.

totes happy what your clan and all those who tagged with you done but it's not like you can't teleport back to help like i do, sadly now U.S have free reign over louisiana and crafting is going to start getting painful as a result, doable but painful. Although with that area gone us northern folk will have to go back down or come up with a migration plan for another alt area so I look forward to see what happens.

Edited by Lefort

totes happy what your clan and all those who tagged with you done but it's not like you can't teleport back to help like i do

Well that's the problem: it's a one way trip.

I can teleport up north to help with Fort Royale area and suck up the 45 minute trip back south if something erupts down there and probably still arrive in time to matter.

With Louisiana it's a commitment for the next 4 hours. The teleport window actually cycles faster than it would take to sail back. I don't wanna be there for 4 hours.

What we really need is a new guild of like 20 members that wants to just live there full time. Maybe one of those pirate guilds can join France and do it. It would be like joining France minus Slamz because I never go out there! It's everything they could want!

What we really need is a new guild of like 20 members that wants to just live there full time. Maybe one of those pirate guilds can join France and do it. It would be like joining France minus Slamz because I never go out there! It's everything they could want!

I love how you acknowledge that no one out of your faction likes you very much, especially the remaining pirate clans.

• Like 1

I believe you picked the Antilles because Aves presented a ready made base. But just for the sake of arguement did you gents even consider the Western Gulf if Mexico or the Panama? There are no capitols anywhere near these frontier spots. You would have had to take one temporary stepping stone port to get there. But even that separation would make that frontier belong to just the pirate coalition that much more. It also would have provided relatively virgin territory others wouldn't have been as fired up to defend. Admit it, Aves drew you in like a shiney object.

Aves simply was the farthest pirate city from Mortimer. The guys that founded CF are Eve players and had that nullsec mentality of getting away from the noob zone. All the noobs followed so we kinda failed, lol.

• Like 1

I love how you acknowledge that no one out of your faction likes you very much, especially the remaining pirate clans.

Actually I get along with everyone just fine, except for the pirates that invaded France and continue to do so, who I think I should not be expected to get along with.

But even there I'd be perfectly happy to bury the hatchet, assuming they have relocated out of French space (or rolled French).

I imagine some pirate guilds may well hold a grudge forever, probably even into new teams (and new usernames, and map resets) but my grudges so far have been objective based. No more objective? No more grudge. I don't plan to go camp Mortimer Town for "revenge against all pirates" or anything.

Edited by Slamz

HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

" i think you should go back to ur starting area... we tried to nudge them... but ended up getting pirates who WERE them join us to help us nudge them, even though they switched sides because the pvp was crap, and if they leave they wont have any pvp"

Great fun.  love the line of thought, much laugh... such logic.

as for the "outpost" cost.  dont worry, we all got money out the yang.  moving a port once or twice a month isnt to costly.

Edited by Aydz

Actually I get along with everyone just fine, except for the pirates that invaded France and continue to do so, who I think I should not be expected to get along with.

But even there I'd be perfectly happy to bury the hatchet, assuming they have relocated out of French space (or rolled French).

I imagine some pirate guilds may well hold a grudge forever, probably even into new teams (and new usernames, and map resets) but my grudges so far have been objective based. No more objective? No more grudge. I don't plan to go camp Mortimer Town for "revenge against all pirates" or anything.

after this comment... 

general feeling is... eulogy and those scrubby pirates... the "gentle nudge" will never happen.  we'll just set up outpost from mac to plymouth and mission jump you guys till the cows come home.

Its gonna be a great month for pirates.  You taking those ports back with the help of former scrubby pirates only ensured we want to stay, no more port battles... just missions... missions and ganks.  maybe we can "nudge" you into fighting the swiss or the dutch... then we'll just camp your port battles and pick you off with the opposing side.  ohhhh slammy... your gonna love taking our ports.  Not having them is freeing.

after this comment... 

general feeling is... eulogy and those scrubby pirates... the "gentle nudge" will never happen.  we'll just set up outpost from mac to plymouth and mission jump you guys till the cows come home.

Its gonna be a great month for pirates.  You taking those ports back with the help of former scrubby pirates only ensured we want to stay, no more port battles... just missions... missions and ganks.  maybe we can "nudge" you into fighting the swiss or the dutch... then we'll just camp your port battles and pick you off with the opposing side.  ohhhh slammy... your gonna love taking our ports.  Not having them is freeing.

That's the spirit mate!