Game-Labs Forum

FPS drop and computer shutdown.

Kawa Ahangar

Hello mates!

I am facing a major hardware/software? issue. At some moment I am able to play the game without problem (40-50 fps). Nevertheless i have an ongoing problem :

- When i start my computer and launch the game I often get a 3-5 fpsdrop each 3 or 4 seconds which make the game unplayable. I use to restart game and/or computer. Sometimes it works and the game suffers no problem. Sometimes it does not work at all.
- When i can play normally i use to have another big problem which is my computer simply shutdown. Sometimes it never happens. Sometimes it happens after a random time using the game.

Start the game >> n°1 - 3-5 fps drop >> unplayable >> game/computer restart >> n°1 or n°2

>> n°2 - normal fps >> playable >> random time computer shutdown >> n°1 (most part of the time).

My computer is brand new and i did not experience or record problems of this kind on other games (i.e War Thunder at full graphic run at 100+fps and does not have fps drop).

After few days of brainstorming i think it might be a PSU (powersupply) problem. A friend of mine is coming tomorrow with a more powerfull PSU to find out if i am right.

PSU : Corsair 430W

MB : ASRock 980DE3/U3S3 R2.0

CPU : AMD Fx-6300 (Vishera) 6-cores (3.5ghz) (ACPI X64 i think)

GPU : Nvidia - Asus GTX 760 DirectCU II OC (2Go GDDR5)

RAM : 2x 4Go Fury HyperX DDR3 (1600Mhz)

Storage : Sandisk SSD 150Go

AA : off

Anisotropic : off

FXAA : off

(I used several settings : low / middle / high but no changes at all)

What do you think about this? Is this an already reported problem?

Edited by Champignac

ahoy,

You should check GPU temperatures. The open world is a GPU burner. Make sure you disable any AA in the settings. This will ease stress and result in better FPS as well.

Are your GPU's fans spinning up? (a friend of mine had that issue and resolved that by manually setting the fans)

PSU : Corsair 430W <--- Need more Juice. You are running on fumes. Get 500W+ at least to fully supply all pc components with power.

Also, could be case ventilation issue. Hot air has nowhere to escape and case gets hot when gaming causing GPU/CPU to hit max safe temperature before auto shut down kicks in.

-Get Arctic Silver CPU compound and replace it with what you have now. Get better CPU heat-sink or use water cooled kit from CoolerMaster. 

War Thunder won't cause CPU/GPU to heat up that much. Naval Action will. 

CyberPower-Viper-airflow.jpg

• Like 1

PSU : Corsair 430W <--- Need more Juice. You are running on fumes. Get 500W+ at least to fully supply all pc components with power.

Also, could be case ventilation issue. Hot air has nowhere to escape and case gets hot when gaming causing GPU/CPU to hit max safe temperature before auto shut down kicks in.

-Get Arctic Silver CPU compound and replace it with what you have now. Get better CPU heat-sink or use water cooled kit from CoolerMaster. 

CyberPower-Viper-airflow.jpg

1. TBH i doubt it, you can run a r9 290 off of a 500 watt power supply(that is pushing it a bit close, but its doable), while i would reccomend a bigger power supply, his PSU should be enough

2. Most of the time Thermal Paste included is good enough, no need to get anything expensive unless overclocking or something

3. agian, unless overclocking the stock one should do fine, however if you do get a cheap cooler master hyper 212 evo, personally i cant reccomend AIO water coolers except for the corsair h100i GTX or the EK Predetor 240/360

edit: also OP, can you provide the temps that you got and have you also overclocked something? i would try to see what you get with HWinfo, it will give all the temps you need and check your cpu socket and core temp there

Edited by OlavDeng2

• GeForce GTX 760 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 550 Watt power supply unit.

it is reccomended to use a 500W PSU by nvidia, its TDP is only 170 watts, add 125 for the CPU you get say 300 watt, add 50 for other bits and bops you get 350 watt, cutting it close but it is doable and do note, TDP is not necesarry the power it will draw, usually it is the max normal power draw so the actuall power draw might be lower

wind is right cx430 will not have pci-e power cables that means you have got to use your 4 pin connecters for the graphics card.650w is good.and happy hunting on ebay. :)sorry it as1- 6+2 pcie cable for normal use not hi end gaming.lol

Edited by tankgame

I tried to use Nvidia panel to disable most of the AA, Ani, etc that the game might not handle correctly. I just play about 5 hours without any kind of problem. Maybe there is link. Maybe not. I will tell you more about this tomorrow when i will try playing again.

max CPU temp was 73°        << my cpu has been evaluated at 95W

max GPU temp was 63°        << my gpu has been evaluated between 180W (from nvidia and few websites) to 330W (from two reliable websites)

Also i tried using Speedfan and a Register controller to check but none worked. They both made a BDOS on start. I would have more information on Wednesday about this.

Edited by Champignac

The power supply should not be an issue here, it toes the line at what would be recommended (500w) but is acceptable. Temperature should not be an issue either, both CPU and GPU are rated at 95 degrees, so even with low end cooling you should be fine (even if you used toothpaste as thermal paste, not recommended!)

