Game-Labs Forum

What is the ship on this screen?

PIerrick de Badas

As much as I hate to quote myself, Bungee ;)

That´s most probably the french merchant ship Gros Ventre ('Big Belly') of 1766. Same designer as the Belle Poule, by the way: Leon-Michel Guignance.

And the Concorde-class Hermione of 1779 was designed by Henri Chevillard sr. as far as I know.

Edited by Malachi

Name in setting construction: le Gros-ventre

Date 1766-1779

Built by Léon Michel Guignace (Plan by Jean-Joseph Ginoux)

Constructed in Bayonne

Data:

Length x beam x moulded depht

112' x 25' x 13'3"

36.40 m x 13 m x 4.30 m

400tx

Artillery of origin:

10 to 16-gun of the 6bl

Sistre ship = la Tamponne

Model :

http://5500.forumactif.org/f36-le-gros-ventre-1766-plans-gerard-delacroix

http://modelisme.arsenal.free.fr/artdumodelisme/Le%20Gros%20Ventre/index.html

Every other nation used converted merchantmen and tired warships as naval transports, only the french seem to have used these lovely frigate-built gaberres, purpose intended as transports but with the appearance and speed of a real frigate.

A little smaller than the Belle Poule, 120ft Imperial compared to 141ft, but very fine lines. With no need to be a stable gunnery platform or carry heavy guns the hull is just 26ft 7in wide, giving a length to beam ratio of 4.48:1 (most frigates are about 4:1).

Armed with 16 6lb guns and about 70 crew, she does not have the capacity of an Indiaman but makes up for it with speed. Lovely ship that I'm very much looking forward to sailing.

• Like 1

Well..

At first glance I would have bet all I had to give that she was a downgraded Belle Poule. Her lines and whole appearance look really, really close to each other.

So I went ahead and researched about those two ship. And suddenly I got the right clue.

Léon Guignace was indeed the designer of both of these two beautiful vessels.

He was a genious shipdesigner. L'Hermione is also designed by him. A superb architect I may add.

In conclution I may have lost my bet but I wasnt off too far ;)

L'hermione is a "Concorde class" Frigate. Concorde Class was designed by Pierre and Henri Chevillard, not Leon Guignace.

Edited by Lestan de Lioncourt

well. Sure enough I didnt doublecheck what I found. But why the heck would wikipedia link me to one of the most famous ships through this man?  Interesting. Maybe someone should correct that.

(looking at both shiptypes BP and Hermione there are very destinctive differences in their hulldesigns thats for sure)

pardon me that mistake

Every other nation used converted merchantmen and tired warships as naval transports, only the french seem to have used these lovely frigate-built gaberres, purpose intended as transports but with the appearance and speed of a real frigate.

A little smaller than the Belle Poule, 120ft Imperial compared to 141ft, but very fine lines. With no need to be a stable gunnery platform or carry heavy guns the hull is just 26ft 7in wide, giving a length to beam ratio of 4.48:1 (most frigates are about 4:1).

Armed with 16 6lb guns and about 70 crew, she does not have the capacity of an Indiaman but makes up for it with speed. Lovely ship that I'm very much looking forward to sailing.

Cool beans. The game could use a large merchant ship that is as fast as frigates.

Chapman´s Architectura Navalis has another one, Le Chameau ('Camel') of 1744. Like the Renommée, she was designed under supervision of Blaise Ollivier and famous for her sailing qualities. And she was huge, 150 feet lbp with a length to breadth ratio of 4.7.

AlFO2It.jpg?1

Chapman most probably copied the design proposal, in reality she carried 24 8-pounders and 12 6-pounders.

The right side of this drawing could show her stern decorations:

6OkalH9.jpg?1

Edited by Malachi