Game-Labs Forum

Nation ports - Production - Most importantly.... MEDKITS

Ok, so now that the medkits have been around a bit, the new crew system is becoming... well tedious.  I love the concept, but i just dont like the fact that crew management is well... a GDMF GRIND.  

That being said, I want to point something out that has been mentioned before, but I see this being more of an issue lately.

Thats ports, outposts, and crafting resources.

I know for a fact that there have been multiple instances of nations getting knocked down to none or having just a couple ports.

In those instances crafting medkits... without ports/buidlings is wicked hard.   (I'm not talking about smuggling on trades ships, thats a separate thing and and not in anyway shape or form related).

Basically, having no ports means that the nations ability to build ships and medkits (as this is now a massive time sink or money sink) because... well... dog shiz.

I have seen it discussed before. and I still dont know why it hasnt been addressed more often.... but here is my suggestion.

1. nations having more than one "unconquerable" port... like maybe 2 or three in the vicinity of the capital that give ALL nations the same chance to craft some resources... ESPECIALLY medkits.  (without having to trade all over the map, i shouldnt have to sail around for 5 hours a day just to build a ship)

2. Have other capital LIKE ports for all nations spread out inside and around the gulf of mexico down along the Yucatan and such.  This has a couple reasons

a) Allows nations to freaking move out of their capital area and operate in other waters, ... basically if you're tired of fighting british all day, you can go fight somewhere else.

B) gives non-zerg nations the ability to fight OUTSIDE of their capital area.  

I mean, on every server the British nation has massive pop, so do the Americans... there are always one or two nations that get beat done to no ports.... it makes naval action turn into Naval Capitals.  

Arguments against freeports

Freeports to me are not "safe" areas... as most nations like Americans and Brits will mob around in the freeports in the vicinity of the capital nation they plan on zerging down.  Freeports provide safehavens for all nations including aggressors... port camping and picking off trade ships is common as these are the only OTHER ports subdued nations can use.

I'm just sick and tired of the arguments of nation pops, I mean nations are capping ports they arent EVEN USING just so they can paint the map one color.  Ports are economy and building life blood and I can ALMOST guarantee that if the british have 66 ports... they are probably using 10 of them collectively as a nation.

for the time being AT LEAST give the smaller nations with little ports the ability to craft medkits USING BUILDINGS in ports other than freeports.  Half the nations are fishing ANYWAY... maybe let us catch floating crates of tobacco... or rum.... SOMETHING

i am not completely satisfied with crew and medkits

i am levelling a new char right now to see how it works from the new player perspective

Leveling a new character is kind of hard with crew, well maybe not "hard," but annoying.  When you are rank 1 you have to return to port after every battle because you cannot send more crew to your ship after battle.  So you have to return to port, get your crew on your ship back to 40, then pick another mission or go find a new battle.

I think what needs to happen is the available crew needs to be 1.25x what you can command on a ship.  So a Midshipman can only put 40 crew on his ships (not including upgrades) but he has a crew pool of 50 crew.  A commodore can still only put 800 on a ship without upgrades, but has a crew pool of 1000.

I agree with much of the OP.  I have suggested a few times (here is one) that nations get more unconquerable ports.  Make sure these ports have resources to produce medkits.

• Like 1

Now that the Pirates are down to 2 ports around Mortimer, I can finally start to check whether there is any truth to this claim.

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15026-pvp1-july-tobbies-tobacco-imperium/?p=288350

I think we got the situation in hand now, Medkits are coming onto the market.

There are however a couple of underlying issues which I think need to be resolved:

• Being without owned ports, means production can not scale with more players.
  • Contract cost/tax means, more players involved into the production line leads to more cost. Again more players doesn't scale.
  • Contracts do not sell against AI, so sell contracts are mostly worthless on resources. Rather folks go for the lottery instead.
  • A forced minimum price on a contract also leads to inflated pricing. I consider a forced minimum price to be a bug.
Thus for a Nation to survive without any owned ports, the economy must be able to scale. Ergo the economy must be without artificial friction.

So I recommend that prior to a big economy patch, we first do a smaller one in which we fix the three items I mentioned above.

(I thought there was already a topic on the minimum price, but I can't find it.)

Note that the other economy proposals I keep tracked at: http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/15098-economics-patch-proposal/

Please take the three proposed changes into consideration.

Not sure how making medkits is, but shipbuilding without many ports is not hard, there is an over abundance of resources in enemy ports, bc the ports are rarely visited, that you can buy with the smuggler flag on a trade ship. Just look at the website Naval Action Craft under the tab 'Shop Prices' and you can find where to go.

Off topic, I wish that once you conquer a port, there has to be some upkeep otherwise it turns nuetral. Every port a nation owns IMO needs to have some meaning. Right now with the low-med server pop, there are too many dots on the map.