Your issues most likely will come from software as opposed to hardware. Try a fresh install of the game if you haven't already, as well as your graphics drivers. It might also be worth verifying your registry (I know you said your computer was new, however installing the odd iffy program here and there can cause gremlins). 

How do you verify your registry?

Power might not be an issue, but could it be a faulty psu?  Faulty MB?  You said it randomly shuts off with no bsod?  If you were to play other games now, do they still work fine with your current setup or do you also get random shut downs?

The last person who would get lag spikes every 3-5 seconds had Bitdefender.  Do you have that?

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE :

- PSU : 430W > 550W.
- CPU cooler : basic one > Hyper TX3 evo

Overheating and shutdowns are no problem anymore.

Still i do have the same FPS random problem. I have to add that problem do not happens on War Thunder but it happens on League of Legends (even the animated screenload of the LOL launcher do lag).  I tried disabling my antivirus (360TOTALSECURITY) and cleaning my register with CCleaner... but the problem remains!

:angry: This starts to drive me crazier than i was!

edit : I was thinking it might be a problem of data transfer with my SSD. In the task manager i can see some pikes in the drive performances screen.

Edited by Champignac
  • Like 1

I am currently downloading an older version of the graphic pilot (the more recent on ASUS site). I'll try rollbacking.

P.S. : i tried a windows performances new evaluation and it stopped telling : "Impossible de mesurer les performances de lecture vidéo" / "Can not measure video playback performance"

My Nvidia driver was the last one up to date downloaded from the official website.

So i just rollback my driver from 361.43 to 353.62( the more recent on ASUS website : my GTX 760 was made by ASUS) and it works FINE for Naval Action and LOL... The windows evaluation did works too... 

REALLY I HATE COMPUTER SCIENCE! :angry:

P.S. : I recommand everyone to use "Display Driver Uninstall" software for this kind of rollback. you can get it in the download section of http://www.guru3d.com/

Edited by Champignac

My Nvidia driver was the last one up to date downloaded from the official website.

So i just rollback my driver from 361.43 to 353.62( the more recent on ASUS website : my GTX 760 was made by ASUS) and it works FINE for Naval Action and LOL... The windows evaluation did works too... 

REALLY I HATE COMPUTER SCIENCE! :angry:

P.S. : I recommand everyone to use "Display Driver Uninstall" software for this kind of rollback. you can get it in the download section of http://www.guru3d.com/

1. generally the newest drivers are the ones you get from the chip maker(either AMD or NVIdia) but im glad to see that that one works well, ive heard that NVidia drivers are getting worse and worse... especially for older cards, hope it doesnt fail as a computer enthusiast, i sometimes hate comptuers too

2. If you got an AMD card, you dont actually need to use DDU as AMD provides a tool(it is just the AMD uninstaller) which does exactly the same but for AMD cards.

2. If you got an AMD card, you dont actually need to use DDU as AMD provides a tool(it is just the AMD uninstaller) which does exactly the same but for AMD cards.

Nvidia can do it too using Nvidia panel.

Nevertheless i still recommend DDU considering it works for AMD/Nvidia/Intel. Rather this software forces you to uninstall in safemode and make all the necessary register modifications in a better way than constructor basic software will do.

Nvidia can do it too using Nvidia panel.

Nevertheless i still recommend DDU considering it works for AMD/Nvidia/Intel. Rather this software forces you to uninstall in safemode and make all the necessary register modifications in a better way than constructor basic software will do.

AMD software actually does excactly what DDU does, that is what i am saying, unlike the NVidia and intel, so you dont need any 3rd party apps(which some people dont trust, especially when they mess witch such low level stuff)

Hmm, let's think for a second. It's simple math actually.

The temps are fine both on cpu and gpu, right? Then it's not throttling.

You have 430W PSU. 
Your GPU uses 

-in IDLE = 121 W
-in FULL Stress = 279 W
Your CPU uses
-in IDLE = 72 W
-in FULL Stress = 146 W

+other things, for example in my configuration (one SSD, one 1TB HDD, 7 US3.0 ports, 6 USB2.0 ports, DVD RW drive etc) power draw is somewhere around 100 W, only from those small things 

Now, the math:

Your Cpu and Gpu both in full stress would use 425 W (achievable in synthesized tests, but not in the games)add USB ports, HDD and optical drives to that and you might push your power usage up to 500 W.
Now, your PSU is 430 W, but it's probably "80 Plus Bronze", which means it really gives you around 85% of that power.
430*0,85= 365,5 W (that's Energy conversion efficiency (η)) 

Buy a better PSU. beQuiet 600W L8 should be good enough. :)

EDIT: Oh and "random time computer shutdown" that has to be the PSU. You might even get BSOD's if the PSU is to weak. My friend had a similar situation with Radeon HD7950, but the problem occurred when he started overclocking his card and PSU was to weak to hold it. 

Edited by Count Maurice Benyovszky