Game-Labs Forum

Did anyone ever play Civil War Generals 2?

shindigero

So excited for Ultimate General: Civil War. Really enjoyed my play through of Gettysburg but this just looks like it'll be on another level. I'm particularly excited because this looks like a game I've always wished for: A successor to Civil War Generals 2. This was an old game from the 90s that I got a demo for on a CD copy of Pharoah I that I had as a kid. At the time I had no idea how to play it but I came back to I for a nostalgia trip at uni and realised it was actually incredible. Although it had been around 20 years, was entirely hex based and had incredibly pixelated graphics (from a time when it wasn't a conscious design choice) it blew almost all modern strategy games out of the water. I found it incredibly compelling and for a few months I couldn't get enough. It featured persistent historical commanders who could be wounded or killed, an army structured into corps of differing strengths (no boring cookie cutter generic regiments), a variety of historical weapons to equip your men with and a brilliant branching campaign that created a narrative without relying on a tedious and frankly unnecessary grand campaign (which is what always kills off my total war campaigns in the end. I can still play CWG2 but I does show its age sometimes. Anyway I'm sure from this you can tell why I'm so excited to hear about this new Ultimate General that seems like CWG2'S natural heir. I'm not sure what the point of this post is but I just wanted to know if anyone had played any of this strategy classic apart from me? If you haven't then id suggest giving it a go as, as far as I'm aware, its freely available now as abandonware (though a little tricky to get working for some).

• 4 weeks later...

There was a very old civil war game, a bit like total war, you raised armies and moved them around on theworld map. When armies came into proximity of each other it switched to a real time battle like this game. It was amazing  for its time and on the world map you would loose soldiers if you marched them long distances due to stragglers ect.Im sure you had rail and ship transport also. I sunk endless hours into that game.

I cant remember the name but it was donkeys years ago might of even been on my amiga 500

I used to play CWG2. Loved that game too, in its own way. This definitely feels like a spiritual successor, sans the "dynamic campaign".

3 hours ago, Fletch67 said:

There was a very old civil war game, a bit like total war, you raised armies and moved them around on theworld map. When armies came into proximity of each other it switched to a real time battle like this game. It was amazing  for its time and on the world map you would loose soldiers if you marched them long distances due to stragglers ect.Im sure you had rail and ship transport also. I sunk endless hours into that game.

I cant remember the name but it was donkeys years ago might of even been on my amiga 500

I think you might be referring to "The Blue and The Gray" (1993): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeDW6poY_5g

I used to play that game a lot too, but the "real-time battles" for me was really awkward and required a lot of micro just to get units to line up and face correctly. I still found it very fun in the way it represented the war in a dynamic campaign and playing out the battles tactically in real-time.

One of my favorite games of all time! Only problem is I haven't been able to play it in a while.  My CD appears to be scratched, and all of my laptops/ PC's are too modern and had trouble running it even before the scratches caused problems reading the disc.  I remember seeing that there was a patch available or something that would allow new computers to run it, does anyone have any suggestions?  Seems to be selling on eBay for a lot of money, I wish steam would add it to the store.

I actually still play CWG2 from time to time: I have it installed on my computer currently, though I haven't gone back to it for a couple of months now. The army management aspect of UG:CW reminds me of CWG2 very strongly, which is definitely a good thing!

Hell, maybe I should do a Let's Play of it sometime.

Edited by GeneralConfusion
Just needed to add something I thought of after posting.
  • Like 2

On 15-12-2016 at 9:19 PM, Malone66 said:

One of my favorite games of all time! Only problem is I haven't been able to play it in a while.  My CD appears to be scratched, and all of my laptops/ PC's are too modern and had trouble running it even before the scratches caused problems reading the disc.  I remember seeing that there was a patch available or something that would allow new computers to run it, does anyone have any suggestions?  Seems to be selling on eBay for a lot of money, I wish steam would add it to the store.

You can actually download it legally for free on here:
http://www.cwg2.org/

There are some youtube tutorials to get it to work on modern Windows systems like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaYLwevSFRg

It is a bit of work to get it to work, but the game is as addicting as ever. As James Cornelius mentioned though, the resolution can make your eyes bleed. But that just takes some getting used to.

Original CWG2 player here.  One of my all-time favorite PC games.  UG:CW looks like it has potential to make that list, too.  I haven't been this addicted to a PC game in quite a while.  Way too many late, late nights in just just a few weeks with this game.  UG:CW is definitely like CWG2 meets Total War.  I don't know if any developers will see this post or not, but if so, well done!  Looking forward to the finished product, but having tons of fun with the current version.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, James12637 said:

Actually you can try to give the CivWar2.exe Windows98 Compatibility on Properties. Click Start and then Alt-Tab to Desktop and change Resolution again.

I run on a Windows7.

5aad17bc7dacc_CivilWarGeneralsII.thumb.jpg.bf0c93b6de52c087820074a1277a3496.jpg

7 hours ago, LAntorcha said:

I own an original. An enhanced version was released in 2005.

IMG_20180317_124837.thumb.jpg.af10cb501baca6955b2ea5e88e3782ad.jpg

Civil War Generals II Songs <=== Music

that enanched version is aviable if you install the enached files here

http://cwg2enhanced.com/index.html

but when i tried to implement my copy of the game, i lost the sound effects.

here a link for the last patch CW29514H32 which should work on 64bit systems too

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/CivilWarGeneralsSeriesUpdates.html

Edited by ariete
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 3/17/2018 at 2:48 PM, ariete said:

that enanched version is aviable if you install the enached files here

http://cwg2enhanced.com/index.html

but when i tried to implement my copy of the game, i lost the sound effects.

here a link for the last patch CW29514H32 which should work on 64bit systems too

http://www.sierrahelp.com/Patches-Updates/Patches-Updates-Games/CivilWarGeneralsSeriesUpdates.html

I think the enhanced version requires its own scenarios, the base game scenarios will not work with them.

If anyone wants to play a play by email game let me know.  

Here is one of the custom maps:CWG2Wash1.png.46ca7daa0509a72163ae72b016e8c942.png