Game-Labs Forum

FPS drop and computer shutdown.

Kawa Ahangar

Hmm, let's think for a second. It's simple math actually.

The temps are fine both on cpu and gpu, right? Then it's not throttling.

You have 430W PSU. 

Your GPU uses 

-in IDLE = 121 W

-in FULL Stress = 279 W

Your CPU uses

-in IDLE = 72 W

-in FULL Stress = 146 W

+other things, for example in my configuration (one SSD, one 1TB HDD, 7 US3.0 ports, 6 USB2.0 ports, DVD RW drive etc) power draw is somewhere around 100 W, only from those small things 

Now, the math:

Your Cpu and Gpu both in full stress would use 425 W (achievable in synthesized tests, but not in the games)add USB ports, HDD and optical drives to that and you might push your power usage up to 500 W.

Now, your PSU is 430 W, but it's probably "80 Plus Bronze", which means it really gives you around 85% of that power.

430*0,85= 365,5 W (that's Energy conversion efficiency (η)) 

Buy a better PSU. beQuiet 600W L8 should be good enough. :)

EDIT: Oh and "random time computer shutdown" that has to be the PSU. You might even get BSOD's if the PSU is to weak. My friend had a similar situation with Radeon HD7950, but the problem occurred when he started overclocking his card and PSU was to weak to hold it. 

where is the source on those idle and load numbers? are you mistaking full system power(which most reviewers use) for individual component power? because unless you are running a nuclear reactor most GPUs and CPUs dont run that much power at idle, load is more belivable but still above the TDP of both parts.

Also, the PSUs rated power is output, thus a 80plus platinum power supply @ 500watt is rated for same output as a 80plus 500watt PSU, the amount they pull from the wall however would be more for the 80plus rated one than the 80plus platinum one. It does however look like OP updating power supply helped.

Last suggestion OP, i would reccomend reinstalling windows fully, install the drivers, install naval action, make sure you have absolutely no AA on(not even FXAA) and report back here.

I said: 

"Your Cpu and Gpu both in full stress would use 425 W (achievable in synthesized tests, but not in the games)"

This is just "what if everything would ran at 100%" which actually is not that bad way of thinking, because when you overclock, your power draw goes even higher. (that's why you always round up your power usage, to get a future proof PSU)

For example I overclocked my 970 to whooping 1,55 Ghz core and 8,2 Ghz on memory, and the power limit is currently at 140%, which means it could draw almost 390 W, but it probably won't go past 350 W.
This is just a way of thinking, it's inaccurate, but you'll be safe with some extra power.

"Also, the PSUs rated power is output, thus a 80plus platinum power supply @ 500watt is rated for same output as a 80plus 500watt PSU, the amount they pull from the wall however would be more for the 80plus rated one than the 80plus platinum one. It does however look like OP updating power supply helped."

This is one of those "Wait, what?" moments  :D Yeah, everything you wrote is true, it's a confirmation to what I've written about PSUs.
The PSUs with 80+ Platinum certificate are more efficient than those with 80+ Bronze certicate.
The efficiency tells us how much electricity ( power) in the form of heat is irretrievably lost.

In other words efficiency is the ratio of power supply being on its output to the power drawn from the grid.
Let's say we have a 500 W PSU and the whole PC that pulls 250 W at full load, that puts our PSU at 50% load (which is actually peak efficiency)

Power drawn from the wall:
Basic - 312.5 W
Bronze - 304.9 W
Silver - 294.1 W
Gold - 277.8 W

Platinum - 271.7 W

What I wrote earlier was actually about, when the PC needs 365,5 W the PSU would actually draw 430 W from the grid to provide those 365,5 W for PC. (80+ Bronze)

I said that i was currently using a 550W from a friend but the result is the same.

Can it be software compatibility issue? like framework, flash, graphic settings, various driver, etc. or i was wondering if my screen which is very old (8y) could be the problem considering it cannot show what the GPU says (refreshHz, fps, etc)

Why would you want me to try reinstalling windows?   I used to have few problems at the moment a bought few components to build this computer. Since that moment i already made a few reinstalling for various reasons. The last one was made with a Daz-proper W7install (with Framework 4.6 as first soft install, etc.)

Yeah same things happened to me but with difirent games i solved it by using a program caled "MSI afterburner" and seting your fan% at difirent temeratures so the fan spins faster when nidded and for me it worked try it out maybe it helps you too.

1.Get MSI afterburner, set and enable OSD in RivaTuner to monitor what is happening with the gpu

2.Try this:

Yeah thats right my friend made me do that too to see with Riva when my GPU shuts down so i can make fan on the GPU with afterburner spin to the max.But it never dose with any type of a game it gets 65 degrese max.